Guide | How To Why You Don’t Need a Full Internet Security Suite by HTG

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Read full article: Why You Don’t Need a Full Internet Security Suite

What is covered:
  • Antivirus
  • Firewall Protection
  • Phishing Filters
  • Cookie Scanning
  • Parental Controls
  • Website Reputation
  • Spam Filters

Bottom Line

Internet security suites can be useful, but they are packed with features you don’t necessarily need. These features can be useful to some people, but these programs are designed to upsell you. Most people would be fine without a full-featured Internet security suite. All you really need is an antivirus program, the security features built into Windows, and some common sense.

I highly recommend reading this, if it hasn't been posted already. Valuable information for new and existing PC users.

Reactions: Nedim

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Totally agree all you need is just an AV, Windows default security features and common sense.

To myself security suites are just scams, if a user doesn't watch their own actions they will still fail to protect them.

I cleaned out one of my customer's system awhile back with BitDefender Internet Security 2013 updated and working correctly with over 30 infections actively running. According to all of the AV testing sites BitDefender has the best protection and detection but still completely fails to protect careless users.

Why pay for a suite that still can not offer any better protection?

Thanks. :D

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Personally, I've never used a suite, but would recommend it to those so inclined. Two primary things needed to secure a PC, the AV & firewall comprise the ISS. So for folk (PC literate, or not) who need them but might not want to go to the trouble selecting individual components, an all-in-one solution (free or paid) could be the best choice. Plus they'd have no need to be concerned with compatibility issues.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"To myself security suites are just scams, if a user doesn't watch their own actions they will still fail to protect them"
100% true ,last time i am infected with virus ramnit in this jan and How ?
I manually eaxecute a exe ,while KIS warn me this is virus but i shutdown KIS manually (I am thinking Oh..its a FP because webroot also installed with KIS)and start the installation.Now my laptop screen goes in trying to remove that.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
This happens to many users, AV's have got so aggressive with false positives that users can't tell the difference and allow malicious processes by turning off protection. It is really sad when AV's continue to flag safe processes. All of the AV's that get the highest score on AV testing sites also have the highest false positive detection.

Higher detection rate equals confusion for many users. That is why it is better to use an AV like Microsoft Security Essential or Windows Defender on Win8.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Higher detection rate equals confusion for many users.
And higher detection rates are also the big draw for those who consume tests results for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and influence the choice in product they choose. AV vendors know that, and it appears they are willing to chance FPs as long as the detection rates are soaring.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
aztony said:
Higher detection rate equals confusion for many users.
And higher detection rates are also the big draw for those who consume tests results for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and influence the choice in product they choose. AV vendors know that, and it appears they are willing to chance FPs as long as the detection rates are soaring.

Yes you're right all they care about is ratings, so what if they continue to flag harmless safe files and make their users think that they have infections and destroy the reputation of legitimate software developers?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
XP is old and lacks the current technologies found in Windows 7 and higher, so yes, you'd need an AV and non-Windows Firewall.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Good read.

No poll option for "I already know and have been using just the features built into Windows 8 for a long time."

My signature below related.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Oops, I never considered extremely advanced users for the Poll. Thanks.
-- See comment to Kudo/Rep.

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Yesterday I cleaned a friend's PC, It was highly infected and almost nothing you can do even you can't access the hard driver, task manager etc... so first I installed Emsisoft Anti-malware (latest) and did a scan with it. detected about 1117 viruses. Successfully cleaned 113 of them and others Emsisoft failed and then I couldn't even run it again. the virus killed it. Also I tried Emergency Kit it also detected the same number as the anti-malware version.
Then tried to install avast free (latest also) on opening the installer only shows "Loading..." for 3 seconds then close. lol

tried to install Kaspersky 2014 it also failed to start.
Installed G Data 2014 detected 1160 and removed them successfully. I was really surprised.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think using a Bootable AV Recovery Disk would have been ideal in that situation. Many AV products would fail to install on a pre-infected PC, I think Kaspersky (or is it Avira?) that has an option to randomise it's process names to bypass infections.

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
internet security may be needed for older people who is not so used to with computer stuff, i personally noticed Kaspersky.IS is working OK with them [not great], because i also noticed 1 infection got through in 2012.

BTW, its better , older people use automatic decision making antivirus/IS...

Most dangerous thing is bringing data/files from office PC to home by USB drive, some office PC don't have antivirus [or they dont regularly update/ or updated antivirus working fine with infected files], your antivirus may not detect that infection which came with your USB drive in your PC, and thats how some of PC infected :p

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Earth said:
I think using a Bootable AV Recovery Disk would have been ideal in that situation. Many AV products would fail to install on a pre-infected PC, I think Kaspersky (or is it Avira?) that has an option to randomise it's process names to bypass infections.

I know, but why G Data which only successfully installed and removed the infections?

And no its Kaspersky. I mean kaspersky is one of the most expensive paid antivirus software, why it doesn't even able to install on an infected pc?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
DaZa9 said:
Earth said:

I know, but why G Data which only successfully installed and removed the infections?

Because G Data is not too popular, many infections will block the popular AV's from functioning.

Enjoy!! :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Well i am still using XP so its firewall is bad so a firewall is needed!!

XP is old and lacks the current technologies found in Windows 7 and higher, so yes, you'd need an AV and non-Windows Firewall.

Emsisoft's Online Armor is a good firewall, and you can turn the HIPS feature off if you don't want to deal with it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.