Advice Request Why does Iobit have such a bad reputation?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are IObit Programs so bad?

• No, all Programs are nice

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • The Iobit uninstaller is good

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Advanced SystemCare is good

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • MalwareFighter is good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing from IObit is good

Votes: 63 54.8%

• Total voters

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes, but I also I check manually. 0%. Then I check with Defraggler, and there's a lot to defrag.
Just wanted to let you know that it's outdated. I think in the end Microsoft knows best how to defrag their own OS, that's why I think it's the best option. I currently have O&O Defrag cause I have a license and I don't want to waste it, but I might uninstall it soon. One less program to deal with. (y)

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Just wanted to let you know that it's outdated. I think in the end Microsoft knows best how to defrag their own OS, that's why I think it's the best option. I currently have O&O Defrag cause I have a license and I don't want to waste it, but I might uninstall it soon. One less program to deal with. (y)
I haven't been using it... But anyway, there's not much to update about defragging, it's the same for many tears. We can see the graph with everything mapped, and I can see games fragmented. For exemple, if you uninstall a game then install a new game, it will first fill the location where the previous game was, then when it gets filled, it will continue installing at the end of the drive. Defraggler sees all that, and shows 30%+ fragmentation when Windows built in shows 0%.
Windows built in is just quite limited, that's why it doesn't really defrag much.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
For anyone that cares, I've use Ccleaner for years, cleaned my registry hundreds of times, not one issue so far.
It is unlikely to cause problems, but it certainly could. As a result I recommend not using it. It is highly unlikely that cleaning the registry will ever make your computer run faster, or fix any problems. So it's fine to use CCleaner only for cleaning junk files and skip cleaning the registry. If you really want to clean the registry, use a safe registry cleaner instead.

It's only in recent years that is has had issues with false positives. Prior to that it could only potentially cause problems if The scan for Obsolete Software entries was checked.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
It is unlikely to cause problems, but it certainly could. As a result I recommend not using it. It is highly unlikely that cleaning the registry will ever make your computer run faster, or fix any problems. So it's fine to use CCleaner only for cleaning junk files and skip cleaning the registry. If you really want to clean the registry, use a safe registry cleaner instead.

It's only in recent years that is has had issues with false positives. Prior to that it could only potentially cause problems if The scan for Obsolete Software entries was checked.
IMO Ccleaner is the safest registry cleaner. When I uninstall a program I also like to remove any registry entries, I use CCleaner and RegScanner and will also manually check for leftovers. Does it make a difference, probably not for 99% of the time. Only happened to me once about 10 years ago, a Trusteer Rapport registry entry would not allow me to install another security program until I found and deleted it. So until Ccleaner fails me I'll keep using it. I use the portable version blocked with my firewall so it can't call home.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Based on my own experience, these 3 options should be unchecked for CCleaner's registry cleaner. These 3 can be problematic, others are safe.
1.PNG

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
IMO Ccleaner is the safest registry cleaner.
It's not. It has minor issues with false positives. There are a few registry cleaners which don't and as a result, will never think that a valid registry key should be deleted. It's possible that there are very rare cases that they may want to delete valid registry keys. But those instances would be exceptionally rare.

My opinion is based on testing registry cleaners on many computers and manually verifying the scan results to see if they want to delete any valid registry keys. Every time I've tried CCleaner in the last few years, it has wanted to delete some valid registry keys. Deleting valid registry keys, won't always cause problems, as you've seen with CCleaner, but it can do.
Based on my own experience, these 3 options should be unchecked for CCleaner's registry cleaner. These 3 can be problematic, others are safe.
I just ran a scan with all categories checked, and got a single false positive from the "Applications" section.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
More than 10 years without ever unchecking that, never had an issue.
As I said, it's based on my own experience only. The ActiveX feature broke my Windows's ability to detect USB drive once, the shared dll feature once broke 2 Adobe programs and unused file extension feature once broke used file extensions.
Everyone can have a different experience, but this is mine, so I avoid these.
Also, what mlnevese said about the shared dll function is spot on.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
There could potentially be issues if you enable deep scanning, but aside from that, it should never delete any needed registry keys. Years ago the registry cleaner had issues with false positives, but I helped IObit fix the issues. Did the problem happen recently? Did you have deep scan checked?

They are mostly useless, but there are a handful of registry cleaners that are safe to use.

That would be an exceptionally rare occurrence, as it should be safe to use. Wise Registry Cleaner and the registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 have very minor issues with false positives, but the disk cleaner shouldn't delete anything that is needed.

Advanced SystemCare is safer to use than CCleaner, because CCleaner's registry cleaner has minor issues with false positives. But that's only issue if you use CCleaner's registry cleaner. If you just want to clean junk files, then Wise Disk Cleaner is much better than CCleaner (which I've never liked) in my opinion.
Never used the reg cleaner after that

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
There could potentially be issues if you enable deep scanning, but aside from that, it should never delete any needed registry keys. Years ago the registry cleaner had issues with false positives, but I helped IObit fix the issues. Did the problem happen recently? Did you have deep scan checked?

They are mostly useless, but there are a handful of registry cleaners that are safe to use.

That would be an exceptionally rare occurrence, as it should be safe to use. Wise Registry Cleaner and the registry cleaner in Wise Care 365 have very minor issues with false positives, but the disk cleaner shouldn't delete anything that is needed.

Advanced SystemCare is safer to use than CCleaner, because CCleaner's registry cleaner has minor issues with false positives. But that's only issue if you use CCleaner's registry cleaner. If you just want to clean junk files, then Wise Disk Cleaner is much better than CCleaner (which I've never liked) in my opinion.
Also, I am even sure if it is safe even now

It wants to clean 150 more keys(and boostspeed's reg cleaner is one of the safest)
1619791822578.png

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.