Troubleshoot win 7 clean install I cannot get win updates to even work

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I just installed win 7 on a computer. Now Windows updates will not even work once. I tried the trouble shooter no luck.
I was once told a way to install updates without the updater how do I do that? And does anyone have a way to fix this update issue.
Thank you in adavce

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I would recommend you first try to check the integrity of system files, like @Huracan suggested, using the following method:
1. Click on start menu, and search for command prompt.
2. Right-click the first result, and click Run as Administrator.
3. In the command console that appears, enter the following command:
Code:
sfc /scannow
4. Wait for the process to finish.
5. Once it's finished, restart your computer.
6. Once your computer has fully restarted, try running Windows Update again.

Upvote 0

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I just installed win 7 on a computer. Now Windows updates will not even work once. I tried the trouble shooter no luck.
I was once told a way to install updates without the updater how do I do that? And does anyone have a way to fix this update issue.
Thank you in adavce
I noticed this issue on lots of computers. The real problem is that there are too many updates to do, and That's why Windows update is not working properly and download them

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I think it is a Microsoft issue too. But is there a way to just install the updates from a
3rd party and skip the updater if I cannot get it to work?

Upvote 0

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I think it is a Microsoft issue too. But is there a way to just install the updates from a
3rd party and skip the updater if I cannot get it to work?
I wouldn't trust any 3rd party updaters with OS updates, personally.

The way I see it, the only way to perform these updates is to manually download each one from the Microsoft Download Center. Still, that's almost impossible considering the amount of updates, plus they need to be installed in a specific order which is rather difficult to find out manually.

Does this happen on other computers of yours too?

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I ran the repair with my win 7 installation disc. I ran sfc/scannow
then I get the message that a repair is in progress to restart windows and
run sfc again.
I have done that twice and just keep getting the same msg I said before

Upvote 0
I

illumination

I ran the repair with my win 7 installation disc. I ran sfc/scannow
then I get the message that a repair is in progress to restart windows and
run sfc again.
I have done that twice and just keep getting the same msg I said before
At this point, i would try performing a clean install with the installation disc again, if same problem occurs, it is more then likely an issue with the installation disc, in which case you would need another source to install windows 7 with.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I already have an antivirus installed, so I would uninstall it and use the 360 total security to run the
patcher? Some of the reviews for this antivirus are not the best

Avoid using third party WU updaters, it won't resolve the issue. Also Windows Updates guarantee you get the correct patches for your OS and version.
That is true it will not fix the windows issue just get the updates.
Thank you for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.