Will you do a cleam install?

D

Deleted member 178

I always do a clean install, with time the system get lot of junk (drivers, dll, etc...) and all those may botch the upgrade.
Most of the issues i read about upgrades of Windows are on system updated via Windows Updates. Issues while clean installing? almost none (maybe except drivers for uncommon hardwares).
Not saying the size of the OS is way lower than via windows Update (crucial element to me).

Clean install = No malware = clean backup

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I always do a clean install, with time the system get lot of junk (drivers, dll, etc...) and all those may botch the upgrade.
Most of the issues i read about upgrades of Windows are on system updated via Windows Updates. Issues while clean installing? almost none (maybe except drivers for uncommon hardwares).
Not saying the size of the OS is way lower than via windows Update (crucial element to me).

Clean install = No malware = clean backup
So, you're doing clean install two times per year? o_O

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If I had the time I would... but besides the time it would take me to reinstall and configure all software I use, one of the programs has to be configured and activated remotely by the company that makes it... And I just can't work if that particular software is not working.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I have the fall creators update and waiting. Currently no system problems, but battlefield 1 with more frame drops.
In other forums, the user have lot of problems after clean install with missing drivers....so i dont know what to do

D

Deleted member 178

I have the fall creators update and waiting. Currently no system problems, but battlefield 1 with more frame drops.
In other forums, the user have lot of problems after clean install with missing drivers....so i dont know what to do
When you clean install, you must try to grab all the drivers first.

If I had the time I would... but besides the time it would take me to reinstall and configure all software I use, one of the programs has to be configured and activated remotely by the company that makes it... And I just can't work if that particular software is not working.
They should give a config file...

Reactions: lowdetection

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
2017-10-19.png

This is the only problem I have after a not clean install and after I had to force uninstall Kaspersky. There is already a thread about this issue in the Intel Forum.

D

Deleted member 178

The problem is configuring the database servers... It requires a private key from the company.
so what happen it your HDD dies for example? they have to give you a new one, right? is it a long procedure or they are just lazy to do ?

Reactions: lowdetection

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
so what happen it your HDD dies for example? they have to give you a new one, right? is it a long procedure or they are just lazy to do ?

Once I am activated and validated I can just change the hard disk and restore an image. It takes around one hour to install/configure and restore my local database backup.The problem is getting an assignment with a technician to do this... Last time I had to do it was in March this year... it took five days to schedule the remote installation... Five days I had no client information or even knew what was happening with my client's litigations...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Now that Fall Creators update is out, are you going to do a clean install? For one I will be doing a clean install of everything since it cleaner than upgrading.

I clean install my system every 3 months anyway. So most likely, once the current 2 months left in my 3 month cycle finishes. It takes 15 minutes for me to wipe and restore, downloading is pretty speedy on a 400Mbps connection (formerly 1000Mbps) of anything that needs to be downloaded.

Nothing quite like a fresh and clean system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.