Troubleshoot Whole system hangs up for no apparent reason

Magnic

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 9, 2016
Randomly during the day firefox hangs up and everything including task manager is not responding nor react to anything i do to them. Task manager is not able to terminate any process and is not showing any new i try to start, i cant turn off internet connection but it freezes when i try to turn it back on. All internet related games get disconnected. There is no spike in CPU or GPU activity. Nothing works besides restarting the pc.

Reactions: Venustus and SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Try another browser. If it doesn't freeze then you know it's firefox at least and then you remove it completely including traces, disable hardware acceleration and try again.

Upvote 0

Magnic

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 9, 2016
I don't have hardware acceleration on, also this firefox instance is exactly as old as those issues started. I needed to install system anew after my hdd died. So i don't really believe it's firefox issue. At the beginning i had one of those scamming viruses which steal your information and block programs on your pc for you to pay the maker of the virus, but i successfully removed it (after literary using every single somewhat good programs available on the web, something around 50+ antiviruses/antimalwares/etc)

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't have hardware acceleration on, also this firefox instance is exactly as old as those issues started. I needed to install system anew after my hdd died. So i don't really believe it's firefox issue. At the beginning i had one of those scamming viruses which steal your information and block programs on your pc for you to pay the maker of the virus, but i successfully removed it (after literary using every single somewhat good programs available on the web, something around 50+ antiviruses/antimalwares/etc)
Format then. It probably broke something. Trying anything else it a waste of your time. Backup your files and reinstall windows.

Upvote 0

Tabeer

Level 3
Verified
Dec 3, 2015
All I can suggest is do a system restore to the time before it started playing up. You could also defrag using Defraggler, delete unused registry keys and temporary files with CCleaner and delete programs that you don't need but delete them thoroughly using a program which deletes the left over registry keys and files. Then see if you see any improvement.

If not, see what processes are running such and see if you can see anything obvious conflicting (2 antivirus programs). Hope this works for you

Reactions: Paul123
Upvote 0

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
Might be worth seeing if there is anything in your event log through event viewer. Sometimes you get a meaningful message(s). As Tabeer suggests I'd also run CCleaner.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.