Advice Request Why do you like the security software that you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

D

Deleted member 65228

The reason why I like Kaspersky Internet Security so much is because they use the hyper-visor for virtualisation, it allows them to emulate KiSystemCall32/KiSystemCall64/KiSystemCall32Shadow/KiSystemCall64Shadow/KiSystemCall32AmdShadow/KiSystemCall64AmdShadow.

To put it in English: they virtualization technology (hardware and firmware assisted) for their safe browser which can be used for secure online banking; it really is secure, it isn't just a marketing trick.

I don't know what I think about their Application Control though, I think I prefer the Emsisoft Behavior Blocker (before the recent changes) but maybe the on-going changes over the next few months will prove to be superior to the old ways it worked. :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I use Sophos home and the reason why I really like it is its simplicity. I don't need a product that has the "next generation" protection that has actually better marketing than protection. Combining too much products isn't not something that I like either. When I often see people combining a free signature AV, with some other product that has average antiransomware protection, and then an anti-keylogger on top of that, a browser extension for safe search, maybe an anti-exe or an anti exploit on top of that, etc... I think that they really should answer the question if they really need all this (sometimes fake feeling of) more protection.
A simple AV like Sophos combined with brain.exe is what does it for me. If something looks phishy or malicious, I will not download it. On top of that it runs very light, already blocked some things it should block and never bothers me, so what do I need more? :)

D

Deleted member 65228

I use Sophos home and the reason why I really like it is its simplicity. I don't need a product that has the "next generation" protection that has actually better marketing than protection. Combining too much products isn't not something that I like either. When I often see people combining a free signature AV, with some other product that has average antiransomware protection, and then an anti-keylogger on top of that, a browser extension for safe search, maybe an anti-exe or an anti exploit on top of that, etc... I think that they really should answer the question if they really need all this (sometimes fake feeling of) more protection.
A simple AV like Sophos combined with brain.exe is what does it for me. If something looks phishy or malicious, I will not download it. On top of that it runs very light, already blocked some things it should block and never bothers me, so what do I need more? :)
OMG :love:

I agree with you, simple is actually better sometimes... SOPHOS provide quality products though so it's no surprise you like it. I read their blog multiple times a week, there's always some interesting content there.

Have you heard about the new SOPHOS premium AV? (or named pro, something like that). I believe it has HitmanPro.Alert technology implemented into it now, for home users.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
OMG :love:

I agree with you, simple is actually better sometimes... SOPHOS provide quality products though so it's no surprise you like it. I read their blog multiple times a week, there's always some interesting content there.

Have you heard about the new SOPHOS premium AV? (or named pro, something like that). I believe it has HitmanPro.Alert technology implemented into it now, for home users.
Yes, you mean Sophos Home premium. I have tried it and it has very good protection especially with their interceptX and Hitman Pro built in. When I tested it in early beta stage, it still had some issues and bug that are now probably resolved, so I went back to the free version. Very interesting product, but I think I'll stick with the free one for now as it simply does its job atm.
I agree too that their blog is very interesting. They have very stable quality products and also their privacy policy is very nice, especially compared to other well known AV vendors.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
after 2 years in MT, I stop being paranoid and opt-in traditional approach: a light, good free AV (tweaked for speed) with some SRP rules to strengthen the weaknesses of the AV

for years, my AV rarely has to work due to safe browsing behavior, google safebrowsing and avira browser safety. They block everything before the AV has to work

Even my family with reckless browsing behavior haven't got any infection for years

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
ESET because:
- Great Signatures
- One of the best on PUP (potentially unwanted programs) detection
- No system impact at all (start up, multitasking, open/close programs etc...) Basically one of the best for system performance.
- Less false positives
- Always one of the fastest vendors who releases signature updates for zero day malware.
- Very good support team
- Very stable program (no crashes,less bugs than others)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Yes, you mean Sophos Home premium. I have tried it and it has very good protection especially with their interceptX and Hitman Pro built in. When I tested it in early beta stage, it still had some issues and bug that are now probably resolved, so I went back to the free version. Very interesting product, but I think I'll stick with the free one for now as it simply does its job atm.
I agree too that their blog is very interesting. They have very stable quality products and also their privacy policy is very nice, especially compared to other well known AV vendors.
I think you're right, sometimes I wonder the same thing. arm yourself to the teeth to visit secure websites like MT or others. Not necessary

Reactions: Brie and kev216

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Quick Heal, because
-it‘s lightweight
-has fantastic support
-a very good BB
-many useful security features
-not having TuneUp features in all versions but Total Security (it‘s an AV, not a cleanup tool)
-easy to use
-not intrusive
-did not give me any FP yet

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Comodo Firewall because I can run it with built in Windows Defender
-it feels very light and non-intrusive compared to traditional security software
-cloud antivirus included that doesn't drain my CPU and ram
-it blocks network intrusions and suspicious application behaviors
-safe mode which allows only good applications to run and connect to the internet
-there are many components to protect you if one of them fails
-doesn't constantly try to sell me stuff
-gives me full visibility of what is running on my computer
-sandbox to run untrusted applications and test out new software
-many configuration settings which gives me more control
-DNS web filtering and Ublock Origin is enough for me
-prevention based default-deny is more effective in the long term
-I feel safe and am more productive knowing that my computer belongs to me :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
G Data, because:
-Protection, has one of the best behavior blocker on the market, dual engine, Bitdefender and CloseGap (own motor) active hybrid protection, also has a good firewall.
-Performance, has greatly improved on this issue in the latest updates, in the current version (25.4.0.3) this lightweight, does not slow down my machine at all.
-Support, fine, when I needed it were fast, especially the Brazilian support.
-Story - I like to know that G Data was the first company to create an AV program, it's 33 years of security experience, this is not for everyone.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.