Azure

Level 24
Verified
Content Creator
Windows 10 will automatically uninstall Windows updates that cause startup failures due to incompatibility or issues in new software according to a support document published by Microsoft today.

Windows updates will be automatically removed when Windows detects that it has recovered from a startup failure after all other "automatic recovery attempts have been unsuccessful."

In addition, as a countermeasure for future issues caused by the uninstalled updates, Windows will also blacklist them from installing during the next 30 days.

Source: Windows 10 to Automatically Remove Updates That Cause Problems

Predrag Radjenovic

Level 2
Verified
I was gonna say exactly this word to word.
Disclaimer: I don't endorse Windows or M$, I actually moved 70% of my work to linux, and boy is my life easier and prettier. Still a noob for advanced linux-fu, though. I speak purely from experience as I use both on a regular basis.

I don't know about you guys and what you do with your machines... But I've had more sh.. stuff happening on Windows 7 than on 10. If I have to do a reinstall of a system with Windows 7, I get a headache in advance... I waited around year and a half to move to 10, but when I did - the setup, the drivers, connectivity, device compatibility - everything worked like a charm. I do hate their new style and forcing this new appearance on everything, but I can't really say I've had THAT much major, work-stopping bugs... Yeah, I'm fed-up with telemetry and monopoly and all that as much as the next guy, but I speak this purely from ease-of-use standpoint - setup, install, optionally block what you need, work. I can't escape the feeling that my w10 setup is faster and snappier than my old w7 setup on the same machine. I do use my company's Enterprise LTSC (or old LTSB before) version though, so that may be the reason...

Threadripper

Level 7
Open-source not-for-profit Linux distros can manage daily and even instant updates for security issues yet a company worth so many billions can't get an update right once a month. Not using code from 1995 might help with that.

Reactions: Vasudev and show-Zi