Why Did Emsisoft Put this on my drive!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Sorry if my computer vocabulary is lacking. Can anyone here tell me why Emsisoft put this on my C drive.
I used the Emsisoft Emergency Kit. After not finding any infections, I thought Emsisoft was gone, as it's not supposed to install on your PC.
I latter found EEK on my C drive and it differently is Emsisoft. Why is that??
Thank you!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 423
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@donetao I am not sure but maybe this directory is needed to store and update database or create some log files,
quarantine for infected files etc... Also some other on-demand scanners creates additional directories to different locations.

I am sure that you can delete this folder manually without issues. :)

Regards,
Kardo

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @Kardo Kristal I discovered it on a back up image while mounting the image. You can not delete or add any thing on a back up image.
They are read only. I have sense then restored to another image and EEK is not on that image, so it's not a big deal .
Was mostly just curious why EEK did that. I have used lots of on line scanners and I have never seen this before.
Thanks for your quick reply!

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@donetao Thanks for the information. No problem, I am here to help. :)
You can also take a look at AppData folder because many programs store different data in this location even after removal of the program.

AppData location: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming

Regards,
Kardo

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
@Kardo Kristal Thanks for the great information. I will have a look; but as I mentioned, I'm now using a restore image before I used EEK.
I will test EEK later on and see if it installs the program again on my drive.
I don't like programs that do that. I try to run a clean ship and keep crap off my PC;)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm having a brain fart. I can not find C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming!

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 393

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Hi! I'm having a brain fart. I can not find C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming!
You have to enable "Show hidden folders and files" In folder settings, in control panel. Or either write down the actual path so you can surf to it directly.
c:\users\gary\appdata\roaming this in the explorer adress bar, or going to start menu, search bar, or run.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Thanks you made my day. I'm learning new things here. This is all I find c:\users\gary\appdata\roaming.

That's the folder Kardo was talking about, these are folderes related to programs you have installed on your computer, many programs do not store their settings or update files in their actual installation folder, but they do in these roaming one. It's a common behavior over windows.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Hi @darko999 Thanks! Some times my old mind draws a blank. I guess at 76, I'm lucky I have a mind.
Thanks you are appreciated!

Hello donetao,

I tip my hat to you. At 76, you're just gettin' started...so, everyone,...spread out!

EEK does not do a permanent installation (no registry entries, etc). It is a completely self-contained, fully portable app...not an online scanner. EEK must be downloaded and installed on a storage device. It does not run from within a browser like, for example, Micro Trend's House Call or others you may have used.

All data is stored inside the EEK folder. So if you delete it, then it is a "clean" deletion.

It is intended for emergency situations when a network connect is not available. However, it has rapidly been adopted as a "second opinion" scanner along the same lines as Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro.

As it is an on-demand scanner, leaving it on your system only consumes the memory that it occupies, until such time that you scan with it.

There's also some other tools included in it...like an identical commandline (no graphical user interface) version and a script tool for performing difficult reboot malware removals. Although, unless you know what you are doing, I suggest you do not mess with them.

It's very handy...

hjlbx

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @hjlbx Thanks for your reply. I was just asking why EEK placed a folder on my C:/ as can be seen in my first post.
No other scanner has done that!!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Alright EEK is a TEMP folder which allows emisoft to run from, next to the Appdata roaming folders.
Its true that Emisoft does not install anything on your PC, but for practical reasons they leave behind a few things:

1: Settings
2: Backup of changes (If any)
3: Detection stats and logs
4: Pending operations after or prior to scanning.

You can remove those items by hand if you wish or you can leave them there.
Yet the moment you are using EEK again the files will return.
So its complete bull to use a image a restore your PC to a previous version just because of this.
If you wish further help drop me a pm or a comment here and i will help you.

Cheers

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
EEK extracts all files to that folder, you can delete it if you aren't going to use it anymore.
The file you download from the site is just an SFX archive which extracts to that directory by default.

You can select different folder if you want:
emsi.PNG

Or simply use some archiver to extract files:

emsi2.PNG

Alright EEK is a TEMP folder which allows emisoft to run from, next to the Appdata roaming folders.
Its true that Emisoft does not install anything on your PC, but for practical reasons they leave behind a few things:

1: Settings
2: Backup of changes (If any)
3: Detection stats and logs
4: Pending operations after or prior to scanning.

You can remove those items by hand if you wish or you can leave them there.
Yet the moment you are using EEK again the files will return.
So its complete bull to use a image a restore your PC to a previous version just because of this.
If you wish further help drop me a pm or a comment here and i will help you.

Cheers
It contains the executables as well.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
EEK extracts all files to that folder, you can delete it if you aren't going to use it anymore.
The file you download from the site is just an SFX archive which extracts to that directory by default.

It contains the executables as well.

Yes i forgot to mention those gimme sec making some screenshots..

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I have no trouble removing any thing from my PC. I'm quite capable on going into Regdit(F3) and removing any thing left behind by a uninstalled program. I also use SearchEverything and remove left overs there.It's not that I can't remove all traces, I'm just saying EEK is different from all the other on line scanners I have used.
I hope this makes sense!
Thanks for your replies!!

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Upon install it asks you where to extract the files:
w5iwxS1.png

And this is how the folder EEK looks like on the inside after that:
cuqqiun.png

Which means you can run the program directly from the folder without EEK installing on your pc itself.
What they did is extract it all to one map without the actual install.
(pretty much like some of my software works)
So if you want to remove it you can just delete the whole EEK folder. But do note that after deletion you will be forced to extract the files again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.