Question Will Avast Free users be forced to switch to Avast One eventually?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Xciting

Level 2
Jun 14, 2023
Anything bought by norton is gonna die almost for sure at some time if norton was smart they would merge all 3 compaines technology aspects into each other or create one ultimate antivirus using avira sdk, avast engine and norton SONAR. But no they decide to make stupid desicions lol, look at happened with bullguard! they actually used some technology from bullguard into avira but that was it for norton actually doing something good '=' and both norton and bullguard both would suck but bullguard had features that most compitetors didnt have like that one game booster. No other av had as good of a game booster as bullguard while norton has no exceptional features besides its decent bb SONAR thats all thats really good and mabye firewall as well is decent. Theres no unique features in norton. Avast has been growing but now its starting to downsize on its self after norton bought it. This is my take on avast "Avast has always been and still is a good antivirus program, but the buyout from norton has led it in a different path which is a bad one."

Last edited:

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
Anything bought by norton is gonna die almost for sure at some time if norton was smart they would merge all 3 compaines technology aspects into each other or create one ultimate antivirus using avira sdk, avast engine and norton SONAR. But no they decide to make stupid desicions lol, look at happened with bullguard! they actually used some technology from bullguard into avira but that was it for norton actually doing something good '=' and both norton and bullguard both would suck but bullguard had features that most compitetors didnt have like that one game booster. No other av had as good of a game booster as bullguard while norton has no exceptional features besides its decent bb SONAR thats all thats really good and mabye firewall as well is decent. Theres no unique features in norton. Avast has been growing but now its starting to downsize on its self after norton bought it. This is my take on avast "Avast has always been and still is a good antivirus program, but the buyout from norton has led it in a different path which is a bad one."
I have a license for Norton AntiVirus Plus valid until 2026 so I just tried it yesterday to see how it is. OMG.....Browser extension, password manager, cloud backup, software update, system optimizer, anything under the sun, it's in there... so much for the lowest tier AV only solution! Uninstalled within 2 minutes after puking looking at the UI.... shut down the machine....turn it back on the next morning...completely bricked! Had to format my laptop and waste all day reinstalling all my software and applying system tweaks! Never again!

Xciting

Level 2
Jun 14, 2023
I have a license for Norton AntiVirus Plus valid until 2026 so I just tried it yesterday to see how it is. OMG.....Browser extension, password manager, cloud backup, software update, system optimizer, anything under the sun, it's in there... so much for the lowest tier AV only solution! Uninstalled within 2 minutes after puking looking at the UI.... shut down the machine....turn it back on the next morning...completely bricked! Had to format my laptop and waste all day reinstalling all my software and applying system tweaks! Never again!
lol FR man wasted his money on norton LOL ngl i would only use it if it was completlely free lol even then tho i too have a norton 360 for gamers license key but it requires my credit card

How about u gimme the license :devilish:

jk.

Last edited by a moderator:

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
I had the same experience Spartan with Kaspersky Premium. I was overwhelmed with all settings and features it had, and plus it slowed down my computer. I'm surprised it didn't have a setting to wipe your face after a meal. I went back to Bitdefender Internet Security, it is much more simple and minimal difference in protection.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
lol FR man wasted his money on norton LOL ngl i would only use it if it was completlely free lol even then tho i too have a norton 360 for gamers license key but it requires my credit card

How about u gimme the license :devilish:

jk.
Most of us here have 2-3 different AV subscriptions and get curious as to how a different AV may perform, it's features etc. So as with @Spartan (Norton AV+) I may have been curious as well. I've been tempted to try it, but my F-Secure, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky Plus subscriptions are enough for me to "play around with". :)

Xciting

Level 2
Jun 14, 2023
Discussing Disciplinary Actions
Guys i got a warning for saying a sentence in all caps
heres the image of the warning bro like its really bad to say a sentence in all caps ig???? reallly MalwareTips....

Last edited by a moderator:

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
pipol still use that AV after they sold their user's data?
What are pipol ? :ROFLMAO: and thanks for digging up old news dude or dudette.

Avast is one of the more thrustworthy AV now. So keep your facts straight , you pipo(l)

Amnesia

Level 1
Aug 23, 2021
What are pipol ? :ROFLMAO: and thanks for digging up old news dude or dudette.

Avast is one of the more thrustworthy AV now. So keep your facts straight , you pipo(l)
LastPass is one of the more thrustworthy Password Manager now. So keep your facts straight , you pipo(l)

• HaHa
Reactions: Jonny Quest

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015

A product merging all technologies they now own would be one of the strongest security programs out there if done right. I'd certainly be curious to try it out.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Will Avast Free users be forced to switch to Avast One eventually?
Avast One remains to be optional for the foreseeable future.

Avast One Migration - FAQ:

Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security will continue to receive virus definition updates and application updates as normal. Migrating from Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security to Avast One is optional. You can choose if you want to remain using Avast Premium Security, or migrate to Avast One.​
You could speculate that no new features are coming to Avast Free or Premium..

Avast One is a modernised and streamlined combination of 3 distinct Avast product-lines: 'Free Antivirus', ‘Premium Security' and other ‘Standalone products’. Avast Free Antivirus users have the most of gain from the migration, whereas Avast Premium users have the most to lose:
  • You lose access to the following features that are not included in Avast One:
    • Wi-Fi Inspector
    • Mail Shield
    • Sandbox
    • Data Shredder
    • Rescue Disk
    • Remote Access Shield
    • Do Not Disturb Mode
    • Gaming Mode
    • Some advanced Firewall settings

Most Free AV users don’t care about Paid AV features, so it would be interesting to see and hear opinions of Avast Premium Security users and if they are willing to sacrifice the so-called Premium features.

Another reason are the incompatibilities with Avast Standalone products and Avast One.
However, it is not possible to use the following applications alongside Avast One:
  • Avast SecureLine VPN
  • Avast Cleanup Premium
  • Avast AntiTrack
  • Avast BreachGuard
  • Avast Driver Updater
If you try to install Avast One when you already have any of the above listed applications installed on your PC, the Avast One installation is blocked.

A forced migration would spell disaster for multi-year license holders of Avast Premium Security and other standalone products.

Spartan

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
A product merging all technologies they now own would be one of the strongest security programs out there if done right. I'd certainly be curious to try it out.
to each his own, but I like having individual apps to do things (ie. CCleaner standalone not bundled, HiBit Uninstaller, use the manufacturer's update tool for official drivers, separate VPN from a company that I know and trust and gives me great speeds)

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
to each his own, but I like having individual apps to do things (ie. CCleaner standalone not bundled, HiBit Uninstaller, use the manufacturer's update tool for official drivers, separate VPN from a company that I know and trust and gives me great speeds)
Especially true for password managers, so you don't have to be locked into a suites password manager should we decide to change AVs. Which we all pretty much end up in doing over the years.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.