Advice Request Why sandbox is important

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Hmmm nice topic... but

3. Dedicated extension (EBS (...)
Sorry for the ignorance, but what EBS would be?
It can also be useful for privacy. If you always browse inside the sandbox, all the browsing history will be deleted when closing the sandbox.
With Sandboxie, you can manually delete when you finish browsing, or even set it up to do that automatically, if you wish. But with ReHIPS, it will maintain browsing history from session to session. There is no special mechanism to delete it, at least, not in the current version of ReHIPS. I think they are working on it, though.
I guess sandox could change your machine fingerprint to.

=======

In another subject, what is the difference between Sandboxie/ReHIPS and Windows new sandbox mode (from the May Update)? What would be the advantages in using one or another? And what is the difference in using these methods or a fully virtualized machine (or they already are a fully virtualized system?)

Reactions: Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

In another subject, what is the difference between Sandboxie/ReHIPS and Windows new sandbox mode (from the May Update)? What would be the advantages in using one or another? And what is the difference in using these methods or a fully virtualized machine (or they already are a fully virtualized system?)
Sandboxie is dead, so nothing much to discuss.
The only serious one left is rehips.
The difference is with Rehips you have:
- an Application Control module (anti-exe)
- uses Windows mechanism via hardened users profiles. So better compatibility with softs. No permanent updates required like with Sandboxie.
- by default, sandboxed apps opens in virtual desktop (This can be changed to work on main desktop).
- more granular settings and restrictions.
- the Dev is a paranoid but very helpful to solve issues (on his forum).

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Sandboxie is dead, so nothing much to discuss.
The only serious one left is rehips.
The difference is with Rehips you have:
- an Application Control module (anti-exe)
- uses Windows mechanism via hardened users profiles. So better compatibility with softs. No permanent updates required like with Sandboxie.
- by default, sandboxed apps opens in virtual desktop (This can be changed to work on main desktop).
- more granular settings and restrictions.
- the Dev is a paranoid but very helpful to solve issues (on his forum).
Tyvm!!

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Imagine installing your favorite browser, importing your bookmarks, and a installing couple of your favorites extensions, then sealing it in a bubble so every time have a browser session it is as clean as the day you installed it.

This is why I use Sandboxie , I never have to worry about internet history, hidden cookies, or trackers, or anything nefarious making it way on to my system during a browsing session because every time I shut it down any and everything I accumulated during that session is gone.

Easy peasy, no fuss, no muss, don't have to have several extensions that may or may not be getting rid of everything you tell it to or even spying on you themselves.

Aside from doing all your browsing in an Oracle VM VirtualBox what other software can do this?

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Actually I excluded Rollback RX since I read somewhere that it deactivates TRIM on SSD.

It also disables the ability to create system restore point, which can make uninstalling and installing programs that want to create them during the process a pain if not impossible.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

It is a matter of time, I won't waste a minute on a dead thing, I will start looking for a better alternative, luckily we had one since years.

Sbie, by design, requires a heavy maintenance resulting in weekly updates for keeping compatibility with all sort of softs...

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
It does not survive a reboot. It is for one-time testing of new software, in an out-of-the-box Windows environment. It is no good for continued use, so it is not comparable to ReHIPS or Sandboxie.

If one could start Windows sandbox with the launch of an *.exe, like a browser then have it shut down when you close that *.exe it would be a perfect browser sandbox as you would not want it for continued use just per session.

I am going to have to research that while we wait for the new ReHips release that can hopefully do the same thing but better

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.