Advice Request Why is Edge doing this?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, today I noticed something weird about Edge. I had just booted my computer this afternoon and after a while I thought ... hey lets run Wise Disk Cleaner since it was a while since I had done that. While WDC was scanning I got the warning that Microsoft Edge was running and if I wanted it to be shut down. I was like ... "What!?" I have not used Edge yet?

Then in Process Explorer I saw that MSEdge was already started up some how during boot time of my PC, so I closed it and used WDC and then restarted my PC. Once boot up was finished I checked in Process Explorer again, and Edge was again already started during boot time? Edge also seems to stay active after I close Edge after browsing? Is this normal behaviour and if so how the hell can I stop it from auto starting during boot time, and I also want it to close completely when I close the browser, and not stay active!?

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Okay, today I noticed something weird about Edge. I had just booted my computer this afternoon and after a while I thought ... hey lets run Wise Disk Cleaner since it was a while since I had done that. While WDC was scanning I got the warning that Microsoft Edge was running and if I wanted it to be shut down. I was like ... "What!?" I have not used Edge yet?

Then in Process Explorer I saw that MSEdge was already started up some how during boot time of my PC, so I closed it and used WDC and then restarted my PC. Once boot up was finished I checked in Process Explorer again, and Edge was again already started during boot time? Edge also seems to stay active after I close Edge after browsing? Is this normal behaviour and if so how the hell can I stop it from auto starting during boot time, and I also want it to close completely when I close the browser, and not stay active!?
I also got that today, you need to open Edge Chromium then go to Settings after that go to System and disable the Startup Boost option.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
btw I dont get why Microsoft enable this feature without asking the user if he wants to use it, this is the type of feature that can slowdown lower end pc Windows startup and angry people that dont want to use Edge Chromium.
I bet there will be a lot of people complaining about this new feature on reddit.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
btw I dont get why Microsoft enable this feature without asking the user if he wants to use it, this is the type of feature that can slowdown lower end pc Windows startup and angry people that dont want to use Edge Chromium.
I bet there will be a lot of people complaining about this new feature on reddit.
Ordinary home user doesn't know about it.

It only sees Edge starting up faster.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
yhe type of feature that can slowdown lower end pc Windows startup

Last week I got an old Asus tablet (from a relative) with An Intel Atom Z3740 CPU @ only 1.33GHz and I did not notice the startup slowdown, only the huge startup improvement of Edge. Yesterday evening I cleaned it and put WD + Defender Configurator and Simple Windows Hardeneing on it. The startup of Edge was over 3 seconds and now Edge displays the New Tab in a second. So feels much faster. I gave it the thumbs up feedback.

/L

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I also got that today, you need to open Edge Chromium then go to Settings after that go to System and disable the Startup Boost option.
Do you know when this was added?

They need to move the ratings away from the toggle, otherwise the option may be overlooked.
1614968238331.png

Edit: With Boost enabled, this occurs.

1614976804327.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus and Morro

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.