Advice Request will be buying a desktop with this config

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

viktik

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Desktop components
  • INTEL CORE I5-6600K 6M SKYLAKE QUAD-CORE 3.5 GHZ LGA 1151 DESKTOP PROCESSOR
  • MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 INTEL Z170 USB 3.1 ATX INTEL MOTHERBOARD
  • G.skill Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Desktop RAM (F4-3000C15D-16GTZB)
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB Desktop SATA Internal Hard Drive
  • Seasonic M12II-620 EVO M12II Series 620-Watt Modular Power Supply
  • CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES WHITE/RED SPEC-ALPHA MID-TOWER GAMING CASE
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212X - Premium Air CPU cooler for all Intel / AMD Processor - Cooling Solution

i have to choose one from these
  • LG 27MP68HM freesync
  • LG 24MP88HM IPS

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Would be really good to know what your intentions with the computer are!

You REALLY need to consider an SSD. It´s the one thing i´d never want to be without. I would recommend at least a 250GB SSD for OS and everyday applications!!

For gaming it´s really good with a dedicated GPU of your choice even if i´m an Nvidia fanboy myself. But with the Freesyncscreen an AMD card might be the better choice to avoid problems!?

If the intent are videoediting, imageediting/enhancement etc i´d go for the IPS-screen because of the better colours.

Also i´m not a fan of Seagate. Would def choose WD over Seagate. But once again it´s down to personal preferences.

All in all, with a didicated GPU and an SSD it´s a solid config!

BTW: It´s a good thing to check out the motherbords manufactor QVL for compatible RAM if you haven´t already done so. In most cases they work even if not listed but if you buy one on the QVL-list you´re guaranteed it´s compatibility are tested. Also make sure that the Rams won´t be in the way for the CPU-cooler. That one you´ve chosen takes some place and on som mobo´s you need LowProfile (LP) rams in order to fit it!
Just a thought!

Last edited:

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
You REALLY need to consider an SSD. It´s the one thing i´d never want to be without. I would recommend at least a 250GB SSD for OS and everyday applications!!

Absolutely agree. I have a PC and a Laptop over 6 years old, which I've replaced the Hard disk with an SSD and they both fly! An SSD boot drive should be made compulsory in all PC's/Laptops.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You should consider an SSD for the Operating System and Programs, either 128GB or 256GB to keep costs down, without sacrificing performance.

Steam games can be installed / moved to the 1TB HDD through the settings.

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
If you are planning 1080p gaming with these monitors there's no need for GTX 1070, in my opinion. Go with GTX 1060 or RX 480 and you will save the money.
It would be a shame if you don't buy a SSD with this build. Consider one.

LG 24MP88HM IPS is a better quality monitor.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
You wil have much more fun with your brand new machine when you buy a SSD. I think a SSD with 128 GB should
be enough for the OS and programms. (Steam-) games can be stored on the HDD. I have SSDs in my two gaming laptops (both 225 GB):
currently using 80-90 GB for OS (W7 and W8.1) and programs. Big Steam games (BF4, BF3, COD series, GRID series, etc, etc ) are on internal HDDs.

Reactions: frogboy

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
If you are planning 1080p gaming with these monitors there's no need for GTX 1070, in my opinion. Go with GTX 1060 or RX 480 and you will save the money.
It would be a shame if you don't buy a SSD with this build. Consider one.

LG 24MP88HM IPS is a better quality monitor.

Can confirm, running my 27" 1440p monitor with a GTX 980. GTX 1070 is definitely overkill for 1080p. Also, I wouldn't touch any 27" monitor that isn't 1440p. 24" 1080p all the way.

Also agreeing with above posts recommending a SSD. The speed difference between a 7200rpm HDD and a Samsung SSD, for example, is night and day in favour of the SSD.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If you're buying polaris based gpu or nvidia gpu 620W is more than enough for single card. Buy a Samsung 850 EVO SSD because its cheaper since 960 was launched recently and make your PC future-proof for another 2-3 years.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I forgot because I already viewed your thread couple of days ago. Please edit your title to suggest its already built.

Reactions: XIII
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.