Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4556799: Everything You Need to Know

yuanyasmine

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020
I installed it, but it was a pain in the ass. First it took an eternity as usual. After first reboot NordVPN couldn't connect so I reinstalled it. Then the network connection displayed a no connection icon so I had to reboot again. I love Windows 10 but damn it can be annoying at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I installed it, but it was a pain in the ass. First it took an eternity as usual. After first reboot NordVPN couldn't connect so I reinstalled it. Then the network connection displayed a no connection icon so I had to reboot again. I love Windows 10 but damn it can be annoying at times.

You can uninstall that update

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

That's why you have to wait a week or two to see all the issues roll out into the surface.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Is there any benefit from joining the windows insider program?

Well, for me, it was to check compatibility of some software. For example: Sandboxie. For me, the usability for browsers with this software took a sharp downtown in v. 2004. So, I took this info and made alternative security arrangements. (y)

Of course, I also like to check how performance is ( I found it to be comparable to 1909) as well as certain bugs, how they would (or would not) be handled with successive updates.

Fast Ring is definitely riskier. For example: one time, I was stuck in Safe Mode after a run w/DDU and could not escape at all. This caused me to have to revert to 1909 again. Expect the unexpected w/Insiders, for sure. 🥶

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have a question that relates to windows update insider program etc, Is there any benefit from joining the windows insider program?
It is a land in the process of reclamation where only some people are allowed access. Inspire your adventurous spirit.
Trial reviews inspire our curiosity.:)

This update has been applied without issue. Ever since I experienced the trouble with the update last month, I've been in a state of nervousness in front of my PC for the entire time I've been applying the update.:LOL:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
For the last few years of updates, I feel that too many differences in symptoms depending on the environment in which they are used has added to the confusion of the problem.
Aside from those who have successfully updated and those who have failed to update, there are probably others who have failed to update but haven't noticed because the problems haven't come to the surface.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, this is sort of on the topic. I got a cumulative today--what? Has anyone gotten this one seemingly out of nowhere? It's KB 4497165. An Intel microcode installation so it doesn't change your Winver. Does anyone know anything more about this KB? I had it disabled via InSpectre, but I have full telemetry enabled (thinking about rejoining Insiders). I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if telemetry narked on me and sent this KB my way. lol! Actually--yikes!

intel micocode kb.PNG

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
How's things? no problem at all?
Today Windows practically forced it on me, so I accepted. It downloaded an 80 MB update (the catalog version is some 370 MB), took 20 min. to install, and did not ask for a reboot. Nirsoft shows both updates being successful and both as "revision no. 1." I rebooted and found that my Windows version has not changed. I have had no problems so far with a Realtek audio card.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Today Windows Explorer crashed on startup. I ran sfc /scannow, which found and fixed "corrupted files." The CBS log showed multiple Windows files/folders having two owners, but I didn't see any other specific issues. The mysterious second version of the CU is the only thing I've installed recently, so I'd guess that was what was causing the problems.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.