Guide | How To Why You Don’t Need a Full Internet Security Suite by HTG

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
I

illumination

Earth said:
Only affects inadequately protected systems, am I wrong?

Like I said previously, Windows Firewall has a public profile, and you can Block all incoming connections for even allowed applications.

In all seriousness, I think going to extremes causes more confusion (like AV testing sites). You're not going to get infected. You should only be concerned if you're using Windows XP SP2 with IE6, but other than that, nothing to be paranoid about. :)

Do you believe in ghosts?

my only thought, goes back to an age old argument on here, how many AV's are capable of 100% protection/prevention.

Now i dont know about you guys, but i know i can always reset my machine if it gets infected, but this requires hours of work to do so.. I personally would rather run a few different products to provide over lapping protection. this does not mean i need to run so many programs that my machine is crawling, but a traditional signature based AV is not enough in my opinion now days.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
illumination wrote
Now i dont know about you guys, but i know i can always reset my machine if it gets infected, but this requires hours of work to do so..
Why hrs of work? Couldn't you do a backup image of your pre-infected hard drive to an external drive that you can detach from the system. And if the worst case scenario occurs restore your system with that image.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
MrXidus said:
Good read.

No poll option for "I already know and have been using just the features built into Windows 8 for a long time."

My signature below related.

Keep it fully patched, add EMET and you have solid security right there.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As requested, here's what Microsoft' MPC says:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/11/19/backup-the-best-defense-against-cri-locked-files.aspx

They've added detections for variant A and B. Plus methods to Backup your files with SkyDrive's version history.

rebel4life said:
do you think windows firewall and defender and smartscreen will be able to stop ransomware like cryptolocker im not a betting man no way will be any good against it and more people are getting ransomware lately

bunyip783

Level 1
Mar 1, 2011
When it comes to suites I must admit I seem to be of a different opinion to most people here. If a product comes with a fully packaged firewall along with a standard antivirus I like being able to customize it all within one window. Like KIS > KAS would be my preference. If I did use a third party firewall, I would only do so with an antivirus package and not a separate combo like Avast and Comodo. If I did, then I still wouldn't be able to do it all in one window so there would be no point in using it over windows firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.