Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
WinContig FREE and portable!

WinContig is an easy-to-use stand-alone defragmentation tool that doesn't create any installation directories or Registry entries on your computer. Its purpose is to quick defragment files without the need to defragment the whole disk. In addition, WinContig allows you to group files and folders into profiles for processing them later. WinContig supports FAT32 and NTFS file systems and it works with Hard Disks and SSDs.

Most defragmentation tools perform a general defragmentation of an entire partition. In a real life scenario, you often want to defragment a single file or a directory, for example to improve the loading speed of a program file, or to reduce the loading time of a certain disk intensive application like a game.

WinContig has been designed specifically to meet the needs of users who focus mainly on files and folders rather than an entire disk.

What's new in version 3.0.0.0:
  • Dropped support for Windows XP. Starting from this version, the minimum supported OS is Windows Vista.
  • WinContig has a new Options dialog box.
  • Added the ability to load a profile at startup.
  • Added the ability to change the media type associated with a physical disk.
  • Added the ability to prevent the defragmentation of the files when computer runs on battery power.
  • Added the ability to filter out the files by the number of their fragments.
  • Added the ability to filter out the files by the size of their fragments.
  • [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to close WinContig by pressing the ESC key.
  • [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to highlight the row of the currently processed item.
  • [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to show the profile name on the title bar.
  • Some minor bugs fixed.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Well I decided to do a little test and defrag certain folders that have been accessed the most in the last two days with Wincontig. (Yes I have way too much free time!)

Here is where my HD fragmention was (analyzing with O&O defrag) before doing so:

1599605902338.jpeg

And here is results after with most used files/folders defragged with Wincontig using the default quick method, which didn't take too much time btw!

1599606173373.jpeg

I was impressed that I did notice a difference... sooo I decided to use Wincontig to do FULL HD defrag of both drives instead of just folders and also switched to optimized method. Now this took a little longer but again very fast and not even half an hour! And here was the results after:

1599606319709.jpeg

It actually defragged files on my F: drive that O&O had been skipping probably because of larger file size. And did it faster! His program does NOT use contig btw, he states it on his web site. And Wincontig is very nice because it can store profiles that you can switch between such as I did with full drives or just specific folders as shown here:

1599606994577.jpeg

1599607036867.jpeg

And it's free and portable too! (I am wondering if this could just replace the use of O&O since it seems faster.) On a side note: I decided to do the "optimze all" auto optimize feature on O&O defrag and it went fast on the f: drive and brought it down to 0.06% fragmentation within a few minutes... now the c: drive is still going and is slower always on O&O defrag because being the system drive it chose optimize and on the other game drive of mine it chose quick optimize. It saying will take 3 hours to complete!? The c: drive is at 40% done and at 0.67% fragmentation. So I might either use wincontig for full fragmentation and use O&O to optimize after the fact or not at all? Either way all cleaned up and time to do another monthly backup! LOL.

Attachments

• 1599606077558.jpeg
    1599606077558.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 1599606099977.jpeg
    1599606099977.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Numbers are always nice but how different is the performance before and after?

Please test with drive benchmark
Well now you tell me, but it is already defragged! And I was just curious to see if it was actually noticable defrag percentage wise and if O&O would acknowledge it. The pictures speak for themeselves! Seems like it does and possibly close to the same algorithm? BTW I think Wincontig uses windows built in (not sure?) but doesn't ignore the over 64 mb file size. Perhaps you can test it with drive benchmark?

• +Reputation
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
** Update ** Well I will only be having to use Wincontig for my secondary drive (That i install games on) since I am upgrading all the family PC's to SSD for windows c: drive and getting 16 gb ram upgrade too! :) (BTW they are sooo cheap for a 250 gb ssd, Amazon has the PNY on sale right now!)

Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Update new version of Wincontig 4.0

Version 4.0.0.0:​

• Improved support for Windows 11.
  • Added the ability to analyze and/or defragment files and folders from the context menu of File Explorer.
  • Added the ability to set the prioritization of the defragmentation engine (performance versus responsiveness).
  • In the Fragments dialog box, now fragments are also listed by file cluster. This is useful if you want to investigate how complex the fragmentation of a file is.
  • [User Requested Feature] Added the ability to copy fragmented files listed in the lower pane to the upper pane.
  • Some parts of the GUI were not correctly displayed in high contrast mode. Fixed.
  • Some minor bugs fixed.
New version here: WinContig

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.