Why antivirus programs have become the problem, not the solution

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

AV is not a problem. AV is trying to minimize the problem which other people create. People are always going to be this way: if there is some technology which we use for good, they will always find at least twice the ways in which it can be used for bad.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would like to quote from the aforementioned thread:

At the end of the day, most antivirus will be the same. They'll all offer you decent protection and detection, and you'll find out you can choose the one that fits you the nest. Most of the times, you will find this great security software you love. It includes awsome modules and it makes you feel protected. Still, you're not sure, because if has no firewall. Combine, my friend. Software combination will make you achieve great stuff. Grab your Avast Free and install COMODO's Free Firewall. Tweak. Maybe disable COMODO's HIPS and install VoodooShield. See what i did there? I covered almost all weak points on my PC by installing software and tweaking it to achieve best results. Do this. Research and how to do this. You won't be 100% protected ever, but you can try your best. Almost always, it won't be enough with buying Kaspersky Internet Security and installing it by default. Combine, tweak, research, ask, learn. It's your system and you know exactly how you want it.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
No AV is 100% safe and of course no AV is the absolute solution.
The worst error is fully entrusting yourself to a security product as good as you want, but with obvious limitations.
McAfee is not my favorite product, as already suggested you can add Zemana Antimalware as a second opinion.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Why antivirus is not 100% secure

Antivirus software will never be 100% secure. Please realize this.

One of the real problems with security involves referring to "PEBCAK".

Problem
Exists
Between
Chair
And
Keyboard

Everyday People will always be the biggest problem.

McAfee is not enough on its own as other stated above. Look to maybe add HMP.A or Voodooshield Free or Pro.

Be cautious of emails you receive and learn safe browsing habits. Always make sure as well that all software you have is updated frequently. Including the OS.

Devilish

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2017
Why antivirus is not 100% secure

i'm using Mcafee livesafe without any additional ( protection suite). Is mcafee is enough to protect me from threads like keylogger and ransomware.

Mcafee can't protect itself from malwares how is it going to protect your pc.
In my opinion you should uninstall that AV and grab a copy of avast free. It will serve you far better but if you like paid products give a try to Kaspersky or Emsisoft.

Reactions: AtlBo

tlacenka

Level 2
Verified
Mar 22, 2014
its simple - people make software... people are not robots, so there are some errors in code, which at the end leads to vulnerabilities of software.
antisomethink software needs to run all the time (because of need of realtime protection) so..if there is any error, u have running invitation for people, which will find this open hole... and take control over what they need - thats not problem of mcafee - thats problem of all software, which runs all the time...
lets say u will find an error in avira (only example), which u can use for infecting victims computer with some kind of ransomware (so...look at https://www.avira.com down of the page and u have potentional 564 534 490 people which will pay u.... and its growing

its nothing against avira, same as it doesnot only mean, that there is any security hole in it - i choose avira only as example, because they wrote on page how many installations is actually used (it can be fake number, but for our case its the first www i found) (and was lazy to look for anything else)

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
upload_2017-6-23_8-25-20.png

In this image i scanned system with zemana antikeylogger its showing 5 threads in my system see link of the thread found in my pc. Only few antivirus detect it

Last edited:

Daljeet

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
I installed antikeylogger when i scan my system with it (see above attachment) harmful objects are found. when i scan thread with virustotal.com website it show different story
ESET-NOD32 a variant of Win64/BitCoinMiner.CS potentially unsafe
Symantec Trojan.Gen.2
TrendMicro- HouseCall Suspicious_GEN.F47V0621

BitDefender file not detected
kaspersky file not detected
mcafee file not detected

now tell in which anitivirus i can trust

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
PLease explain how ?
Let me explain you the main reason why antivirus market is falling.

Antivirus & software offering real time protection and behaviour blocking are getting useless with time. In part because of technology used by malware coders, capable of hide processes and behaviour from them. On the other hand, because of this. People install an antivirus to be protected, and then they download a cracked game from internet. Immediatly, when the security software pops up and blocks the crack file because it intends to modify your system's registry, the user clicks on "Allow item", making the antivirus let the file squeeze and stop monitoring it. Great, you just told your security program to not protect you against a random file somebody you don't know created to vulnerate the security of another product. Maybe it worked, you're now gaming. That's good. (for you not the game developers). Now, how do you know the aforementioned file is not still active monitoring you, stealing information, downloading payloads? You allowed it to be, and your antivirus isn't protecting you against it anymore.

Welcome to "why antivirus doesn't protect 100%".

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
PLease explain how ?
KMS activators & Co., are considered clean by the majority of those who use them, ignoring the alarms of AVs and anti-malware.
The fact is that the original versions of these crack are not infected "as they say", but it would be fundamental to decompile these executables by analyzing the code and used functions to verify the correctness of these statements: personally I'm not so sure they are 100% clean.
Then consider the "non-original" variants of these crack that actually can drop malicious code, but... don't worry: "it is safe, no malware, just a false positive" ... they say.

Stay safe.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.