Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10’s November 2019 Update, also known as version 1909, is the best update to Windows 10 yet.
It’s a small update that’s quick to install, doesn’t add any crazy new features, and isn’t breaking many things.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Off topic but related question for win10 2004 insiders: is it easy to launch a linux program from the new windows terminal (e.g a browser)?

Reactions: [correlate]

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
For me it was the hardest update ever. At the end of the update process (after succesfully updating to 1909), I got an 0x800f0988 error and the update was reverted by the installer. Tried all hints and solutions I could find googling. Tried updating through the service, downloading the update, through offline installer. No avail. I removed/disabled all security software, reset my PC to factory standards, but it would not update, It even refused to create an USB while using the image update tool. SO I created an USB on my girlsfriends laptop and tried a fresh 1909 install.

That fresh 1909 installation succeeded, but it did not recognize my Wireless card at the end of the process, but it offered an option to continue offline.luckily I found a WHQL Windows driver for my qualcom atheros card and now I am online. Probably the phone home after the update did not return the correct response (with no internet) and caused the updater to think it had failed.

So I made an image backup of fully working fresh1909 install and returned to the old 1903 image. I connected my laptop with the router through an UTP-cable and .... the update ran smoothly and succeeded without problems! So when you hear people struggling with this 1909 update you could suggest to try it again with an UTP-internet cable.

Because of the cleaner image I am back on the fresh install 1909 version and my 10 year old laptop feels a little more responsive.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
what is the UTP cable relation with the update :unsure: :unsure: ?? you mean speed of update downloading ??

Did you install optional updates :unsure: :unsure: ?
I spend one evening trying everything what I could find on the Internet as a solution. The UTP-cable was needed because after the fresh install of 1909 through USB media creation tool, the driver for my wireless card did not work anymore. So my guess when the update wanted to check for something (e.g. calling home or check for last updates), it got a time out which probably made the updater conclude that the update failed and it automatically reverted the update. This is the reason I made an image backup of updated fresh 1909 and reverted back to image with 1903 on it and tried to update with UTP-cable connected (so in case connection got lost through wireless it could fall back to cable connection).

I used three update versions: through Windows update, as a seperate download and finally using the media creation tool. All showed me it downloading the update, checking it and installing it until it reached 100%, then it hung for some time and after some time it reverted back the (seemingly 100% finished) update when I used my wireless connection. On a cable connection it ended with no problem.

Reactions: Venustus

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For me it was the hardest update ever. At the end of the update process (after succesfully updating to 1909), I got an 0x800f0988 error and the update was reverted by the installer. Tried all hints and solutions I could find googling. Tried updating through the service, downloading the update, through offline installer. No avail. I removed/disabled all security software, reset my PC to factory standards, but it would not update, It even refused to create an USB while using the image update tool. SO I created an USB on my girlsfriends laptop and tried a fresh 1909 install.

That fresh 1909 installation succeeded, but it did not recognize my Wireless card at the end of the process, but it offered an option to continue offline.luckily I found a WHQL Windows driver for my qualcom atheros card and now I am online. Probably the phone home after the update did not return the correct response (with no internet) and caused the updater to think it had failed.

So I made an image backup of fully working fresh1909 install and returned to the old 1903 image. I connected my laptop with the router through an UTP-cable and .... the update ran smoothly and succeeded without problems! So when you hear people struggling with this 1909 update you could suggest to try it again with an UTP-internet cable.

Because of the cleaner image I am back on the fresh install 1909 version and my 10 year old laptop feels a little more responsive.
I also have a qualcom atheros card on the laptop. And I have had intermittent problems with the wifi. My son-in-law installed the Dell detector software, and updated the wifi driver, which for me was counter-intuitive (I assumed Windows would give me better drivers). But now things are working right. Sometimes you just have to hunt down your own drivers.
I realize that this is somewhat tangential to the point you were making, but I just thought I would mention it anyway, since the core issue was the wifi driver.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Most people don't want to clean install Windows because reinstall all programs take a lot of time.
That is true, however I take @Umbra approach with every major update and to be brutally honest, I have not once run into any issue with a MS feature update, not one. Every update has been smooth sailing for me and it doesn't take me all that long to do. I mean the W10 installer is so fast now that within 30-45mins I have W10 fully installed, up to date and all my main program installed. For me this is also a chance to review all my programs and only reinstall the ones I am actually using. We may have alot of programs installed, but if we take the time to figure out the ones we actually use on a regular basis, it's probably nearly half of what we have installed, at least that's how I feel anyways.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Most people don't want to clean install Windows because reinstall all programs take a lot of time.
True, plus as a student/part time cook I had bought a digital license of Office which was useless after clean install. But I should have taken my loss sooner (new digital Office 2016 pro license for just 19,95 euro). In hinsight next time I will check how much a new digital license costs after one hour of trying. Next time I certainly will remember @Umbra 's maximum waist time rule of judt half an hour.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
That is true, however I take @Umbra approach with every major update and to be brutally honest, I have not once run into any issue with a MS feature update, not one. Every update has been smooth sailing for me and it doesn't take me all that long to do. I mean the W10 installer is so fast now that within 30-45mins I have W10 fully installed, up to date and all my main program installed. For me this is also a chance to review all my programs and only reinstall the ones I am actually using. We may have alot of programs installed, but if we take the time to figure out the ones we actually use on a regular basis, it's probably nearly half of what we have installed, at least that's how I feel anyways.
Even so, tweaking the operating system and installed programs until you are happy with it is a major effort.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

True, plus as a student/part time cook I had bought a digital license of Office which was useless after clean install. But I should have taken my loss sooner (new digital Office 2016 pro license for just 19,95 euro). In hinsight next time I will check how much a new digital license costs after one hour of trying. Next time I certainly will remember @Umbra 's maximum waist time rule of judt half an hour.

Just out of curiosity, shouldn't a digital licence be tied to your MS account? If so, all you should have to do is log into the Office website, un-register the previous installation, download it again, reinstall it and viola? Not saying your wrong, but most digital licences from MS should be tied to your account and reactivation shouldn't be an issue. At least that's my understanding.

Even so, tweaking the operating system and installed programs until you are happy with it is a major effort.

That is true and I am not arguing that it doesn't take time. My point and I am sure its @Umbra's as well, is that while MS has had and continues to have issues when it comes to major feature updates, the vast majority of issues seem to stem from the fact that people do in-place upgrades. While much easier and simpler, it has a larger potential for something to go wrong, especially with that much code being changed. Don't get me wrong, I 100% believe the MS needs to do a better job when it comes to in-place upgrades, but you cannot deny that doing a clean install effectively reduces the amount of issues with these upgrades. I'm only speaking from experience, like I said earlier I have yet run into any issues by doing it this way and I have been doing it this way since W10 first came out. I know some many not agree with the time aspect, but even if it takes you an hour, IMHO 1 hour of your time knowing that you will have a system that is clean and will be issue free, is worth it in my books. I would much rather that, than spending an unknown amount of time researching and trying to fix a problem that may not have happened if I did a clean install from the get go.

That's my 2 cents anyways.:)(y)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Because they are lazy or lacks methodology and skills. It is why home users even knowledgeable in computer can't compare with professionals, they don't envisage repercussions of their acts.

Because you are lazy. You need one clean install every build release aka 6 months.

I will share with all of you the proper methodology :

First, you need to have 2-3 partitions or some external HDDs.

1- do the clean install (30mn max) don't launch any updates.
2- do a system backup right away (via Windows backup) on one of the partitions or Ex-HDD.
3- do windows updates, install drivers, install a 3rd party backup soft if you prefer. No other softs yet.
4- repeat point 2 on a different partition. now you can use your 3rd party if installed.
5- install essential programs you need, no games, security softs or other crap.
6- backup again (on another partition if you only use windows backup).
7- install your other softs.
8- final backup.

Now you have at least 2-3 separate CLEAN backups, if you have any updates issues in the future, you have as much points in time to restore and try again. It will take 5-10mn max to restore.

I do this since ages, I never encountered any problems with Windows Updates.

So tell me where is the difficulty in there?
The only obstacle is your lazyness...
You are lazy, then don't complain if your system is faulty.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Because they are lazy or lacks methodology and skills. It is why home users even knowledgeable in computer can't compare with professionals, they don't envisage repercussions of their acts.

Because you are lazy. You need one clean install every build release aka 6 months.

2- do a system backup right away (via Windows backup) on one of the partitions or Ex-HDD.
3- do windows updates, install drivers, install a 3rd party backup soft if you prefer. No other softs yet.
4- repeat point 2 on a different partition. now you can use your 3rd party if installed.
8- final backup.

Now you have at least 2-3 separate CLEAN backups, if you have any updates issues in the future, you have as much points in time to restore and try again. It will take 5-10mn max to restore.

I do this since ages, I never encountered any problems with Windows Updates.

So tell me where is the difficulty in there?
The only obstacle is your lazyness...
You are lazy, then don't complain if your system is faulty.
I do the same, without future stress :cool:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Because you are lazy.
:)

I find that updating Windows in a VM has much less issues. I assume it is because hardware drivers are a major source of update issues, and you don't have that with a VM.
I like to run a Linux host, with a Windows 10 VM for Windows-based software such as MS Office. This has the additional advantage of isolating Windows from flash drives, which are my #1 security threat.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019

8- final backup.

Do you maintain these images after updates, so you
1. First update your current image and create a new 'current install' image.
2. Secondly return to your 'all other softs clean' install image, update windows and all other software and create a new ''all other softs clean' image backup
3. Thirdly return to the 'windows only' image, update windows and create a new 'windows only' image backup.

You have do this twice a year and in case something went wrong: install everything from scratch following the 8-step described procedure. Even with a fast computer and a fast internet connection and dedicated backup software this would take you at least half an hour per half year update session. And what do you do when your image backup has a major update, do you repeat the 1 to 8 step procedure to exclude any risk of forward incompability (in case you needed the image to recover to an older version)?

Are you a pensionado with to much time or are you the Windows version of Sheldon (of the big bang theory who prefers to update and organize all his favourite linux distro's at Christmas over socializing with human beings}?

To your standards forum members may call me Lazy Lenny instead of Lenny Linux :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Do you maintain these images after updates, so you
1. First update your current image and create a new 'current install' image.
2. Secondly return to your 'all other softs clean' install image, update windows and all other software and create a new ''all other softs clean' image backup
3. Thirdly return to the 'windows only' image, update windows and create a new 'windows only' image backup.
Remember,:
- Windows Build are released every 6 months.
- You essentials programs rarely have new full version update in less than a year.
So you don't really need to updates those images at all, and it is even not recommended for security sake. System images are supposed to be totally clean (means made after a clean install with clean softs).

1- You have do this twice a year and in case something went wrong: install everything from scratch following the 8-step described procedure. Even with a fast computer and a fast internet connection and dedicated backup software this would take you at least half an hour per half year update session.
2- And what do you do when your image backup has a major update, do you repeat the 1 to 8 step procedure to exclude any risk of forward incompability (in case you needed the image to recover to an older version)?
1- Is it so much an hassle to dedicate few hours every 6 months for a clean install or an update?
2- if you read properly , you had 3 differents backups), the first and second shouldn't be touched, you only update the final backup (point 8) if you wish, it is not even necessary, since updating a soft is quite fast (unless you have hundreds of them installed).

Are you a pensionado with to much time or are you the Windows version of Sheldon (of the big bang theory who prefers to update and organize all his favourite linux distro's at Christmas over socializing with human beings}?
None of them, i'm so used to do it (after all was not an IT guy for nothing), i just became efficient at it.
But i ask you: do you work all days of the week, 20 hours a day? i guess not, so you can find few hours to do it. ;)

To your standards forum members may call me Lazy Lenny instead of Lenny Linux :)
For someone using Linux (as you name suggest), you should be used to such thing, Linux Distros are the perfect example of perpetual clean installations (unless you use only rolling releases).
The main thing is "what are your priorities?"
1- spending 100% of your free time with friends and family, then yes, my procedure is a bit of an hassle.
2- avoid wasting hours of research, trials & errors to fix weird issues on your system, then yes, my procedure is a great help.
personally i chose point 2, and i even have a decent IRL.

note: i see you spend quite some time on the forum, so i guess , you have quite some free time. :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.