who here use ubuntu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
give your opinion about ubuntu 10.10 or ubuntu 11.04.. :)
i wanted to know about it and your opinion
^^
thx

ghost

Level 1
Jan 16, 2011
I'm dual-booting Ubuntu along Windows 7 and i really hate the new version and the new concept. It remembers of Windows Vista and the new Microsoft concept. Maybe they have luck and will create a better version next year.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
ghost said:
I'm dual-booting Ubuntu along Windows 7 and i really hate the new version and the new concept. It remembers of Windows Vista and the new Microsoft concept. Maybe they have luck and will create a better version next year.

hmm..
but endejan.. say.. very good :)
its okay.. that is your opinion ^^
thx for your repply ;)

jamescv7 said:
Our member endejan made the review in ubuntu 11.04

Link

thx.. i read it :)
hmm..
are you ever use that? i mean.. using ubuntu 11.04?

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 right now and loving it! 10.10 was awesome too :)

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
endejan said:
I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 right now and loving it! 10.10 was awesome too :)

good :)
because.. i want use it. but before i must to know.. all about it ^^
install some program some like windows..? just double click on some program?
and.. what you think.. about ubuntu can getting viruses?
^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Linux OS like ubuntu have a slim chance of getting a virus but for every chance there is a possible.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Linux OS like ubuntu have a slim chance of getting a virus but for every chance there is a possible.

and.. so, need AV's program? like avast for linux..?
:p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its your choice if you need an AV there, if you want more secure then try it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I currently have VM's of four Linux Distros. I have Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSuSE, and CentOS.

I can't comment on the new UI in Ubuntu 11.04 because it doesn't want to run with VMWare's graphics drivers, but the 'classic' GNOME interface works as well as it always has.

Ubuntu is a pretty solid performer, as is Kubuntu because it's basically Ubuntu with the KDE shell.

CentOS always feels a bit primitive to me, but simplicity isn't always a bad thing.

OpenSuSE (SuSE is developed by Novell, OpenSuSE is the free version) gives you the option to install either GNOME or KDE. I installed KDE, so it feels like Kubuntu. OpenSuSE is by far the quickest of these four Distros to issue software updates, CentOS is the slowest. It seems like OpenSuSE has an update every other day.

I would suggest before deciding to jump in with Ubuntu, to try as many Distros as possible. Of course, being Linux based, they're all going to operate more or less the same way. I would just steer away from any builds (Such as Puppy Linux) that run user accounts as ROOT, as this strips away the main reason Linux is generally more secure than Windows. Linux is less of a target to malware authors because the vast majority of Linux users are running restricted user accounts, and for malware to do any real damage, ROOT access is needed. As such, it's incredibly difficult to become infected without the users help. ;)

You asked about installing software. Depending on the Distro you pick, the software you want to install my already be listed on one of the repositories. In that case, all you need to do is open the Program Manager and do a search for that application. If it's listed, you just tell it to install and the OS does the rest. Otherwise, DEB or RPM's are generally as easy to install as double-clicking on the file, if it's a TAR, you're going to have a bit more involved installation that will vary depending on what Distro you're using.

This is a pretty useful starting point in regards to installation, although it doesn't touch too much on specifics of the various Distros. How To Install Software in Linux - Linux Forums

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
I don't like the Unity interface, I'm using Kubuntu with Wubi (I may one day migrate Ubuntu to a dedicated partition and remove windows all together) and I love it.
11.04 is a disaster in my opinion, it broke OpenGL on my computer. :(

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
HeffeD said:
I would suggest before deciding to jump in with Ubuntu, to try as many Distros as possible. Of course, being Linux based, they're all going to operate more or less the same way. I would just steer away from any builds (Such as Puppy Linux) that run user accounts as ROOT, as this strips away the main reason Linux is generally more secure than Windows. Linux is less of a target to malware authors because the vast majority of Linux users are running restricted user accounts, and for malware to do any real damage, ROOT access is needed. As such, it's incredibly difficult to become infected without the users help. ;)

I understand it when I read through wikipedia its was been known for running in root, well Puppy Linux isn't a perfect OS so its normal to have a pros and cons. :)

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
jamescv7 said:
HeffeD said:

I understand it when I read through wikipedia its was been known for running in root, well Puppy Linux isn't a perfect OS so its normal to have a pros and cons. :)
Since it runs in RAM, it doesn't matter much that it runs all users as root because you can just reboot and it's all back to normal.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
OFFTOPIC

The biggest plus with Linux-based OS is they use the RAM completely (no HDD use) which makes everything go faster and better; the HHD does not need to produce any virtual memory in from of page file and if the ram is full the swap partition will be used.

now to the topic :)

I have tried Ubuntu and I love it but since it has insufficient driver for my WLAN card I won't install it (only through WMware). I haven't tried myself others than Ubuntu and OpenSUSE and SUSE is my favorite when it come to the design but Ubuntu also has its beauty. Ubuntu even manage to repair my broken external HDD; I once got the HDD out of usb while it was formatting and when I tried to fix it with windows of course I got BSOD but Ubuntu fixed it :).

You can also try Debian (Ubuntu is based on the debian core).

If you want to run some windows program download WineHQ (very good windows emulator).

Summary; Very good OS and good alternative to Windows but keep in mind to have the right network driver otherwise you will have a hell of problems.

Regards,
Valentin N

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
elliotcroft said:
Since it runs in RAM, it doesn't matter much that it runs all users as root because you can just reboot and it's all back to normal.

If you've chosen the full installation which installs on your HD, or you've enabled the feature that saves files to your HD when closing Puppy, (as most users likely do, otherwise it isn't much of a day-to-day workable OS because nothing is permanent...) this will not be the case.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
ok.. thx all guys.. you are very detail give to me description :)
and all about ubuntu (linux)
i'll try to install on my OLD machine use celeron 1,7GHz and 1,5GB ram with intel graphic chipshet family 256MB
i hope this work on my oLD machine..
what you think? work as well or problem on VGA?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
win7holic said:
ok.. thx all guys.. you are very detail give to me description :)
and all about ubuntu (linux)
i'll try to install on my OLD machine use celeron 1,7GHz and 1,5GB ram with intel graphic chipshet family 256MB
i hope this work on my oLD machine..
what you think? work as well or problem on VGA?
I recommend Lubuntu for older machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.