Advice Request Will you update you present windows OS to Windows 8.1?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmad

Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2013
Personally, Windows 8 is FAST and RESPONSIVE. Though Windows 8.1 has been improved a lot, I would like to stick to 8 for a little while. 8 is ok, but not as good as 7. So Windows 7 is still my main OS for study and work, 8 at home. Will you update to the newest windows OS or keep using the present OS?

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I have an aging XP desktop running like a swiss watch, and a fairly new Win 7 desktop that is humming along just as nice. I have no pressing need to upgrade neither any time soon.

justmad

Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2013
the start button in 8.1 is not the traditional start button. Well, this makes no sense to have one in 8.1.

aztony said:
I have an aging XP desktop running like a swiss watch, and a fairly new Win 7 desktop that is humming along just as nice. I have no pressing need to upgrade neither any time soon.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Updated earlier this week! :D

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
No change to have 8.1 for me...

I belong to use start8 because I don't like the new button...

ad18

Verified
Jan 19, 2013
I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. It does not seem too different. I think it is like a big service pack.

Emy12

Level 1
Dec 22, 2011
I just updated two laptops to 8.1, a Presario that works perfect and a XPS L521x that has a problem with the brightness, I can not adjust it, increase/decrease. It seems that there is an issues with HD4000 graphics driver.
The main laptop (XPS 15z),still with Win 7 & Ubutu/XP/Vista installed on VMware Workstation.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
hello

i'm glad i'm waiting to update to Win 8.1 for the time being as i see alot of people have trouble with it
it's not the first time and will not be the last from Microsoft i'v seen it with Win XP sp2 and i'm sure
other SP's also

thay can not guess issues with every combo of software and hardware out there on peoples computers but most forums
i read have someone in trouble in one way or the other and some people could have trouble and not know because the
trouble is something thay do not use often enough to know yet

Windows 8 forum has some
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/

technet forum
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?category=w8itpro

Virtualbox forum Windows host
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=6
Windows 8.1 (released) host Critical Structure Corruption
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57893

just to name a few places

i know there will always be someone with trouble with this type of upgrade but i'm glad to wait and let Microsoft sort
it out before i jump in so i will just set back and watch for a bit

:)

James

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 the day it came out and am finding it much better then 8.

justmad

Thread author
Verified
Sep 2, 2013
the new button really makes no sense. I use Start Menu 8 instead.

bob974 said:
No change to have 8.1 for me...

I belong to use start8 because I don't like the new button...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Many wanted the the Start button back, now MS has improvised and forced the Start Screen on everyone. -Evil Laugh-

So of course it makes no sense to those you prefer the "Start Menu". The new start button is only for the "Start Screen".

Freddyand5

Verified
Sep 18, 2013
Going through reviews and people response on it. Will wait a bit, may take up to a month to decide whether to stick with Windows 8 or update to Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.