• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hi,

So i think it will be a good idea to collect bugs/issues encountered by our members , and if possible gives solutions/fixes.

- Please don't report several time the same issues , if it was already mentioned , just quote it to show that you encountered it.

- Don't post things irrelevant to the thread or not helping to find a fix

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
#1 Start Menu issue

Issue: Start Menu freezes and crashes.
Procedure: try to add my apps as tiles to the start menu right panel, one app can be added , the second will freeze the menu and it will crashes; the 1st app added before the crash will disappear.

Fix: I find a fix; seems the default account created during the installation is buggy, one need to create a second account, then set it as admin and delete the first one.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
#1 Start Menu issue

Issue: Start Menu freezes and crashes.
Procedure: try to add my apps icons to the start menu right panel, one app can be added , the second will freeze the menu and it will crashes; the 1st app added before the crash will disappear.

Fix: I cannot manage to find one, tried various methods without success. I reverted to my Windows 10 AU
Don't have this bug. Did you mess with cortana in any way?
Also did you do the windows updates after upgrading to Windows CU? Latest is 15063.11

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
#2 Windows Defender

Issue: Definitions will not update via Windows Update and Windows Defender
Procedure: Definition dates are current but are not installed. Windows Update / Windows Defender will retry without success!

Fix: Windows Update Cache needs to be deleted and after that all works well for one day. (Needs to be reapplied daily!)

Execute "As Administrator":
Code:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
rd /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
net start wuauserv
net start bits

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I found a fix for issue 1 , edited the post.

I encountered issue 2 also while doing my office update; i disabled WD totally , did my update , then re-enabled WD; seems the latest definition 1752 is botched.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
#2 Windows Defender

Issue: Definitions will not update via Windows Update and Windows Defender
Procedure: Definition dates are current but are not installed. Windows Update / Windows Defender will retry without success!

Fix: Windows Update Cache needs to be deleted and after that all works well for one day. (Needs to be reapplied daily!)

Execute "As Administrator":
Code:
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
rd /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution
net start wuauserv
net start bits

Alternative fix:

1- Use Windows built-in Diskcleaner > use it as admin > tick the box to clean Windows Defender
2- Update Windows Defender from WD Security Center
3- check Windows Update in Settings.

Seems MS fixed the flawed definitions.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
#3 Fonts blurred on the MS tools Windows

Victims: seems to affect high resolutions screens.
Issue: In some MS tools (Task scheduler, Windows Firewall, etc...) , the text is blurry. (check screenshot) .
Fix: reduce text size to 100% or reduce resolution.

https://www.winhelp.us/change-screen-resolution-in-windows.html

Issue "fixed" , don't reply about it unless you have new elements to add helping avoiding the issue.

Attachments

• font.jpg
    font.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 496

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
#4 - Incorrect detection of screen brightness during Health scan

Issue: Device Performance & Health reports incorrect screen brightness setting
Affects: Status of Windows Defender Security Centre indicates actions required (System Tray:
upload_2017-4-6_19-11-36.png
).
Fix:
Unknown

Cannot dismiss the recommendation for Battery Life.
upload_2017-4-6_19-10-55.png

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
#5 - Chrome constantly freezing.
ISSUE - I have had this issue for several days now. Chrome is the latest version. Sometimes it works fine others it does not. When it freezes I cannot do anything, open new tab go to another page close it. I have to go into the task manager and kill it.

rupeshkj

Level 7
Verified
Oct 31, 2013
Chrome V57 (x64) working fine.
But another Issue

6# Driver Properties Doesn't show names.

Attachments

• Sketch.png
    Sketch.png
    188 KB · Views: 458
Reactions: Der.Reisende

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
#4 - Incorrect detection of screen brightness during Health scan

Issue: Device Performance & Health reports incorrect screen brightness setting
Affects: Status of Windows Defender Security Centre indicates actions required (System Tray: View attachment 145505).
Fix:
Unknown

Cannot dismiss the recommendation for Battery Life.
View attachment 145504
Yeah I was having the same issue with sleep timing and i changed it to 5 hours and then restarted then it was gone and i again changed the sleep timer to never then it doesn't gave me the WD fix icon it is a bug.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
#7 Smartscreen Setting in Security Center

Issue:
impossibility to set Smartscreen for Edge to "Block"
Fix:
1- disable SS on Edge settings (Settings > View Advanced Setting > "help protect me.... > select "OFF"
2- go to security center > Smartscreen for MS Edge > select "Block "
3- go back to Edge and turn back SS to "ON"

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
The freezing in Chrome was being caused by the "hardware acceleration." Apart from that particular issue, I was experiencing other weird graphical glitches such as drop-down menus not appearing, within both Chrome and Opera. Turning "hardware acceleration" setting off fixed the issues in both the browsers.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
One thing that never happened before is that when ever I get the battery low screen on my computer and I press the close button, it actually minimizes itself as a folder but when I click on it to maximize it, nothing happens. It only goes away after I plug it the power adapter. Not a big deal, but just thought I should mention it

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
#9 Pin Pad missing

Issue/bug : win10 on touch screens doesnt offer the pin pad .
Fix: no idea, because im not sure it is a bug or the feature removed.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Soon after upgrading, the mouse pointer kept changing to showing it was busy every second. I terminated processes in Task Manager until I eventally found the cause, which was Kaspersky Cleaner, so I uninstalled it and it has not happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.