Guide | How To Why You Don’t Need a Full Internet Security Suite by HTG

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have heard many say that Windows 7/8 firewall is suitable. If you activate UAC, that may be sufficient with Windows firewall. If you do decide on a third party firewall most seem to trust Comodo or Online Armor.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Amiga500 said:
is avast free and windows firewall a good combo or should i use comodo firewall.?

Thanks.

If you utilize UAC prompts when running executable files, then Windows Firewall will be enough, no need for a third-party firewall or HIPS.

Thanks. :D

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
do you think windows firewall and defender and smartscreen will be able to stop ransomware like cryptolocker im not a betting man no way will be any good against it and more people are getting ransomware lately

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
rebel4life said:
do you think windows firewall and defender and smartscreen will be able to stop ransomware like cryptolocker im not a betting man no way will be any good against it and more people are getting ransomware lately

Ransonware must be manually downloaded and executed by the user, if you don't download and execute suspicious files and always utilize UAC, you will never have to worry about ransomware.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Even if stock Windows 8 security features don't prevent CryptoLocker, you'd have to be some fool to execute unknown downloads, or have an out-dated PC. Blame the user, not the OS / AV software.

I

illumination

So my question to all the pro's, is just this, do you take your PC's "laptops" to other places besides your own, where you could potentially become infected by visiting another network? You see, im portable, and travel a lot to places where i run this risk, and it seems to me, standard signature based Av may not be enough for this..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Within the scenario that Illumination pointed out, I recommend Sandboxie, Online Armor with HIPS activated, a good VPN, a keystroke encryptor, and a solid AV like Avast, Bullguard, or ZoneAlarm. If you want to get really crazy with it, train a solid BB for an added layer.
Maybe HTTPS Everywhere, as well.
Also, make sure EVERYTHING you use for security is frequently updated.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For most people, they don't take their desktops and laptops around any more. More people are using their Android or iOS phones and tablets. Have you considered how many non-secure connections you've made on these devices?

Anyway, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get infected by just connecting to an untrusted network, unless your PC is vulnerable and open to exploit from out-of-date software and/or executing unknown content and files.

So if you're travelling and using public Wifi hotspots, I suggest using a trusted VPN service to ensure your connections are secure at all times.

Windows Firewall also has a setting for Public profile, be sure to use this profile on untrusted networks. However, I've experienced that some Antivirus software may not fully function; avast's Streaming Updates did not work on Public networks, but you should remain protected with it's main definitions.

I think I've said before, a home user behind a Router shouldn't run a risk of being "hacked". Even on a protected, trusted home network users get infected.

Oh, and utilise UAC, it is a useful feature of Windows.

illumination said:
So my question to all the pro's, is just this, do you take your PC's "laptops" to other places besides your own, where you could potentially become infected by visiting another network? You see, im portable, and travel a lot to places where i run this risk, and it seems to me, standard signature based Av may not be enough for this..

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
FreddyFreeloader said:
Is Webroot Secure Anywhere considered a suite?
It doesn't include its own firewall, the hallmark of the traditional suite. But it does have a module to tie into the OS firewall, like the new Avira IS.
Edit: It does have its own firewall. I'd read somewhere that it didn't, but after reading Earth's comment I did a number of searches to confirm.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
WSA utilises Windows Firewall.
http://www.webrootanywhere.com/sah_Firewall.asp?n=About_the_firewall

Maybe someone may have more information regarding this. :D
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=345350

FreddyFreeloader said:

I

illumination

Earth said:
For most people, they don't take their desktops and laptops around any more. More people are using their Android or iOS phones and tablets. Have you considered how many non-secure connections you've made on these devices?

Anyway, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get infected by just connecting to an untrusted network, unless your PC is vulnerable and open to exploit from out-of-date software and/or executing unknown content and files.

So if you're travelling and using public Wifi hotspots, I suggest using a trusted VPN service to ensure your connections are secure at all times.

Windows Firewall also has a setting for Public profile, be sure to use this profile on untrusted networks. However, I've experienced that some Antivirus software may not fully function; avast's Streaming Updates did not work on Public networks, but you should remain protected with it's main definitions.

I think I've said before, a home user behind a Router shouldn't run a risk of being "hacked". Even on a protected, trusted home network users get infected.

Oh, and utilise UAC, it is a useful feature of Windows.

illumination said:

I have seen home networks, where one system was infected, and the nasty infection jumped around in the network, with systems up to date and running Av's, i know it is possible.

aztony said:
FreddyFreeloader said:
It doesn't include its own firewall, the hallmark of the traditional suite. But it does have a module to tie into the OS firewall, like the new Avira IS.
Edit: It does have its own firewall. I'd read somewhere that it didn't, but after reading Earth's comment I did a number of searches to confirm.

WSA has a firewall module, that only monitors the connections for malicious activity, this module does tie into the windows firewall..

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
aztony said:
FreddyFreeloader said:

WSA has a firewall module, that only monitors the connections for malicious activity, this module does tie into the windows firewall..

Then the info from different sources is confusing when describing the features of the suite. Thanks for verifying I wasn't seeing things. :)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@illumination, How?

What is a worm? said:
Because worms spread by exploiting vulnerabilities in operating systems, software vendors supply regular security updates. If you install these updates on your computer, the majority of worms won’t be able to infect it.

Source

I

illumination

Earth said:
@illumination, How?

What is a worm? said:
Because worms spread by exploiting vulnerabilities in operating systems, software vendors supply regular security updates. If you install these updates on your computer, the majority of worms won’t be able to infect it.

Source

If file sharing and other services are on, any open ports on the firewall, ect In some cases the Router itself can become infected..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have seen home networks, where one system was infected, and the nasty infection jumped around in the network, with systems up to date and running Av's, i know it is possible.

Short answer: WORM

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Only affects inadequately protected systems, am I wrong?

Like I said previously, Windows Firewall has a public profile, and you can Block all incoming connections for even allowed applications.

In all seriousness, I think going to extremes causes more confusion (like AV testing sites). You're not going to get infected. You should only be concerned if you're using Windows XP SP2 with IE6, but other than that, nothing to be paranoid about. :)

Do you believe in ghosts?

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Webroot uses the Windows firewall.
soq3fF8.png
[/img]

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Worms can operate independently; as such, they do not need a "host program" like a virus does. They are notorious for hopping around from PC to PC on LAN's.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.