Guide | How To Why UAC should be taken seriously

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
One question though: how can I know what kind of privileges needs a new software that i want to install? Maybe i say no to a legitimate software or yes to an unlegitimate one.

You make the same mistake as many does, separating UAC from the other Windows features. From where the software comes from? when you click on it, what say Smartscreen and Windows Defender? UAC isn't supposed to work alone.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You make the same mistake as many does, separating UAC from the other Windows features. From where the software comes from? when you click on it, what say Smartscreen and Windows Defender? UAC isn't supposed to work alone.
Yeah, this is the problem, only one link in the chain. UAC is too dependent on
other factors.
By the time it gets to UAC the other two will most likely have failed.
Smart Screen and VS that's the way to go for me.
And your right UAC "can't" work alone, VS can ;)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)

And don't you suggest to use standard account ? I always use it ( and max UAC)

Unfortunately I saw some videos where , even if you click " no" in UAC popup, the ransomware( and maybe other malwares ) start encrypting : why ?

Thank you
Best UAC protection :

• UAC turned on maximum level and full awareness about every window it will show;
  • Account without administrative privileges.
Actual method :

- Hybrid method, abusing Microsoft Management Console and incorrect dll loading scheme, works from Windows 7 up to 10rs2 14955;
- Hybrid method, abusing SxS DotLocal and targeting sysprep, works from Windows 7 up to 10rs2 14955;
- Hybrid method, abusing SxS DotLocal and targeting consent to gain system privileges, works from Windows 7 up to 10rs2 14955;
- Hybrid method, abusing Package Manager and DISM, works from Windows 7 up to 10rs2 14955.

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
I'm not sure if Microsoft exclusively only told me this secret but I will make it blow on the world-wide internet by sharing it for everyone (sorry Microsoft, please don't sue me!): UAC is and never will be an Anti-Ransomware replacement. ;)

But it should not allow the execution , or not ?

W

Wave

Thread author
Depends on the situation. For example, a malware launcher to the payload may attempt to run the program as administrator, and if this fails then it might move on to another method which may be able to work without triggering UAC or actually directly "bypassing" it (circumvention without "bypass").

E.g. encryption of personal documents which won't be a "protected" directory...

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
People , read go to Microsofoft section of the forum , i made some pinned thread a while ago : Microsoft

Read them all.

I'm not sure if Microsoft exclusively only told me this secret but I will make it blow on the world-wide internet by sharing it for everyone (sorry Microsoft, please don't sue me!): UAC is and never will be an Anti-Ransomware replacement. ;)

lol ^^

UAC is not an anti-executable , it is an anti-elevator:

- if malware need elevation, boom ! UAC pop up.
- if malware don't need elevation : malware is free to do what it wants; no UAC popup will appears. but before that point the malware must pass Smartscreen and Windows Defender check.

my Windows setup:

- Standard User Account with a tweak to deny elevation requests from unsigned executables.
- Smartscreen to Max.
- UAC to Max.
- UAC ask my admin password everytime.

Just with that 95% of malware are blocked at the source. All my 3rd party security softs are here to fill the 5% left.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
People , read go to Microsofoft section of the forum , i made some pinned thread a while ago : Microsoft

Read them all.

lol ^^

UAC is not an anti-executable , it is an anti-elevator:

- if malware need elevation, boom ! UAC pop up.
- if malware don't need elevation : malware is free to do what it wants; no UAC popup will appears. but before that point the malware must pass Smartscreen and Windows Defender check.

my Windows setup:

- Standard User Account with a tweak to deny elevation requests from unsigned executables.
- Smartscreen to Max.
- UAC to Max.
- UAC ask my admin password everytime.

Just with that 95% of malware are blocked at the source. All my 3rd party security softs are here to fill the 5% left.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge . What kind of tweak ?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
UAC is just equivalent as a gate or door on your home; and if someone attempt to access in such shortcut then its a vulnerability.

Maximum settings can be equivalent on burglar alarms in case of untoward incident.

People should take it seriously to verify the information like we do on daily lives.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
@Wave GREAT post dude.
@Umbra yes the UAC story is like any software story, since self proclaimed experts focus on a tiny part rather then the program itself.
So the firewall sucks? then the whole program is bad. Where in-fact many of today's commercially available software have weaker modules build in, but as a whole program with every function working in tandem it often beat standalone applications.
@All others.
Like UAC or not but it does work and is needed, anyone not understanding that has failed their machine config before you actually did install windows, and you have sort of backstabbed ANY security application you might install after that. Since UAC, Smartscreen and many of these features work as trigger points for additional security to kick in.

Finally if malware requires actions from you, clicking for example then : IT DOES NOT CAUSE YOUR PROTECTION TO FAIL. Your happy click finger does tho... Because malware that is user action based can ALWAYS overcome security programs since your click finger decided so when you clicked the file. its like handing over the keys to your house to a strange person and then wondering why your HIFI, Dolby, 3D quantum television got stolen.
Malware is no different.

But if you would not have clicked that file, then in 9 out of 10 times your security would have given you LOADS of info why you should or should not click a file.
I am so done with "ohh my security failed it sucks" when YOUR finger did click the file.
or did your security program told you: Yes do click that file, we got it covered... lol really?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.