Advice Request Windows 7 privacy and spying - help removing updates

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of privacy.
I don't have anything to hide in particular, but if this goes on soon we'll all have probes up our buts to monitor the gas quality we produce.

In light of this I'd like to know how I can reclaim some privacy back in Windows 7 SP1.
I know there are a few updates they launched for telemetry and God knows what else.
Are there are programs to automatically remove them, which are safe and don't install a trojan/malware/etc in the PC instead (one of the normal types, anyway :D)?

Alternatively I could uninstall them 1 by 1, but I'd have to know which updates are the correct one to uninstall.

I just did a clean fresh Windows 7 install so I think now is the time to tinker around.

Thanks!

W

Wave

There's nothing you can do, how do you know they can't spy on you from without having any additional updates installed, without reversing the entirety of the OS? You don't.

If you're scared of them stealing your Skype chat log with your girlfriend and spreading it round on a lunch break while laughing, nothing like that will happen.

If you want complete privacy, then the best thing you can do is just disconnect your internet router and that's the overall truth... Even when you are accessing websites people can see your IP address if you're not using a Virtual Private Network, and then they can trace you back to your location (roughly).

Reactions: Vasudev

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Does it do anything on Windows 7, which is the one I have?
Oops :D

Good point !

- Bad point for me, have not seen this important info when I copy-paste the link, that was modified by the MT editor with 'O&O ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10' : shame on me :oops:
Code:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/rn/shutup10
I have looked for a Windows 7 version on their webpage, but not found.

Last edited:

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Oops :D

Good point !

-Bad point for me, have not seen this important info when I copy-paste the link, that was modified by the MT editor with 'O&O ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10' : shame on me :oops:
Code:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/rn/shutup10
I have looked at a Windows 7 version on their webpage, but not found.
That's cool, thanks for trying to help anyway ;)

Reactions: DardiM
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

While i understand and respect your point of view, i think privacy and internet simply does not go along.

The concept itself of internet is incompatible with the idea of privacy. As long as you're connected, it's all about shared data. Sure you can limit how you are being spied on, but the best is still to keep your real private informations offline and considered that anything done online isn't really secured.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
While i understand and respect your point of view, i think privacy and internet simply does not go along.

The concept itself of internet is incompatible with the idea of privacy. As long as you're connected, it's all about shared data. Sure you can limit how you are being spied on, but the best is still to keep your real private informations offline and considered that anything done online isn't really secured.
For me it's not so much online, it's the right Microsoft decided to have to take any file from my computer at will.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
That's a good question, I don't know...if I have this active should I disable it?

I'll have a look thanks!

I was also reading about this "Destroy Windows 7/8.1/10 Spying Final Release", is it any good?
It's the Kaspersky Security Network
What is Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)

Regarding,
> should I disable it?
Depends on what you want to do. Personally, I wouldn't.

You don't trust Microsoft isn't going to get your files and other potentially identifiable information, but do you trust Kaspersky?

Reactions: SpectacularTheDude

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
"Anti-Spy" tools aimed at Windows 7, 8 and 10 can lead to other problems, as seen with most Windows 10 troubleshooting issues.

Use with caution:
Thanks I'll have a look ;)

It's the Kaspersky Security Network
What is Kaspersky Security Network (KSN)

Regarding,
> should I disable it?
Depends on what you want to do. Personally, I wouldn't.

You don't trust Microsoft isn't going to get your files and other potentially identifiable information, but do you trust Kaspersky?
I'll most likely disable it now.

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
Just found this and made me think twice.
I guess it's mainly for Windows 10, not 7, and for OneDrive. Assuming I understood it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.