New Update Windows 11 optional update (KB5014668) brings Search highlights and tons of fixes

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Following a slightly troublesome Patch Tuesday this month, Microsoft released new optional updates (C-Updates) for all supported versions of Windows 10 and 11. The latter received the biggest number of improvements and, as it now becomes a tradition for Microsoft, several new features.

If you use the initial version of Windows 11, you can download KB5014668 from Windows Update. The update will bump the build number to 22000.778 and add Highlights to Windows Search. This feature will offer you various notable information about today, such as holidays, anniversaries, etc. For corporate customers, Search Highlights provides the latest updates and files.

Other changes in KB5014668 include important fixes for issues, such as the inability to update to Windows 11, reconnect to Bluetooth devices, play games that rely on specific audio technologies, or access the Surface Dial settings.
You can download KB5014668 from Windows Update or manually from the Windows Update Catalog using this link. Remember that this update is optional, so you are not obliged to install it immediately. Microsoft will include all the critical fixes from today's non-security updates in the next month's mandatory Patch Tuesday release.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

What's new in today's Windows update​

After installing the KB5014668 cumulative update preview, your Windows 11 installation will change the build number to 22000.778.

The Windows 11 update preview includes even more quality improvements and fixes, including:
  • Search highlights that will roll out to Windows 11 customers over the next several weeks
  • Adds support for Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 in Windows client and server Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) implementations.
  • Addresses an issue that fails to hide the Windows Sandbox startup screen after Sandbox starts to run.
  • Addresses an issue that causes Microsoft NTLM authentication using an external trust to fail.
  • Updates the Start menu to display Windows PowerShell when you right-click (Win + X) the Start button after uninstalling Windows Terminal.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does anyone install these optional updates? What's the advantage? Or wait for the definitive updates?
Real advantage would be only in case of issues, when the latest regular Windows cumulative updates causing major issues for your machine, then optional preview updates like that may helps to fix earlier, you wouldn't need longer waiting until next month Windows Patchday.
Of course, a full system backup always resolves any issues, so just went back to the point before installing Windows cumulative updates.

Shivam_1

Jul 2, 2022
Don't install it. Its a nightmare. Almost crashed my hard disk.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

KB5014668: Fix for Windows 11 OS upgrade fail is ironically itself failing to install​

However, quite ironically, it looks like the KB5014668 update itself is actually failing to install on quite few PCs as user reports are pouring in throughout the internet, indicating that there is likely an issue related to the servicing of this build.

Here is an image of the Feedback Hub which shows several people are quite unhappy with this release as it is facing installation issues:

User feedback on KB5014668 is mostly negative on Feedback Hub

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Microsoft confirms Windows 11 Start menu fails to start, issues workaround​

Earlier today, Microsoft issued an advisory regarding a problem that is causing the Start menu on certain Windows 11 PCs to not open. The company has determined that the KB5014668 update (Build 22000.778) and newer releases are affected. It writes:
After installing KB5014668 or later updates, we have received reports that a small number of devices might be unable to open the Start menu. On affected devices, clicking or selecting the Start button, or using the Windows key on your keyboard might have no effect.

The company has issued the following workaround as it has advised individuals and organizations to perform a Known Issue Rollback (KIR).
Resolution: This issue is resolved using Known Issue Rollback (KIR). Please note that it might take up to 24 hours for the resolution to propagate automatically to consumer devices and non-managed business devices. Restarting your Windows device might help the resolution apply to your device faster. For enterprise-managed devices that have installed an affected update and encountered this issue can resolve it by installing and configuring a special Group Policy. The special Group Policy can be found in Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> KB5014668 220721_04201 Known Issue Rollback -> Windows 11 (original release). For information on deploying and configuring these special Group Policy, please see How to use Group Policy to deploy a Known Issue Rollback.

Group Policy downloads with Group Policy name:
Download for Windows 11, version 21H2 - KB5014668 220721_04201 Known Issue Rollback

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Microsoft confirms Windows 11 Start menu fails to start, issues workaround​

Is there any info available on whether tools like O&O Shutup10 causes any issue with these Known Issue Rollback deployment?
Previously, an optional update broke something related to Dotnet framework. Microsoft released KIR for that issue as well, and some users here on MT still had the issue, including myself, so it seemed to me that KIR wasn't deployed on these devices. I think all of them use O&O Shutup10 to disable privacy and telemetry related stuff.
If I remember correctly @blackice didn't have the issue even though he installed the optional update. I don't know if you use O&O shutup10. I don't see it in your config profile. So, I'm curious :unsure:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Is there any info available on whether tools like O&O Shutup10 causes any issue with these Known Issue Rollback deployment?
Previously, an optional update broke something related to Dotnet framework. Microsoft released KIR for that issue as well, and some users here on MT still had the issue, including myself, so it seemed to me that KIR wasn't deployed on these devices. I think all of them use O&O Shutup10 to disable privacy and telemetry related stuff.
If I remember correctly @blackice didn't have the issue even though he installed the optional update. I don't know if you use O&O shutup10. I don't see it in your config profile. So, I'm curious :unsure:
The setting in question is "Disable Windows dynamic configuration and update rollouts" and is not in the recommended settings (anymore) in the latest version of O&O ShutUp 10:
1658602744064.png
That was fixed in version 1.9.1425 – released October 12, 2021.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Microsoft confirms Windows 11 Start menu fails to start, issues workaround

Apparently there is a fix for this now. The report says a "small" subset of users was affected. I didn't have this issue either in the Insiders beta builds.

Microsoft has addressed a known issue that was causing the start menu on some Windows 11 to malfunction after installing recent updates.

This known issue affects only devices running Windows 11, version 21H2, and it was acknowledged on Friday after Redmond received customer reports of start menu issues affecting some systems.

"A small number of devices are unable to open the Start menu after installing updates released June 23, 2022 or later," the company explained in a recent update on the Windows health dashboard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.