Advice Request Which USB encryption do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Witch USB encryption do you use ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
I would like to know what do you use to encrypt your USB keys or disks ?
Does your company promote USB encryption ?

I have a couple of old containers on my disks mounted with TC. So I continue to use TC for fixed container (on HDD).

But I think for my keys I will use Bitlocker, because, all my PC (personnal and corporate) run on pro version (10 or 7). My purpose is just to protect sensitive or personnal infos in case of key lost.

A few years before, someone stole me a corporate key in my car. Hoppefully, the powerpoint on it was not important.

Bitlocker to go is so easy to use !

I don't understand why my company is not promoting it.
They have bitlocked our notebooks, they are kidnapping notebooks that are not locked during the night, they are hunting passwords left on paperboard, but they are not promoting USB encryption...

I've never tried veracypt, but I think it works the same way as TC...

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Hello,
I would like to know what do you use to encrypt your USB keys or disks ?
Does your company promote USB encryption ?

I have a couple of old containers on my disks mounted with TC. So I continue to use TC for fixed container (on HDD).

But I think for my keys I will use Bitlocker, because, all my PC (personnal and corporate) run on pro version (10 or 7). My purpose is just to protect sensitive or personnal infos in case of key lost.

A few years before, someone stole me a corporate key in my car. Hoppefully, the powerpoint on it was not important.

Bitlocker to go is so easy to use !

I don't understand why my company is not promoting it.
They have bitlocked our notebooks, they are kidnapping notebooks that are not locked during the night, they are hunting passwords left on paperboard, but they are not promoting USB encryption...

I've never tried veracypt, but I think it works the same way as TC...

I do promote it and use it and advise it and force it even where I can, and I use the Yubikey (static password feature) for it :)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Veracrypt is basically the same as truecrypt but it's being updated constantly compared to truecrypt being at the end of life for the software.

Bitlocker is a pretty good program as well but it's only available on windows 10 enterprise or their "pro" versions so not everyone would have it.

Another good program to try out for encryption would be AxCrypt - File Security Made Easy it's good if you want your files separated so you can unencrypt certain files while leaving other files encrypted unlike container based encryptions where you have to un-encrypt the whole container.

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Another good program to try out for encryption would be AxCrypt - File Security Made Easy it's good if you want your files separated so you can unencrypt certain files while leaving other files encrypted unlike container based encryptions where you have to un-encrypt the whole container.
I will have a look at it !
Read this before saying that encrypting USB flash drives is inconvenient (for the ones who think it is):
New Security Risks from USB Flash Drives
Yeah !
As I said before, someone stole a key in my car.

It was a key containing some powerpoint that the big boss gave us (he gave us the key ! instead of sending an email, we were a hundred of people...) with some kind of strategy of the company.

Hopefully, it was not high level strategy... just the kind of marketing bla-bla (we are the best, we will be better...) but those infos could have been used for social engineering I think.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Veracrypt all the way for me now .

I was an " Ol' Timey " fan of Truecrypt , but the manner in which the devs just got up and walked away ?
..... I think they were sending us a message .

I also use Axcrypt if I want to quickly encrypt something " on the fly " .

Just my 2 shahi worth , as usual :)

Reactions: frogboy and lab34

lab34

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Thank you guys, lot of usefull infos here :)
I will definitively have a look at axcrypt, veracrypt, gpg4win...

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Kruptos 2 Professional and Kruptos-2-go USB add-on. Integrates with Cloud provider folders too. Biggest drawback? No IOS version (Android is available) so you give up access whilst using your iPhone/iPad. The developer says he's working on the app and jumping through Apple Store hoops to get his software listed. No ETA yet.

If you like open source then it's got to be Cryptomator. The IOS app is not free. You'll pay a nominal charge. Their unreleased Android app is free for now.

Boxcryptor and Axcrypt are also very good but I am not kindly disposed to annual subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.