Windows 10 version 2004 rollout imminent

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018

No, an ASUS Prime Z390A. Actually, I read elsewhere that some were having a lot of problems getting the Realtek drivers now, so I'm gonna stick w/Microsoft's driver for the time being.

I don't know whether it's because Full telemetry is enabled on here or something else unknown but the sound issue is, for the present time, sorted. If it pops up again, I'll try what was suggested elsewhere: use Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, restart, and let Windows reinstall the sound drivers. They're fairly recent--5/2020, according to Device Manager. Haven't tried this method yet, but hopefully it works on Microsoft drivers and removes them. Has anyone tried this yet?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft has finally fixed issues with Windows 10 Optimize Drives tool.
Timeline:
- Flagged by testers in Jan.
- Fixed by Microsoft in Jan.
- Bug slipped into v2004.
- Fixed in Aug/Sept optional patch
- Fix released to everyone today

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 September cumulative updates: What’s fixed and broken:
May 2020 Update (version 2004) status as of September 2020
Windows 10 version 2004 update started rolling out to select consumers on May 27, but it’s still not available for everyone.

With every cumulative update, more blocks are being removed for Windows 10 May 2020 Update.
After applying the September 2020 Update, Microsoft will lift the upgrade block for those who use IME input.

While it’s been a bumpy road for the version 2004, which was released three months ago, most issues are now marked as resolved.

However, in a statement, Microsoft told us that they’re investigating reports of credentials problem in Chrome, Edge, and other apps.
Likewise, another bug that causes ESENT 642 warning is expected to be fixed later this year.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another issue arises for some users:
Not using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) myself, so not an issue for me personally.

L

Local Host

Fix one, break another. But if everything were perfect, where would be fun at that. We would have nothing to complain about, particularly win updates. :D
Considering it's coded by humans, it's impossible to have perfect Software.

Especially when we talking multiple teams of hundreds of people like Windows Development, there bound to be disagreements in the inner circle (among other problems).

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Considering it's coded by humans, it's impossible to have perfect Software.

Especially when we talking multiple teams of hundreds of people like Windows Development, there bound to be disagreements in the inner circle (among other problems).
Also, have you seen this video?

Reactions: Nevi and Jan Willy

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes, we’re again talking about Windows 10, which in recent times has been plagued by an alarming amount of bugs. Windows 10’s September 2020 update, which was released on September 8, comes with an issue that convinced some users to uninstall it immediately.

Earlier this month, some long-standing bugs (including SSD defragger issue), File Explorer bugs, and compatibility issues with some hardware were fixed by the September 2020 patch that Microsoft issued for Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

Unfortunately, Windows 10 KB4571756 didn’t just fix bugs but introduced a new one whereby Windows Subsystem for Linux will fail to launch. In addition, the update also comes with a raft of other ‘small but annoying’ problems, including an issue where the update itself fails to install.
Microsoft is investigating the reports
The Linux issue was first reported a few days back, and now Microsoft is actively investigating this – and presumably the other ramifications caused by the update – but there’s no resolution as yet.

“We are actively investigating. Sorry for the inconvenience – I suggest uninstalling the KB until this is resolved,” Microsoft’s engineer said.
Regarding the installation issues with Windows 10 updates, one way to solve the problem is by using the Media Creation Tool and doing in-place “upgrade this PC now”.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Meanwhile on my country updates and patches not yet rolled out. I will not actively attempt to update. I got latest version on a VM to monitor and test but sadly I cant do a full image clone due to compatibility issues and well, its a VM.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Windows 10 Health Report: September 2020 issues, Defender fiasco, & more:

And some good news:
Windows 10 October 2020 Update is so tiny that it’ll download instantly:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I just installed 20H2 and its great

Great decision, right? Haven't had any Photos app problems since doing this. In fact, no problems to speak of, just a couple of those ESENT 642 "warnings" at start/restart. Supposedly, Microsoft will issue a fix for that soon. No more disk "defrag" issues either, hallelujah.

How did you go about it, did you join the Insiders Beta channel? Edit: Oops, never mind, you posted a link on how it's done. (y)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
By the way, I noticed that after upgrading to 20H2, and restarting it, the window that showed this
1600781884719.png
was gone in the Windows Insider Program section.
It was;t like that fast before with upgrading to Win 10 2004 with Insider Program. It took a while for that window above to get away.
So why for this version it was fast?
Thank you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.