Advice Request Which security software to use for a a mid level user?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
I like Andy Ful's utilities although Hard_Configurator is over my head and probably most beginner-mid users.

I use Windows Defender+ConfigureDefender+Firewall Hardening+Simple Windows Hardening which do not give me any grief. Also Malwarebytes Premium which plays nicely with WD. I've used VoodooShield too but it's pretty annoying for casual users so instead I just run all downloaded executable files past SmartScreen & VirusTotal before opening.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I agree. Comodo may block sytem files, while OP says he is at beginner or mid-level user and may have problems identifying blocked/auto-contained system files. I used it when I was new and ran into this problem often enough that I quit using it. What good is strong protection when it poses these kind of challenges to the user? Stick with WD and something like Simple Windows Hardening, VS, etc.
I've been using Comodo for nearly three months. The first 10 to 15 days were rather difficult for me until I learned how to use it. I had to seek assistance from the Comodo Community forum and after that everything has been fine. In fact Comodo is running quietly in the background with no problems whatsoever. I use Crulesister's settings. In addition to Comodo I use Windows Defender for periodic scans and Simple Windows Hardening.

Based on my experience I can understand why some people don't like Comodo. The learning curve is rather steep at first. However, as I have already indicated, it runs unobtrusively in the background and my operating system does not show any strain.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I have started to use Kaspersky antivirus. Together with a standard account and my trusted express VPN I feel reasonably safe with bank transfers and other money transactions. Webroot is out. But I used it 11 years with good results. :)

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I don't think it's needed to add CFW if you enable the ASR rule which one that blocks files with poor reputation, unless WD is weak against scripts, which is a topic I don't know about. Also Comodo's whitelist is probably smaller than Microsoft's thus going to block safe files more often with cruelsister settings applied.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Low level is probably average joe = install & forget
Mid level = Install + achieve advanced configuration with the help of advanced user
High level = No help needed to achieve advanced config

And were only talking about antivirus and installing/ using it
Most Antivirus software are now install and forget. All automated with cloud ML/AI, some default deny, and auto updates. Wouldn't one click setting make most Low Level into High Levels.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
400% this...for example just last night I have installed the newest version of Shadow Defender and then went to sleep. This morning I wake up and my windows wouldn't boot...instead of wasting time trying to debug what the hell happened. I just decided to fire up the bootmode Marcium Reflect and re-image from my daily backup and I was back and running in 10 min.
I agree. Once I had problem with SSD and it suddenly wouldn't be recognized by motherboard. I replaced the drive with another one and restored one day old system image. After 15 minutes my system was back functioning with no problems. From all security software I was using so far, Macrium was the only that actually saved me from troubles.

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
On Win 8.1 Pro, I'm running Comodo Firewall, with CS settings. That's it, other than Windows Defender but not sure how effective it is in 8.1. I also have a couple of recent backup images on an external drive - which I think is as, or more, important than trusting any security software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.