Advice Request Why would an online retail site ask for login credentials every time?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
An online retail site I visit daily to check prices of their items, would ask me for login credentials every time. I have no idea why they designed it in that way. Is that for security reasons?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
If you regularly clear your cookies they will want to know who you are, as suggested above, so they can sell you more, track your purchases and activity and adjust the prices accordingly. Signing in lets them know that it is you and not me and charge you a higher price than me because they think that they know that you live in a very rich location compared to Brexit Britain. :sneaky:

It is very likely that two people in different locations with different online records will be charged different prices for the same item on the same website at the exact same time. They want to know who you are so as they can adjust the price accordingly. I've seen good deals for products where the price changed as soon as I signed in.

• +Reputation
Reactions: amirr and Mystic

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.