'Win 10 Tweaker' - Recommendation

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Thread author
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
It's up to each individual to decide what to keep / remove. The developers opinion of each Windows feature doesn't matter a whole lot to be honest, all that matters is his ability to code his software to properly enable/disable those features.

Too many antivirus programs are just so bad about the false positives. More of them should follow Kaspersky's lead and actually put in the effort required to properly categorize things. Most of them really just take the easy way out.

If you read the forums on his website it is pretty obvious the software is coded out of passion and not greed or shady reasoning, if anyone has actual proof showing otherwise then I would be glad to see it.

The free version is extremely non-limited and that says a lot.

I don't trust Microsoft. I only run Windows because I'm acquainted with it and for the most part know my way around it well enough. I personally like to remove/disable as many Microsoft 'features' as possible and use third-party software that I trust.

Sure, Bitdefender is an alright option for some, same with Defender and the default Firewall. Hardening can go a long way if done correctly.

But, with this you are really putting 'all of your eggs in one basket' and on top of that you are putting a lot of faith in Microsoft itself. Jetico is for the most part closed-source, but I rather trust them with my disk encryption than Microsoft, and if I want open-source there are several good options as well.

Eventually I'll probably start running Linux (probably Qubes).

Either way, this software allows you to decide for yourself what to 'tweak' and if you don't agree with the author's opinions on Window's 'features' then there is really no harm done. I have political views, but when it comes to hiring someone to put a new roof on my house I look for someone trustworthy and reliable with a decent price, not for someone that agrees with everything I do.

I totally understand why people get nervous when their antivirus software throws up a flag, but if I wasn't confident they were false positives then I wouldn't of posted it here. AV companies should be held more responsible for their 'detection', but the way things are now they just flag first and ask questions later. It really puts a lot of burden on software developers.

A friend of mine codes and maintains a very popular gaming network and he absolutely dreads updating the client, cause it's such a massive hassle for him to contact all the AV companies to get the false detection removed. A lot of you might not notice such things, but coding is hard enough, especially when it's for free (or next to nothing).

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
It's up to each individual to decide what to keep / remove. The developers opinion of each Windows feature doesn't matter a whole lot to be honest, all that matters is his ability to code his software to properly enable/disable those features.

Too many antivirus programs are just so bad about the false positives. More of them should follow Kaspersky's lead and actually put in the effort required to properly categorize things. Most of them really just take the easy way out.

If you read the forums on his website it is pretty obvious the software is coded out of passion and not greed or shady reasoning, if anyone has actual proof showing otherwise then I would be glad to see it.

The free version is extremely non-limited and that says a lot.

I don't trust Microsoft. I only run Windows because I'm acquainted with it and for the most part know my way around it well enough. I personally like to remove/disable as many Microsoft 'features' as possible and use third-party software that I trust.

Sure, Bitdefender is an alright option for some, same with Defender and the default Firewall. Hardening can go a long way if done correctly.

But, with this you are really putting 'all of your eggs in one basket' and on top of that you are putting a lot of faith in Microsoft itself. Jetico is for the most part closed-source, but I rather trust them with my disk encryption than Microsoft, and if I want open-source there are several good options as well.

Eventually I'll probably start running Linux (probably Qubes).

Either way, this software allows you to decide for yourself what to 'tweak' and if you don't agree with the author's opinions on Window's 'features' then there is really no harm done. I have political views, but when it comes to hiring someone to put a new roof on my house I look for someone trustworthy and reliable with a decent price, not for someone that agrees with everything I do.

I totally understand why people get nervous when their antivirus software throws up a flag, but if I wasn't confident they were false positives then I wouldn't of posted it here. AV companies should be held more responsible for their 'detection', but the way things are now they just flag first and ask questions later. It really puts a lot of burden on software developers.

A friend of mine codes and maintains a very popular gaming network and he absolutely dreads updating the client, cause it's such a massive hassle for him to contact all the AV companies to get the false detection removed. A lot of you might not notice such things, but coding is hard enough, especially when it's for free (or next to nothing).
Thanks for your interesting input. May I know what good free options for file encryption, besides VeraCrypt, are there :)?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
There's nothing wrong with disabling IP6 as long as you don't use it. I have mine disabled for the Ethernet connection. My ISP doesn't support IP6. The same goes for OneDrive. Feel free to remove it if you don't use it. I have completely removed it from my system using other methods as I don't use OneDrive.
What I dislike about the devs is that, he/they consider UAC, Windows Defender, SmartScreen useless. Also, according to @Trismer, the dev urges not to use any AV which is nonsense.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There's nothing wrong with disabling IP6 as long as you don't use it. I have mine disabled for the Ethernet connection. My ISP doesn't support IP6. The same goes for OneDrive. Feel free to remove it if you don't use it. I have completely removed it from my system using other methods as I don't use OneDrive.
What I dislike about the devs is that, he/they consider UAC, Windows Defender, SmartScreen useless. Also, according to @Trismer, the dev urges not to use any AV which is nonsense.
Maybe he has a hidden agenda and all those tools (UAC, Windows Defender, SmartScreen) are a nuisance to him when he wants to take over your system :D

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Only just read this thread, I've used programs such as this in the past & for me they have always caused issues - I'm not against tweakers but not even downloading this one - This PC is running beautifully & thinking I'll keep it that way :rolleyes::rolleyes:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You can get an unlimited number of IPs from a single IPv4.
Don't know how you come to this result.
IPv4 can only handle 4.294.967.296 addresses.
On LAN side this doesn't matter sure but on WAN side it's a problem.

Everyone, who does not like PUA thinks that
I don't like PUA either but don't share your opinion about OneDrive.

Onedrive steals files, prevents users from changing settings, etc.
Wow. I can't believe you say such things.
Don't know why you're spread such but I'm out here. Doesn't make any sense

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Anyway I used to use such a tools in the past and they caused issues but nothing was noticeable in the changes they did at least not in performance-wise.
I don't prefer disabling features or services blocking them is better.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Wow. I can't believe you say such things.
Don't know why you're spread such but I'm out here. Doesn't make any sense
You should visit tenforums sometimes, you would be surprised. After Cortana, OneDrive is the second most annoying app in 10 people look how to get rid of.

Don't know how you come to this result.
IPv4 can only handle 4.294.967.296 addresses.
You can put a router behind a router, indefinitely. Hosting providers have also found a way, thus many webpages have the same IP and CDN flourish. It is "cheating", but it works.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
When it comes to "windows tweak" software like the mentioned one in the OP, i just simply don't trust any software I can't verify myself. Verify as in knowing what it exactly changes and how. Does it use regedit, gpedit, or some roundabout way in PowerShell etc... I have done this for personal use in the past to automate settings after successful installations. But I just gave up after a couple of years. It's a very time-consuming, and intensive, cat and mouse game with Microsoft which I just didn't have the patience for anymore...

Nowadays I check what new things are being changed through PrivateZilla their GitHub and see what's new mostly, while afterwards just editing the policies applicable for me in gpedit, PowerShell commands and if I absolutely have to manually a registry. In win10 pro most things can be found in gpedit anyway, just through the most dubious and weirdest changes in names or merges of several entries.

In the past I also consulted Windows Privacy Dashboard (wpd.app) for laughs to see if I could break or unbreak something. There is also O&O ShutUp10, but i never really actually used that program.

And like @TairikuOkami i have lurked on TenForums (without account) for quite some time and well...I'm just happy that a lot of bloatware like onedrive can be uninstalled now with a right-click, instead going through registry and all those other methods over the course of the years.
Note: I don't use onedrive, hence it's bloat- and crapware for me personally.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So it seems, that this app is like Hard_Configurator, it likes to use GPO instead of changing values directly. Thus it is unable to detect already applied setting. I am not fond of that. :cautious:

Attachments

• capture_01172021_170605.jpg
    capture_01172021_170605.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 124

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.