New Update Windows 11 incorrectly warns Local Security Authority protection is off

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Some users have reported that the Windows Security app is showing “Local Security authority protection is off. Your device may be vulnerable” warnings when the feature is enabled. This bug is in Windows Defender (KB5007651), a mandatory security update shipped alongside Windows 11’s March 2023 Update. Local Security Authority protection is a feature that prevents code injection and reduces the possibility of compromising credentials. The Local Security Authority feature verifies Windows logins, and it is necessary for the OS to function normally.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Nah, nothing wrong with Microsoft products... but look out for TikTok, et al.
A missing registry key (trivial to fix) is not equivalent to a hypothetical threat of the CCP appropriating TikTok.

That's not the real TikTok threat. The real threat is that TikTok makes the world's children, teenagers and adults more stupid, mentally ill and addicted by the day.

Malleable

Level 1
Mar 2, 2021
I received this taskbar icon warning. In my case I think I read it was Core Isolation>Memory Integrity was off or it was on and I turned it off then back on and the warning on my taskbar icon went away. I toggled it on, rebooted numerous times since then, and still see the red "This change requires you to restart your device." notification while it's still on.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I received this taskbar icon warning. In my case I think I read it was Core Isolation>Memory Integrity was off or it was on and I turned it off then back on and the warning on my taskbar icon went away. I toggled it on, rebooted numerous times since then, and still see the red "This change requires you to restart your device." notification while it's still on.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"RunAsPPL"=dword:00000002
"RunAsPPLBoot"=dword:00000002

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Alternatively you can run it with UEFI locked, so RunAsPPLBoot does not matter, because it is secure boot protected:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa" /v "RunAsPPL" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm just gonna leave it b/c acc. to the Bleeping article posted here, if it's toggled to "on" it's "on" regardless of the warning. I toggled it and now I have this silly thing here in spoiler. This drive isn't running very often anyway, just to update software like VoodooShield.

"There is a technical glitch with this feature, if you have successfully turned on this feature and you are being prompted to restart, kindly note that the feature is ON irrespective of the message as this is a technical glitch that we are aware of and we are working to resolve that issue soonest," Microsoft Technical support representative reportedly told one of the affected users.

lsas notice.png

:):coffee:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Alternatively you can run it with UEFI locked, so RunAsPPLBoot does not matter, because it is secure boot protected:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa" /v "RunAsPPL" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
I have mine set to "2" and I have an issue. When I initially applied the above fix in post #6 the LSASS setting was visible and the annoyance was fixed, however now that setting doesn't show in Device Security. Any ideas anyone? Or is this a new bug? :unsure:

Edit: Apparently this is also part of the bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007

a090

Level 2
Mar 26, 2023
I have mine set to "2" and I have an issue. When I initially applied the above fix in post #6 the LSASS setting was visible and the annoyance was fixed, however now that setting doesn't show in Device Security. Any ideas anyone? Or is this a new bug? :unsure:

Are there blue links called Core isolation details and Security processor details in your Device Security tab? If yes, click them and you’ll be taken to another settings page. Sometimes you’ll find LSA protection, Secure Boot, and other miscellaneous Device Security settings hiding inside the either of those blue links.

Another option is to X out of Windows Security and re-open from system tray icon.

This issue has affected me too, but not with LSA. For mine, Secure Boot would behind one of those blue links. Or the Security Processor would disappear and settings would report I had no TPM chip, even though I clearly do (enabled fTPM myself in BIOS) or W11 wouldn’t have installed. Doing what I outlined above usually helped. Try checking the details (blue links) option first, before the X-ing out option.

Nov 1, 2022
A missing registry key (trivial to fix) is not equivalent to a hypothetical threat of the CCP appropriating TikTok.

That's not the real TikTok threat. The real threat is that TikTok makes the world's children, teenagers and adults more stupid, mentally ill and addicted by the day.
I completely agree, but got no clue how to fight this trend other than by not using TikTok myself in the hopes that my kids will follow my example...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Anyone noticed the LSA (Local Security Authority Protection) in Windows Security Center became removed/replaced by Microsoft for a new feature called:
"Kernel-mode Hardware-enforced Stack Protection"

However, to use this feature, a Windows device must be using Intel Tiger Lake CPUs or AMD Zen3 CPUs and later. Therefore, Windows will only display this new setting if the device has the required hardware.

Like Memory Integrity, when enabling Kernel-mode Hardware-enforced Stack Protection, Windows will ensure that no incompatible drivers are loaded in Windows. If there are, the Stack Protection feature will not enable, and Windows will display a list of incompatible drivers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.