Why you shouldn't use a fully free VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
Some trial accounts have restrictions like no P2P on their network or a limited amount of bandwidth. Usually signing up for a trial account would also require you to input a credit card into your account and would charge you when you start your 3 day trial or something like that.

Not the case with Nord VPN ;)
Which is why Nord VPN might be the outlier from all the free VPNs

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Which is why Nord VPN might be the outlier from all the free VPNs
Hmm a 3 day trial doesnt mean its a free vpn, even if u can simply make a new acc each 3 days. Its there to test the vpn and to check to buy or not to buy it. Not to abuse it like that. Its still a paid vpn service, with a free 3 day trial to test.

Reactions: Weebarra

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Basically, this would only matter to me if I was doing something that would draw the heat of "Eyes" intelligence agencies. "Eyes" is really all about terrorism and other really serious crimes against the member states - such as treason, espionage, sabotage, etc.

If you are on U.S. soil and are suspected of committing a crime under federal jurisdiction - basically, whether or not use of an electronic device was a part of the crime - then the agencies may hack your devices. Period.

Post-Patriot and all the pertinent laws and federal court decisions that came post-Patriot... guess what ? All they need is suspicion.

Research all of it.

That's the bottom-line truth! Anyone for Hunger Games? Oh, we're already playing.....!

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
I have paid VPN because I often use free, unprotected WIFI networks. Simple derision.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Windscribe I would say is a perfect example of what could be the best 'free' VPN out there.

~LDogg

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
Hmm a 3 day trial doesnt mean its a free vpn, even if u can simply make a new acc each 3 days. Its there to test the vpn and to check to buy or not to buy it. Not to abuse it like that. Its still a paid vpn service, with a free 3 day trial to test.

I disagree, it's effectively a free vpn without the disadvantages. If you can afford it by all means use a subscription to support them, but for people who can't there's nothing wrong with 'abusing' it. To be honest it's not a barely-scraping-by company, they make a ##### ton of money

Klettern

Level 1
Verified
Jun 26, 2018
Most free VPNs are essentially honeypots for your data to sell to the marketers or hand out to law enforcement. I wouldn't use most of them. If you are interested about the most notorious ones you could read it here

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I use Windscribe Free and it is always connected out even if I don't have it connected. I will try closing the program completely and see if the connections stays.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_115 Aug. 28 16.06.jpg
    ScreenHunter_115 Aug. 28 16.06.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 367

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I use Windscribe Free and it is always connected out even if I don't have it connected. I will try closing the program completely and see if the connections stays.

I am using Windscribe Pro, and it shows an established connection when the VPN is not in use, but the Windscribe Client is still running. I assume that it stays in contact with the mothership to perform some basic housekeeping tasks. Like perhaps keeping up with the currently available VPN server endpoints, just in case you might want to connect.

However, if I exit the client, the established connection drops immediately.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.