System logs
Yes, I've uploaded both FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs

JJMax

Operating System
Windows 7
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Hey so I'm trying to dual boot an old computer but it wouldn't let me use any bootable disks. I ran Malwarebytes and AVG free and removed a bunch of PUP's and a rootkit but the problem still persists. There seems to be issues with the event logger not starting and it looks like the attacker is using a usb drive J (that is empty) to run files

Operating System
Windows 7
Infection date and initial symptoms
Windows says OS not genuine even after it accepts product key. Tried to install a Linux distro and dual boot but DVD drive wouldn't recognize non-audio disk

Connected drive to another computer running Linux and found Windows7 partition mounted, so I'm guessing that might now be infected as well but I haven't booted up in Windows on that machine since
Current issues and symptoms
Event logger won't start, DVD drive won't recognize non-audio disks, resource monitor not working, Windows 7 not genuine error, getting a BSOD after trying to remove suspicious files, Windows then recovers and restores files
Steps taken in order to remove the infection
Malwarebytes scan found nothing, deep scan found and removed a rootkit and a bunch of PUP's, scanned with AVG free and a few files were also detected and removed

Tried moving some files around, changing permissions and renaming them

Attachments

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
MalwareTips Team
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
Hello,

I do not see signs of malware in your logs.

JJMax

Operating System
Windows 7
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Hello, thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions?

I've attached the output of the Malwarebytes scan that found threats. I uninstalled AVGfree but it also found threats. I can look for logs from that or reinstall if that helps

Attachments

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
MalwareTips Team
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
Was this MalwareBytes scan done before you opened a topic with FRST reports?

JJMax

Operating System
Windows 7
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Yes, I think it was the first scan I ran

JJMax

Operating System
Windows 7
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Actually I think the first scan was just the normal scan and MalwareBytes didn't find anything and then I ran a deep scan and those were the results

TwinHeadedEagle

Removal Expert
MalwareTips Team
Verified
Operating System
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
You've been infected with some serious malware. I suggest to wipe your drive and install system from scratch.

JJMax

Operating System
Windows 7
Antivirus
Malwarebytes
Yeah seems like it. Problem I'm having though is when I remove the HDD and try to boot from a recovery disk or livecd the bios doesn't see anything in the DVD drive