Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has released Windows 10 21H2, also known as the November 2021 Update, and it is available to users running Windows 10 2004 or later as an optional update in Windows Update.

The Windows 10 21H1 feature update is a limited release with only a few new features, primarily directed at business users. However, as this is the latest release of Windows 10, and Windows 10 2004 reaches the end of support next month, it is recommended that users install the new feature update.

Windows 10 21H2 is being rolled out in stages, with it first offered as an optional update to "seekers" running version 2004 or later. Seekers are those who manually perform a check for new updates in Windows Update.

What's new in Windows 10 21H2​

Windows 10 21H2 is one of the smallest feature updates released by Microsoft, with only a few new features, which are outlined below.

With this release, Microsoft has added support for the WPA3 H2E (Hash-to-Element) protocol, which provides increased protection against side-channel attacks. [...]

Also included in Windows 10 21H2 is the eagerly awaited GPU compute feature to the Windows Subsystem for Linux and Azure IoT Edge for Linux and Windows.

GPU compute has been the #1 most requested feature for WSL, and it allows Windows users to use their graphics card to "accelerate math-heavy workloads and uses its parallel processing to complete the required calculations faster, in many cases, than utilizing only a CPU.

To use the GPU computer feature, you will need to have Hyper-V and WSL2 installed.

Finally, this feature update improves Windows Hello for Business by supporting passwordless deployment models for easy rollouts of new machines predefined security policies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
The upgrade to Win11 is being pushed, but I haven't been notified of the 21H2 update.

Something is wrong:censored::coffee:
It's a staged rollout (last paragraph, fourth line); only a certain portion of users will receive the update initially and it'll gradually be pushed to more and more users over time.

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The upgrade to Win11 is being pushed, but I haven't been notified of the 21H2 update.

Something is wrong:censored::coffee:

Should you install the Windows 10 version 21H2 update right now?​

If you administrate devices that run Windows 10, you may wonder whether it is a good idea to install the feature update right now. The feature update is just a smaller update, and that means that there is less chance for it causing issues on the device.

On the other hand, it is usually a good idea to wait weeks if not months before installation of new feature updates. Most feature updates have bugs, some of which are discovered after the release of the feature update.

In any event, it is a good idea to create a system backup before you install the update. It installs quickly and while you may use the rollback option that is integrated into Windows 10, for up to 30 days after installation, it is better to have a second option if something breaks.

Now You: do you run Windows 10? When will you install the new update?
I will wait although its a small update but M$ updates have been a mixed bag lately.

I dont want EDGE to get more powerful and take over all my admins rights.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Does it now have DoH feature built in?
There are really good DNS clients that can be used for System wide DNS resolving.

YogaDNS or what I use Simple DnsCrypt.
DNS MSN Block.jpg

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
In case anyone can't waiting 😜 for me always been worked flawless: Windows 10 Update Assistent 21H2 Build 1.4.19041.1375

Windows 10 November 2021 Update​

The Update Assistant can help you update to the latest version of Windows 10. To get started, click Update now.
Source: Download Windows 10

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Aug 26, 2012
So... I have an SSD (System drive) and an HDD on my PC. Both are Bitlocker encrypted and set to auto unlock.
So if I format the SSD to fresh install the latest Windows version do I have to decrypt both drives or one drive first to avoid any issues?

Reactions: show-Zi and Nevi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
So... I have an SSD (System drive) and an HDD on my PC. Both are Bitlocker encrypted and set to auto unlock.
So if I format the SSD to fresh install the latest Windows version do I have to decrypt both drives or one drive first to avoid any issues?
I feel that troubles around BitLocker can be a hassle. To avoid that risk, I think it's better to decrypt it once and then encrypt it again.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

How to download a Windows 10 21H2 ISO from Microsoft​

To create a Windows 10 21H2 ISO, you can use two different methods.

The first and easiest method is to use the Media Creation Tool (MCT) to create the ISO. However, this takes longer as the tool needs to download files and convert them into an ISO.

Those who do not want to wait for the MCT to create the ISO can download it directly from Microsoft by tricking their site into thinking you are downloading from a mobile device.

Both of these methods are explained below [...]

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

Enhancing security, management, virtualization, and quality​

Windows 10, version 21H2 offers a scoped set of improvements in the areas of security, management, virtualization, and quality to ensure that your organization and end users stay protected and productive.

Let's start with what's new in security. With Windows 10, version 21H2, we are making some critical changes to the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) VPN APIs. This includes the ability to implement common web-based authentication schemes and to reuse existing protocols.

Version 21H2 also supports Wi-Fi 6 with Wi-Fi Protected Access 3 Hash-to-Element protocol (WPA3 H2E) to provide better protection from Wi-Fi side-channel attacks that could steal Wi-Fi passwords and other sensitive information. In a hybrid work situation, users will now be able to keep their web traffic encrypted when connected to open networks or home networks.

Hi Mike,
It's a tiny update that takes minutes with WU. Assistant/ISO/upgrade is not the way to go if you have 2004 or higher.
And the worst part is that you won't notice any difference between 21H1 and 21H2.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Yesterday evening I got the update. Until 70% it took only minutes, after that it started to slow down. First 30 seconds for 1% and gradually increased to 3 minutes for 1%. When it was at 80% it let the PC crunch and this morning it succeeded. No idea how long it took. @oldschool Edge works fine after update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oldschool

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Yesterday evening I got the update. Until 70% it took only minutes, after that it started to slow down. First 30 seconds for 1% and gradually increased to 3 minutes for 1%. When it was at 80% it let the PC crunch and this morning it succeeded. No idea how long it took. @oldschool Edge works fine after update.

Hoi, Mine took about 2min to install from windows update. It might be worth running an sfc /scannow in a cmd shell. (y)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft says Windows 10 version 21H2 is officially "ready for broad deployment"​

Windows 10 version 21H2 is the latest available version, and this version has reached broad deployment status. Microsoft confirms this on the official Windows 10 Release Health website:
Current status as of April 15, 2022 (PT)

Windows 10, version 21H2 is designated for broad deployment. As always, we recommend that you update your devices to the latest version of Windows 10 as soon as possible to ensure that you can take advantage of the latest features and advanced protections from the latest security threats.

windows-10-version-21H2-broad-deployment.webp

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.