tim one

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Some personal opinion about totally free VPN that many people use to try to get anonymous, to mask their identity, to access geographical restrictions.
These VPN seem to be an easy way to encrypt what you do on the internet.

But the reality is not always gold and I would like to explain the reasons why you should not use these types of VPN.

The first problem is that the VPN servers have a big cost.
Despite this fact is hidden for the user, to manage a VPN means that you have to set the servers (always power-on and connected), hire employees to keep them working and write a software that allows you to route the connection and you must also consider a great cost for the connection band.

So the price of a free VPN is the loss of your privacy.
Let's say some problems are relatively negligible, as the limited bandwidth or slow connection but there are also more serious problems including a bad encryption, targeted ads and privacy invasion, like I said.

You're not paying with your money but you're paying with your private information. And this is ironic because many people use VPN services because worried of protecting their privacy on the internet.

But a clarification: some VPN companies offer their services for free to get lots of users, and then try to monetize later. They offer a limited free plan and a paid one more complete, with which they hope to cover the costs for free users, for example Windscribe, Avira Phantom VPN, etc.

If a company does NOT use these options, but still it offers a totally free service, then there is something suspicious.

When you use a free VPN service, it gets all your personal information. This is the problem because VPN services can do whatever they want to earn the money that you do not pay.
They can sell your personal data or worse, put your computer into a botnet.

For instance, Hola a popular free VPN service used by million users around the world, was discovered to use the users PC as a proxy server.

Beware Botnet: Why You Should Avoid Using Hola VPN

Think about it, someone of which you have absolutely no idea surf on the internet doing various things, and what info are tracked? Yours.

PS: these are just general and personal considerations, I don't want to specify case-by-case, but simply keep your eyes open if you want to use a free VPN service.
Nobody gives anything for nothing and a free VPN service is not an exception. As with any other free service, in one way or another you will pay for it.

tim one

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
It may be true that free Vpns are not good, but paid and big names are also known for scandals. HideMyAss and PureVPN for example. To cut a long story short: you shouldn't generalize everything.
PureVPN Explains How it Helped the FBI Catch a Cyberstalker - TorrentFreak
Hotspot Shield is also under criticism.
In the case of PureVPN I think that if a criminal investigation is in progress, no providers may refuse to provide the requested data to the police.
Of course, the privacy policy is very relative in these cases.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Some vpn services like all those free online services, even of those who are paid, when these services are going through difficult economic times, they prostituting themselves in response to the currency affiliation in exchange for offering our track record to analytics 5 eyes companies that include adware, malware in its legal and signed executable containers, to obtain status of your sowing and harvesting that passes through in the use of that vpn tunnel that is installed on your pc, even goes further exploiting your sensitive processes in the system to be present at all times when vpn is not in use. no one works for the love of art, it is always with a financial or spying intention to know if you are a terrorist candidate, narcotraficant, pedophile, money launderer, political enemy, bisexual or hermaphrodite, if you have a disease, or consumer of colombia perica .

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Excellent recommendations @tim one. Thank you very much.

If I may add something: when searching for a VPN to suscribe to, I suggest searching for two specific items:

• Any known scandals/opinions/reviews about it's data sharing with companies/justice
  • Log Policy/Information storage policy
Regarding the last one, always choose a service that provides no log policy, so in case anything is out of control, they have nothing to share about you. A great example about this is NordVPN or ExpressVPN.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Excellent recommendations @tim one. Thank you very much.

If I may add something: when searching for a VPN to suscribe to, I suggest searching for two specific items:

• Any known scandals/opinions/reviews about it's data sharing with companies/justice
  • Log Policy/Information storage policy
Regarding the last one, always choose a service that provides no log policy, so in case anything is out of control, they have nothing to share about you. A great example about this is NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
Don't forget about AirVPN, I remember once @Lockdown also mentioning IVPN, but it costs quite a bit. :confused:

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
It may be true that free Vpns are not good, but paid and big names are also known for scandals. HideMyAss and PureVPN for example. To cut a long story short: you shouldn't generalize everything.
PureVPN Explains How it Helped the FBI Catch a Cyberstalker - TorrentFreak
Hotspot Shield is also under criticism.

My advice for the youngest in matery of security is: never use free programs that require permanent online connection, use them under a firewall and download updates regularly on your official website when there are higher versions, even, It should not even be installed on your host, only in a virtual environment. that's why you should not use vpns free. you don't know if in the future the supposed faceless kindlyman, what one day he gave free, tomorrow or later will be it, when the macabre offer from hoarders is irresistible in front of his eyes, the money buys power, corrupts all philosophies, religions & civil democracy.

Don't forget about AirVPN, I remember once @Lockdown also mentioning IVPN, but it costs quite a bit. :confused:

You have to purchase IVPN during Black Friday or Cyber Monday @ 50 % discount = $50 U.S.

However, if you are ultra-paranoid, then you skip meals for a week (maybe longer) and save your money to buy security softs...

Just think how much money a lot of people waste... that they could place towards an annual security soft budget. But most people don't want to pay for security softs. They don't want to pay for any software really. And most certainly do not know what a "security soft" is - at least not in the same manner as most regular MT members.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

Many people expect VPNs to offer first-rate anonymity, but VPNs are not for anonymity - they are first and foremost for traffic encryption. Anonymity and encryption are really mutually exclusive - but the average person that uses a VPN thinks that they are the same.

The vast majority of VPNs offer adequately secure traffic encryption, but many do not offer true anonymity.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Windscribe policy is not bad at all. Windscribe now has a lot of free users than paid users, and I think they will start selling free users data for money soon as Avast did with their free software to maintain the business and income or Windscribe already did it for a long time ago. I believe All VPN services will keep users data just in case if you decided to use their VPN service for illegal activities. Windscribe stated clear that they only keep your timeline connection within 3 minutes of session termination, and your bandwidth will reset every month. However, Windscribe said they don't log user IP at all in which I disagree with it. What happened if I decided to use their VPN service for illegal activities that got the government agencies attention? Who will get busted? The VPN provider or the user? Of course, it will be the user with the user IP.

When You Use Our Service
We store total amount of bandwidth your account has consumed in 1 month period, which is reset every month on the day of your registration. This is used to enforce free tier limitations as well as prevent abuse. We do not store historical usage. We also store a timestamp of your last activity on the Windscribe network, this is done to weed out inactive accounts. We do not store connection logs, IP timestamps, or sites you visit (we are firm believer that one's browsing history should be taken to one's grave).
When You Are Actively Connected to a Server
For the duration of your connection we store the following data in a temporary location: OpenVPN username, VPN server connected to, time of connection, amount of data transferred during the session. This data expires and is discarded within 3 minutes of session termination.
When You Leave
If for some strange reason you decide not to use our service anymore, the only piece of information that will remain is your username, password and email address (if you provided it). We periodically prune inactive accounts. You can request your account to be deleted by sending us a support ticket.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Windscribe policy is not bad at all. Windscribe now has a lot of free users than paid users, and I think they will start selling free users data for money soon as Avast did with their free software to maintain the business and income or Windscribe already did it for a long time ago. I believe All VPN services will keep users data just in case if you decided to use their VPN service for illegal activities. Windscribe stated clear that they only keep your timeline connection within 3 minutes of session termination, and your bandwidth will reset every month. However, Windscribe said they don't log user IP at all in which I disagree with it. What happened if I decided to use their VPN service for illegal activities that got the government agencies attention? Who will get busted? The VPN provider or the user? Of course, it will be the user with the user IP.
If you use a VPN service for illegal activities and got the attention of the authority(ies) the latter will inform the VPN provider. Likely you'll be warned and gets terminated if you still continues the illegal activities.

FYI, VPN providers have ways to know and track you without knowing your IP address and that's because you are using their service. If you are the VPN provider won't you device ways to track your users without using their IP address?

VPN is generally good against mass surveillance but not against targeted surveillance

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If you use a VPN service for illegal activities and got the attention of the authority(ies) the latter will inform the VPN provider. Likely you'll be warned and gets terminated if you still continues the illegal activities.

FYI, VPN providers have ways to know and track you without knowing your IP address and that's because you are using their service. If you are the VPN provider won't you device ways to track your users without using their IP address?

VPN is generally good against mass surveillance but not against targeted surveillance

After doing extensive research, I found out that Windscribe VPN is under 5 eyes which mean Windscribe can decide to track my data and release it to the authority at any time given. More than the majority of VPN providers are under 5 eyes or 14 eyes based on my research discovered.

Reactions: oldschool

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
After doing extensive research, I found out that Windscribe VPN is under 5 eyes which mean Windscribe can decide to track my data and release it to the authority at any time given. More than the majority of VPN providers are under 5 eyes or 14 eyes based on my research discovered.

all vpns have to cooperate givin information to richard and charlie in the investigations, only if the case is serious, no company will defend you if you are an infringer, even if the company is not in the 5, 9 14 eyes.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
After doing extensive research, I found out that Windscribe VPN is under 5 eyes which mean Windscribe can decide to track my data and release it to the authority at any time given.
Doesn't take extensive research just to read their FAQs where they clearly state they are based near Toronto.

This subject has been done to death many times and I'll say again what I've said before, which is along similar lines to what @askalan and @HarborFront said earlier. The thread title is far too much of a generalisation and is actually, in some respects, incorrect. There are certainly many free VPNs that I wouldn't use because of privacy/security concerns, but there are also plenty of paid ones that also concern me. For instance, Cyberghost, the favourite VPN of a lot of Malwaretippers, was recently revealed to be sharing customer data with Facebook, and they only stopped after they had been outed.

Five eyes notwithstanding (and as @MeltdownEnemy says, being based in a non five/fourteen eyes country is unlikely to bring more security or privacy) all of Windscribe's plans, including their free ones, are a great deal more secure than the plans of many paid VPNs. Proton VPN is also pretty good in this respect, although not quite as good as you might initially think:
ProtonVPN Review - Slow Speeds, IP Leaks, DNS Leaks, and Bugs

If you want free, I would certainly recommend Windscribe, and I would also give a somewhat guarded recommendation for Proton VPN, but that's about it.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Doesn't take extensive research just to read their FAQs where they clearly state they are based near Toronto.

This subject has been done to death many times and I'll say again what I've said before, which is along similar lines to what @askalan and @HarborFront said earlier. The thread title is far too much of a generalisation and is actually, in some respects, incorrect. There are certainly many free VPNs that I wouldn't use because of privacy/security concerns, but there are also plenty of paid ones that also concern me. For instance, Cyberghost, the favourite VPN of a lot of Malwaretippers, was recently revealed to be sharing customer data with Facebook, and they only stopped after they had been outed.

Five eyes notwithstanding (and as @MeltdownEnemy says, being based in a non five/fourteen eyes country is unlikely to bring more security or privacy) all of Windscribe's plans, including their free ones, are a great deal more secure than the plans of many paid VPNs. Proton VPN is also pretty good in this respect, although not quite as good as you might initially think:
ProtonVPN Review - Slow Speeds, IP Leaks, DNS Leaks, and Bugs

If you want free, I would certainly recommend Windscribe, and I would also give a somewhat guarded recommendation for Proton VPN, but that's about it.

I have a concern with Windscribe privacy policy. Windscribe stated, " For the duration of your connection we store the following data in a temporary location: OpenVPN username, VPN server connected to, time of connection, amount of data transferred during the session. This data expires and is discarded within 3 minutes of session termination." Do they delete EVERYTHING after 3 minutes? I don't really know.

Unless a person knows they are doing something that might lead to a government investigation - such as political dissidents active on the internet against their government and\or living under an oppressive regime - fretting over VPN logging & privacy policies is absolutely ridiculous.

No VPN in its right mind is going to go down in flames to provide absolute anonymity to any of its users. Understand what VPNs are really saying... "We provide high anonymity, but we are not providing absolute anonymity."

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Unless a person knows they are doing something that might lead to a government investigation - such as political dissidents active on the internet against their government and\or living under an oppressive regime - fretting over VPN logging & privacy policies is absolutely ridiculous.

No VPN in its right mind is going to go down in flames to provide absolute anonymity to any of its users. Understand what VPNs are really saying... "We provide high anonymity, but we are not providing absolute anonymity."

The problem is that the vpn does offer almost only 10% of anonymity, 80% is obtained on your own own knowledge.
people have a false understanding trusting what they offer in their newsletters characteristics, which is a silly trap for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.