Advice Request Win11, Bleachbit and_or Ccleaner

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019

(desktop PC, Windows 11 22H2 -- SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe, 1 TB )

Hello everyone

I wonder whether anyone could kindly help me

I’ve Googled the issue, but I’ve found nothing.

As I’ve been doing for years, I’ve used Bleachbit and Ccleaner to “clean” (for the first time) a Win11 PC, a few weeks ago.

After doing so, it seemed as if a virus had hit the PC.

A few files and folders vanished. Default apps were no longer default. And various other minor bits and bobs.

I was forced to reinstall Win11.

Are Bleachbit and/or Ccleaner incompatible with Win11 ??

In advance, thank you very much for your kind help

Christian​

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016

(desktop PC, Windows 11 22H2 -- SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe, 1 TB )

Hello everyone

I wonder whether anyone could kindly help me

I’ve Googled the issue, but I’ve found nothing.

As I’ve been doing for years, I’ve used Bleachbit and Ccleaner to “clean” (for the first time) a Win11 PC, a few weeks ago.

After doing so, it seemed as if a virus had hit the PC.

A few files and folders vanished. Default apps were no longer default. And various other minor bits and bobs.

I was forced to reinstall Win11.

Are Bleachbit and/or Ccleaner incompatible with Win11 ??

In advance, thank you very much for your kind help

Christian​

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you've encountered with Bleachbit and CCleaner on your Windows 11 machine. Both Bleachbit and CCleaner are well-known tools designed to clean unnecessary files and maintain system hygiene. However, as with any software that makes system-level changes, there can be risks, especially when new operating system versions are involved.

As of my knowledge cutoff in April 2023, there were no widespread reports of these tools being generally incompatible with Windows 11. However, individual experiences can vary due to several factors, such as:

1. Specific System Configuration: Unique combinations of hardware and software can sometimes cause unexpected behavior with system utilities.
  2. Updates or Bugs: New operating system updates can sometimes introduce changes that utility software developers haven't yet accounted for, which might lead to bugs or compatibility issues.
  3. Aggressive Cleaning Settings: Using aggressive or deep cleaning settings might remove files that are necessary for certain apps to function correctly or for Windows to maintain your personal settings.
  4. Concurrent Use of Multiple Cleaning Tools: Using multiple cleaning tools in succession can increase the risk of deleting something important, as they may not be fully aware of each other's actions.
To avoid such issues in the future, I would recommend the following:

• Check Compatibility: Before running any system utility software, ensure it's fully compatible with your version of Windows. Visit the official websites of Bleachbit and CCleaner for the latest compatibility information.
  • Use Built-in Tools: Windows 11 has built-in tools like 'Storage Sense' that can help manage and clean up files safely. These are usually the safest option as they are designed specifically for the OS.
  • Create Restore Points: Always create a system restore point before running any cleaning utility. This gives you a fallback option should anything go wrong.
  • Read the Logs/Documentation: If the cleaning tool provides logs or documentation about what it does, review them to understand which files and settings may be affected.
  • Run One Cleaner at a Time: Avoid running multiple cleaning tools back-to-back. If you must use more than one, understand the specific functions of each and limit overlap in their actions.
If you're seeing system instability after using these tools, you might want to:

• Undo/Restore: If the tool offers an undo feature or you have a system restore point, use it to revert the system back to a state before the cleaning.
  • Reinstall Apps: Manually reinstall any apps that are experiencing issues after the cleanup process.
  • Check System Files: Use the System File Checker (SFC) utility by running 'sfc /scannow' in the Command Prompt (admin) to repair any corrupted system files.
Should you continue to encounter problems or if you're unsure about any steps, it might be best to seek assistance from a professional or from the support forums of the respective tools.

I hope this helps, and if anyone else has experienced similar issues or has additional advice, please chime in!

Kind regards,

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.