Advice Request Will India ultimately Ban VPNs? Share your opinions and info..

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Home Ministry of India has proposed a nation wide ban of VPNs. Will government pass the bill and ban VPNs??
It is highly doubtful. When I lived in Bangalore and Delhi, cryptocurreny was banned back then but the govt had almost zero ability to enforce the ban. In short, everybody kept trading cryptos in India, scoffing at the law and govt. It will be the same with VPN. The govt can ban VPN for unregistered personal use, but then there will be no enforcement - not unless the govt grants the domestic ISPs with the powers to block VPNs like as in China. In India, enforcement in rural areas is nonexistent.

There is a way to quash VPN usage in India. Make companies that sell VPN services there slap a huge tax onto VPNs - one that most people will not be willing to pay. Then hold those VPN sellers responsible for proper enforcement.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
It will be sad if they do but it won't be the end of the world for me. I mainly use it to access region blocked content.

Many argue on this site that VPN's are unnecessary for most people or from a security aspect but I guess that depends on the individuals use case.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Idk if they ever will ban the VPNs but seeing how they (BJP) ran country for last 8 years, they will try their best. We all know they bought Pegasus spyware for controlling opposition parties/journalists/powerful people.
This is literally the worst govt India ever had in terms of economic growth/jobs, privacy of citizens, freedom of press & communal harmony. There's a reason most of the mainstream news channels (except few) are called 'Godi Media' (Lapdogs Media), BJP has full control over them.

Many argue on this site that VPN's are unnecessary for most people or from a security aspect but I guess that depends on the individuals use case.
Not unnecessary when govt is trying to spy on you for doing ur job as a journalist or being opposition to check the govt.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Recently became aware that people use VPNs in China and Russia. Aren't VPN's are supposed to be banned here? In Russia infact, a LOT of people are using VPNs and especially recently due to the war with Ukraine.
viewing such a scenario I think VPNs would be usable pretty normally in India. Maybe some not so good VPNs would be restricted access by networks but the good ones would definitely work without any repurcusions to the users. What is your opinion?

Reactions: brambedkar59

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Ummmm, I wouldn’t like to get caught using a VPN in China. You might be in a bit of trouble. Very dangerous things to have apparently. From memory, Apple removed around 600 from the Chinese app. store a few years ago at the behest of Beijing. In India however it would be different I think. Most people who want them would already have them. Wireguard and Lightway protocol’s make it difficult for ISPs to track and subsequently report their usage and, as a previous poster pointed-out, actual enforcement of a ban would be problematic for any government. Don’’t forget, India is a democracy, a ban probably wouldn’t last long on the books anyway.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
Ummmm, I wouldn’t like to get caught using a VPN in China. You might be in a bit of trouble. Very dangerous things to have apparently. From memory, Apple removed around 600 from the Chinese app. store a few years ago at the behest of Beijing. In India however it would be different I think. Most people who want them would already have them. Wireguard and Lightway protocol’s make it difficult for ISPs to track and subsequently report their usage and, as a previous poster pointed-out, actual enforcement of a ban would be problematic for any government. Don’’t forget, India is a democracy, a ban probably wouldn’t last long on the books anyway.
Yeah, I mean seems in China , Russia VPN ban is kinda in grey area. Meaning no one can actually deem its use illegal ,exactly. So the countries probably can't put an exact ban on VPNs. Then India shouldn't be able to either. For very long Torrents have been in a banned kind of state also. But how many people who used to use them have stopped using it anyways?

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Thankfully India is a pretty vibrant democracy, there’s always a chance of government change. From what I hear though, Prime Minister Modi and the BJP have used the last nine years to try and stifle media, political and social opposition to thier style of rule. As mentioned above, they have employed some pretty nasty tactics to quell desent. Let’s hope things improve soon.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.