Troubleshoot Windows 10 computer restarts to black screen

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
a toshiba satallite l775 laptop restarts to a black screen. I just did a full reinstall of win 10 on the laptop and every time almost every time I boot up it goes to a black screen. Then to get it to finish and get to the windows 10 login in screen I have to push the power button and shutdown . then push it to restart, this always happens if I do a RESTART but only happens part of the time after I shut down and then start up the computer.

Is this a graphic card problem with the laptop? I don't know how to fix this

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Sometimes I face this too, I think it's just your system rebooting all the drivers, normally if I wait for a bit it fixes itself.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
ok I will try waiting it out to see if it actually comes on, on its own. I have waited as long as 20 mins though

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
More of an update it does seem like it is only doing the black screen on a restart. Not when I shutup and
then put the power button to start up

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
no when I go to up updates and look it says my device if update and last check today at 8:45
I even did a check for updates , so updates are fine

Upvote 0

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
okay so 20 minutes is wayyy too long something is definitely wrong. You could try to boot windows services only and see if the restart issue is still happening?

DISCLAIMER I am no expert on this but previously this was the method I used to check an a memory bug on my computer and should work the same way with your computer.

Search for msconfig or system configuration
On the general tab, start up selection click on diagnostic start up. This would only load all basic windows drivers and such. Restart and see if the problem is still happening.
If yes, then there's something wrong with windows 10 and your hardware or configuration
if no, then there's something wrong with one of your other software drivers and you should start checking which one is causing the issue.

Once you are ready to revert your settings back to how they were originally, do the same thing and just check the start up selection of "Normal start up" this should launch all software normally.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
okay so 20 minutes is wayyy too long something is definitely wrong. You could try to boot windows services only and see if the restart issue is still happening?

DISCLAIMER I am no expert on this but previously this was the method I used to check an a memory bug on my computer and should work the same way with your computer.

Search for msconfig or system configuration
On the general tab, start up selection click on diagnostic start up. This would only load all basic windows drivers and such. Restart and see if the problem is still happening.
If yes, then there's something wrong with windows 10 and your hardware or configuration
if no, then there's something wrong with one of your other software drivers and you should start checking which one is causing the issue.

Once you are ready to revert your settings back to how they were originally, do the same thing and just check the start up selection of "Normal start up" this should launch all software normally.
Well it doesnt ever leave the black screen anyway so I will try the suggestions you have given me and let you know

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
it sounds to me like a problem with the graphics driver. Sometimes windows update misses the latest driver.
Try Toshiba for that.
If you can't find what you need there, try downloading the latest version straight from the manufactorer's site, and don't rely on windows update for it. If it is integrated graphics, go to the motherboard site, for instance, Asus, if it is Asus, and search for graphics drivers, for your specific model. It's probably under the chip-set category.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
it sounds to me like a problem with the graphics driver. Sometimes windows update misses the latest driver.
Try Toshiba for that.
If you can't find what you need there, try downloading the latest version straight from the manufactorer's site, and don't rely on windows update for it. If it is integrated graphics, go to the motherboard site, for instance, Asus, if it is Asus, and search for graphics drivers, for your specific model. It's probably under the chip-set category.
I did already try the graphic driver from toshiba it was older than the one I was using. so how do I find what motherboard this laptop has in it

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I did already try the graphic driver from toshiba it was older than the one I was using. so how do I find what motherboard this laptop has in it
when your computer first boots up, before it gets to windows, the mobo manufacturer usually splashes his advert on your screen. It could be intel, asus, gigabyte, or others. I don't know what toshiba uses, I never had one.
If it's hard to tell what make of mobo you have, just google your exact toshiba model, and read the specs. That's the best way becuause you will get the exact model of mobo and everything else, and maybe it has discrete graphics, i.e, a graphics card or GPU. You know what you got.

I hope it goes smooth, it's late in my time zone, so good night...

Upvote 0

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
If you did clean install and you still have this problem it might be the hard drive has some good amount of bad sectors.
Download this program to check your hard disk CrystalDiskInfo
the best thing to do to solve this in case of a bad sectors is to replace the drive
the second option is to do low level format it'll map the bad sectors and should solve your prob but bare in mind that it is risky to save files on the drive

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
when your computer first boots up, before it gets to windows, the mobo manufacturer usually splashes his advert on your screen. It could be intel, asus, gigabyte, or others. I don't know what toshiba uses, I never had one.
If it's hard to tell what make of mobo you have, just google your exact toshiba model, and read the specs. That's the best way becuause you will get the exact model of mobo and everything else, and maybe it has discrete graphics, i.e, a graphics card or GPU. You know what you got.

I hope it goes smooth, it's late in my time zone, so good night...
ok I downloaded cpu-z and found the motherboard to be an intel Oneonta Falls model. when I look it up at the intel site , I cant find anything. But more research tells me that the intel HD graphic 3000 doesnt not have drivers for win 10.
Which could be causing the problem...even though win 10 was running on it for a few months.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
If you did clean install and you still have this problem it might be the hard drive has some good amount of bad sectors.
Download this program to check your hard disk CrystalDiskInfo
the best thing to do to solve this in case of a bad sectors is to replace the drive
the second option is to do low level format it'll map the bad sectors and should solve your prob but bare in mind that it is risky to save files on the drive
I will download that program and check the hard drive next. But I do want to say that I format and install on a new hard drive earlier today and I still have the same problem as on the original drive. The black screen on start up.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ok I downloaded cpu-z and found the motherboard to be an intel Oneonta Falls model. when I look it up at the intel site , I cant find anything. But more research tells me that the intel HD graphic 3000 doesnt not have drivers for win 10.
Which could be causing the problem...even though win 10 was running on it for a few months.
I didn't research which components you have, but if you are running intel HD graphic 300, on windows 10, so download your drivers from here:
Drivers & Software

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.