Advice Request Windows 11 beta worth updating now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

should I upgrade to windows 11?

• yes

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • no

Votes: 16 84.2%

• Total voters

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
If you are using Windows 11 as your main operating system then NO. Its a test build which is potentially unstable and insecure.

I would only install Windows 11 on a virtual machine, or an a spare computer.

Even when Windows 11 is officially released, I will be staying with Windows 10 for at least 6 months. There will inevitably be all sorts of bugs plus hardware and software compatibility problems that Microsoft will have to fix once it is rolled out to the wider population. Third parties will need to constantly update their software to keep up with this- some Apps could become unstable or fail to work properly. Therefore I'm waiting for everything to settle down first.

Its the same when Apple release a new version of iOS. The smart thing to do is wait a little while before installing.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I got a big fat yellow "At Risk" tag on my Computer Security Configuration cuz it's an unrelased Windows build and therefore, um, risky.

I don't regret it though. People's experiences will vary of course. My negative experiences were minimal--just some initial weirdness in Windows Security and some unfamiliar Event Viewer errors and warnings that mysteriously left after a while. As an Insider for several years, I was expecting many more problems than I actually got.

It's def. faster than Windows 10. That cannot be denied. The new configurations of the apps and Settings layouts have a little learning curve but they're overall OK, nice even. A few small lags in File Explorer and Start Menu but nothing major.

Only you can judge if it's worth it. Anyone else just has an opinion.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
It's definitely faster overall but conversely, I've seen some lag upon initially opening something like Start Menu or Widgets. Subsequent openings are instantaneous. People have complained of lag and memory leaks in File Explorer but I haven't experienced these issues yet.

No complaints at the moment. But, the Feedback Hub is a good source for issues many might have with it right now.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
'No' if you are looking for stability and peace❌
'Yes' if you can enjoy curiosity and trouble⭕
Curiosity Killed The Cat.

download.jpg

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
'No' if you are looking for stability and peace❌
'Yes' if you can enjoy curiosity and trouble⭕
I wouldn't install it on your main system unless you know what you are doing because Windows 11 still has a a way to go yet for stability for the mainstreams, thats why I use roll-back rx because I have Windows 11 installed on my main system, also at the moment there is no media creation tool for win 11 which makes it more time consuming to recover if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
This, but i doubt many people have alternative system at home wich can pass tpm requirements & even you can bypass it i dont think theres any point as you have to upgrade system whenever youre ready to upgrade permanently
The tpm bypass won't be available when the final version of Windows 11 is released, Microsoft has already stated that they will block people from doing that.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
My experience is similar to plat1098. It doesn't have any serious issues or bugs. It's quite stable and the performance is great too. As she mentioned, there are a few bugs here and there in not-so-important areas and File Explorer is not as smooth as Windows 10's. The last developer build has improved File Explorer's speed but still lags behind Windows 10. I'm using it daily on my main PC. Browsing the web, working, playing games, doing everything on Windows 11 and things are very much fine.
With that said, it's probably still better to wait for the stable build for 99% of the Windows 10 users out there. It's only 2 months away if things goes according to MS's plan.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Basically what @plat1098 and @SeriousHoax said. I have it in two real machines I use every day and both are faster than with Windows 10 and less resource hungry which surprises me in a beta/dev channel version that usually has extra debugging activated by default, for obvious reason.

Still I wouldn't recommend anyone to update now. There are some weird random bugs still around.

peterfat11

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Basically what @plat1098 and @SeriousHoax said. I have it in two real machines I use every day and both are faster than with Windows 10 and less resource hungry which surprises me in a beta/dev channel version that usually has extra debugging activated by default, for obvious reason.

Still I wouldn't recommend anyone to update now. There are some weird random bugs still around.
My experience is similar to plat1098. It doesn't have any serious issues or bugs. It's quite stable and the performance is great too. As she mentioned, there are a few bugs here and there in not-so-important areas and File Explorer is not as smooth as Windows 10's. The last developer build has improved File Explorer's speed but still lags behind Windows 10. I'm using it daily on my main PC. Browsing the web, working, playing games, doing everything on Windows 11 and things are very much fine.
With that said, it's probably still better to wait for the stable build for 99% of the Windows 10 users out there. It's only 2 months away if things goes according to MS's plan.
It's definitely faster overall but conversely, I've seen some lag upon initially opening something like Start Menu or Widgets. Subsequent openings are instantaneous. People have complained of lag and memory leaks in File Explorer but I haven't experienced these issues yet.

No complaints at the moment. But, the Feedback Hub is a good source for issues many might have with it right now.
wow, so ms did make some optimization to windows 11's performance?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.