Troubleshoot Windows 10 Strange Behavior

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Its been app 15-16 months since 1st stable Win 10 released. In this time period, I have faced a strange Win 10 behavior 3 times.

I dont know what triggers the behavior? No Windows Updates were there.

The strange behavior happened 3 times.
2 times - When I restarted the system, I got "Windows is getting ready, Dont turn off your system". The process took app 30-40 mins. After restart, Win 10 was back to default i.e all my data, programs were intact BUT Win 10 layout i.e every options/settings/Win 10 look was back to default i.e like you have just installed Win 10.

3rd time was today - I restarted the system & got "Windows is getting ready, Dont turn off your system". The process took app 30-40 mins. BUT this time, after restart, the system was like it was before the process i.e I dont notice any changes.

Any info on this?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
sounds like it could be something as simple as rebuilding the MBR,
have you tried that ? It could be that that is where the bug is.
If you don't know the MBR commands just google them but resetting
and rebuilding the MBR is easy and safe. I would try it seeing it takes
about 5min to do and see if that clears it up ?

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Its been app 15-16 months since 1st stable Win 10 released. In this time period, I have faced a strange Win 10 behavior 3 times.

I dont know what triggers the behavior? No Windows Updates were there.

The strange behavior happened 3 times.
2 times - When I restarted the system, I got "Windows is getting ready, Dont turn off your system". The process took app 30-40 mins. After restart, Win 10 was back to default i.e all my data, programs were intact BUT Win 10 layout i.e every options/settings/Win 10 look was back to default i.e like you have just installed Win 10.

3rd time was today - I restarted the system & got "Windows is getting ready, Dont turn off your system". The process took app 30-40 mins. BUT this time, after restart, the system was like it was before the process i.e I dont notice any changes.

Any info on this?
This has happened before when I have installed a new AV software,specifically G Data!
I got that message windows is getting ready and it hung like that for quite a while!
Strange indeed,as no updates were pending:confused:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
This has happened before when I have installed a new AV software,specifically G Data!
I got that message windows is getting ready and it hung like that for quite a while!
Strange indeed,as no updates were pending:confused:
Today I installed Adguard Desktop & Windscribe VPN & restarted the system And it happened.

sounds like it could be something as simple as rebuilding the MBR,
have you tried that ? It could be that that is where the bug is.
If you don't know the MBR commands just google them but resetting
and rebuilding the MBR is easy and safe. I would try it seeing it takes
about 5min to do and see if that clears it up ?
I wonder if software like Rollback Rx/AX64 could be the culprit?
Previously I was using Rollback Rx And now I am running AX64 V2. Time to time I check the system with chkdsk & sfc /scannow And everytime both were fine with no errors, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Run CMD in Admin mode and run "sfc /scannow" command to verify and fix any corrupt System Files in Windows. It will be better to perform System File Checker scan in safe mode, and make sure that the PendingDeletes and PendingRenames folders exist under %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp to avoid any fixing issues.

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I wonder if software like Rollback Rx/AX64 could be the culprit?
Previously I was using Rollback Rx And now I am running AX64 V2. Time to time I check the system with chkdsk & sfc /scannow And everytime both were fine with no errors, etc...
ChkDsk wont snoop in the MBR. and very often SFC cant appropriately repair the MBR
but it will break it. the fix MBR commands run when you boot to CMD fix it very well I have
had to do this a few time while dual booting my Linux and it is fast and complete.
But given the possiabilities brother I was just suggesting that as a start point for you.
Good Luck.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
ChkDsk wont snoop in the MBR. and very often SFC cant appropriately repair the MBR
but it will break it. the fix MBR commands run when you boot to CMD fix it very well I have
had to do this a few time while dual booting my Linux and it is fast and complete.
But given the possiabilities brother I was just suggesting that as a start point for you.
Good Luck.
For now, the system looks fine, I will keep in mind the suggestion for next time.

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2017, dont know if its the culprit?
Security Software & Win 10 compatibility have been an issue right from Win 10 release.
I don't think so,but you never know?
I am using the 2017 version without an issue.
Only when I installed GData,did I get that Windows is getting ready!!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok, I checked Event Viewer.
The time it happened, there is an entry at the same time...Yellow exclamation mentioning Warning And details are "A TDI filter (\Driver\adgnetworktdidrv) was detected. This filter has not been certified by Microsoft and may cause system instability."
Guess its related to Adguard Desktop, right? Could be the culprit in todays case?

Upvote 0

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
This is the error I got from event viewer,while installing Gdata,and the "Windows is getting ready" message:
stqntjksoalhonpraozcgbweduqrzwhmxesyngizcauftmyojbuqjxvvontdslwhondwpcksowclvcrefhpegypcidkudqofsgsq

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have both KIS 2017 & Adguard installed and have never experienced these issues therefore I highly doubt it is one of these programs.
If you have Rollback RX installed this might very well be the problem.
There have been issues in the past with Rollback RX and Windows Updates.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.