Raiden

Level 13
Verified
Content Creator
Some people feel WD as light, some not. The same is with other AVs.
There is no need to force people on using WD or other good free AV.
Anyway, it is good to know what are the strong and weak points of a chosen AV.
Exactly!

For the record I'm not trying to force anyone to use anything, I just want people to use what ever they want. I know you didn't direct this to me @Andy Ful ;) The only thing I like to stress to people is to try it out for yourself and see what you think.

It's why I'm not overly fond of a vs b threads because I fell like they become a popularity contest, rather than providing information to help someone choose a product. Even then picking a product that gets the most votes doesn't mean it will be the best one for you, especially if you are buying a license.

Local Host

Level 18
Verified
That is not true for 'Windows Defender Advanced Thread Protection'. Just look at the name of the first table in : https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE2O8jv .
Microsoft clearly shows in this document that some WD ATP features are available in Windows Home. In the same time you can look at what MS writes about licensing:

Licensing requirements
Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection requires one of the following Microsoft Volume Licensing offers:
  • Windows 10 Enterprise E5
  • Windows 10 Education E5
  • Microsoft 365 E5 (M365 E5) which includes Windows 10 Enterprise E5

So, it is clear that the term "Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection" is used by MS in a different meaning. The first (in the comparison document) includes Windows Home, Pro, and E3. The second (Licensing requirements) does not. Furthermore, there is also Azure ATP and Office 365 ATP.
Is true you confusing the entire thing, ATP provides the tools to properly manage existing features, on top of new features. Is entirely different to what is used by default.

Microsoft Data Breach & Endpoint Security - Microsoft 365

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The link Andy supplied sort of confirms his claims that ATP is build on WD (from Minimum requirements for Microsoft Defender ATP)
Docs Microsoft said:
The Microsoft Defender ATP agent depends on the ability of Windows Defender Antivirus to scan files and provide information about them. When Windows Defender Antivirus is not the active antimalware in your organization and you use the Microsoft Defender ATP service, Windows Defender Antivirus goes on passive mode.

What actual information are you referring to which proofs your point? Please eloborate, I would like to understand your claims, but I can't find it on:
Is true you confusing the entire thing, ATP provides the tools to properly manage existing features, on top of new features. Is entirely different to what is used by default.

Andy Ful

Level 46
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator

I am afraid that I will hold on to my interpretation.:giggle:
Anyway, it is pointless to discuss it here. The only important thing is that Windows built-in features which usually are activated by Windows Defender ATP software and services available on Windows Pro, E3, or E5, can be activated (in a limited way) also in Windows Home.

Features available on Windows Home are enumerated in the "Windows 10 commercial edition comparison" document:
  1. Integrity enforcement of operating system boot up process.
  2. Integrity enforcement of sensitive operating system components.
  3. Advanced vulnerability and zero-day exploit mitigations.
  4. Reputation based network protection for Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer and Chrome.
  5. Host based firewall.
  6. Ransomware mitigations.
  7. Pre-execution emulation executables and scripts.
  8. Runtime behavior monitoring.
  9. In memory anomaly and behavior monitoring.
  10. Machine learning and AI based protection from viruses and malware threats.
  11. Cloud protection for fastest responses to new/unknown web-based threats.
  12. Protection from fileless based attacks.
Some of them are activated by default, others can be activated via PowerShell or 3rd party configurator.

- Better behavioral blocker in default settings. I found it always sleeping in default settings, very reactive in tweaked settings, thanks to ConfigureDefender
- More stable web filter. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
- Better/more usable folder/ransomware protection
Microsoft aren't going to do it because it wouldn't make any sense from a business perspective. Microsoft have nothing to prove to home consumers, they are already in control of the entire security software industry on Windows (for the vendors that take business seriously) because they control the development, maintenance and documentation of various APIs and the rules for eligibility to use special features which are advantageous.

Microsoft already have Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) which is a model for businesses and it is better with performance, behavioral-based technologies, etc. If they give it all away for free, why would any Enterprises both paying for it?