Windows 10 (RS3)Fall Creators Update16299.15 Via Media Creation Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those Win 10 FCU users that have AppGuard, and are having an issue installing Windows Update KB4041994, set AppGuard to 'Off' ('Allow installs' results in 0x80070643 here).

Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

For info @Lockdown.

KB4041994 is an Insider Build KB. It is not in the Microsoft Update catalog.

We do not support Insider Builds.

This is a "mystery" update that is being offered through Windows Update and a lot of users are reporting across the web that they cannot install it. Those users never heard of AppGuard. That shows installation problems with this "mystery" KB exist without AppGuard installed.

Simply reporting that you had to set AppGuard to OFF cannot be used to diagnose anything. I cannot pursue a fix with such limited infos.

You can report your issue to AppGuard@BlueRidge.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have observed that after a 1709 clean install, Windows Update will:

1. Keep trying to install a driver over-and-over-and-over if a newer version of the driver is already installed - something it did not do on 1703
2. Will not install some drivers (unknown device) that it previously installed on 1703 without issue

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
KB4041994 is an Insider Build KB. It is not in the Microsoft Update catalog.

We do not support Insider Builds.

This is a "mystery" update that is being offered through Windows Update and a lot of users are reporting across the web that they cannot install it. Those users never heard of AppGuard. That shows installation problems with this "mystery" KB exist without AppGuard installed.

Simply reporting that you had to set AppGuard to OFF cannot be used to diagnose anything. I cannot pursue a fix with such limited infos.

You can report your issue to AppGuard@BlueRidge.com.
Thanks @Lockdown. Strange that I'm offered an Insider Build KB as I am on build 16299.19.

I am not surprised that it is an MS 'mystery', so I won't pursue it with AG support.

But nevertheless, just reporting that setting AG to OFF helped at least me.

Edit: Saw your PM, will report.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Very irritated. Note, Windows 10 will not compute if you have a System Reserved Partition formatted in FAT32 by MICROSOFT ITSELF. Getting Error 0xc1900201

kiOePiV.png

Constantly getting this error. I have yet to experience a normal Windows 10 upgrade via Windows update. There is always something stupid. I have always had to resort to doing the in-place upgrade using the ISO and here I thought this might be the first time where Microsoft gets it right. My jimmies are rustled.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Clean install was flawless. It has never been faster. I was done after 20 min. Too bad that's not what I wanted. I discovered that HP's special FAT System partition is the main culprit. So much for testing compatibility. I decided to clone the partitions I deleted from the clean install and move them to the old installation as well as uninstalling HP's UEFI framework nonsense. I doubt it will work but it's worth a try. The investigation continues.

My conclusion so far is that Microsoft is not good at this at all. I can't believe we have to go through this headache again early next year.

Reactions: frogboy and given

given

Level 2
Verified
Apr 2, 2017
Clean install was flawless. It has never been faster. I was done after 20 min. Too bad that's not what I wanted. I discovered that HP's special FAT System partition is the main culprit. So much for testing compatibility. I decided to clone the partitions I deleted from the clean install and move them to the old installation as well as uninstalling HP's UEFI framework nonsense. I doubt it will work but it's worth a try. The investigation continues.

My conclusion so far is that Microsoft is not good at this at all. I can't believe we have to go through this headache again early next year.
this is exactly problem i had as same as you DeepWep...everytime when i update to Fall Creators Update...i've always have that errors said "system reserved partition":( hope u sorted out and help me to fix it too DeepWeb ;)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
this is exactly problem i had as same as you DeepWep...everytime when i update to Fall Creators Update...i've always have that errors said "system reserved partition":( hope u sorted out and help me to fix it too DeepWeb ;)
Nope. No luck. I tried everything, created fake partitions, imported partitions from a clean install of 1709, nothing works except for one thing. I think I will have to do a backup of the partitions, then do a clean install of 1703 and implant the system partition and maybe that will work.

Reactions: given

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Update: This worked!! The main culprit is the AppCheck Backup folder hiding in System Reserved Partition taking up space. Here is how to get rid of it.

Method: Windows 10 with GPT partition
  1. Right click on the Start button on Powershell then choose Run as administrator. The command prompt window will appear.
  2. Type mountvol y: /s at the command prompt then press Enter. This command will add the Y: drive letter where you can access the System Partition.
  3. Type cd y:, then type ls to list all the folders. One of the folders will be EFI. DO NOT delete obviously. Delete the others unless you dual boot and recognize something important. In my case there was a big AppCheck Backup folder. I deleted it using del +[press TAB to autocomplete] command. I got past the annoying prompt and it just started downloading.

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Update: This worked!! The main culprit is the AppCheck Backup folder hiding in System Reserved Partition taking up space. Here is how to get rid of it.

1. Right click on the Start button on Powershell then choose Run as administrator. The command prompt window will appear.
  2. Type mountvol y: /s at the command prompt then press Enter. This command will add the Y: drive letter where you can access the System Partition.
  3. Type cd y:, then type ls to list all the folders. One of the folders will be EFI. DO NOT delete obviously. Delete the others unless you dual boot and recognize something important. In my case there was a big AppCheck Backup folder. I deleted it using del +[press TAB to autocomplete] command. I got past the annoying prompt and it just started downloading.
Worth reporting to AppCheck devs?

Reactions: given and XhenEd

given

Level 2
Verified
Apr 2, 2017

oh ok thank you bro..(y)

given

Level 2
Verified
Apr 2, 2017
it couldnt work for me though :( tried many times but it couldnt work...:( maybe i dont know how to do it but thanks alot for trying to help me out DeepWeb :)

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
it couldnt work for me though :( tried many times but it couldnt work...:( maybe i dont know how to do it but thanks alot for trying to help me out DeepWeb :)
That's okay. The update installed and it was horrible. All the drivers had been removed and it rebooted into a bootloop. 1709 is very buggy. I say we wait until business branch.

Reactions: given
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.