Advice Request Windows 7 Pro 32bit Product Key error

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Wanted to use a product key to activate the Windows 7 ISO file download, but it says this,

Error

We encountered a problem with the product key you provided. Please try again or visit the Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance.

I know I typed the key correct, but not sure why it failed? Do I need to be on the computer "with the key" before I click Verify?

I have corrupt W7 files I cannot repair (especially windows update and windsock etc)and have tried different fixes for hours two days ago,... even tried Tweaked.com, repair, sfc /scannow (6 times) I do have an "Image backup" on DVD's, but not sure if it contains errors or not.

Should I try the backup, I never used an Image before, what if that fails?

What should I do/try next? Would like a working windows and windows update lol. All I need is a repair... and I don't have a disc, obviously. Laptop bought used...

L

LabZero

The fact that the Product Key cannot be used on another Windows 7 installation (ISO) is perfectly normal: If it is an OEM license, Product Key is constrained to that configuration and cannot be used to activate another Windows installation.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
The fact that the Product Key cannot be used on another Windows 7 installation (ISO) is perfectly normal: If it is an OEM license, Product Key is constrained to that configuration and cannot be used to activate another Windows installation.

It is a OEM license. So to clean install is not possible ? It is the same computer... which the key is from, which i attepmt to get product key, but its the OEM which is preventing?

Installed from 'OEM'

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015

I'm not really sure what you mean my configuration so I'd though I'd tap in for a moment. I've noticed that any HP OEM key that I have worked with any HP desktop in my house. Each have different motherboards and hardware. Each manufactured several years apart from another.

Whether or not (for example) a Dell OEM key could be used between Dell desktops, I do not know. For all I know it is HP specific benefit. It is clear that Dell OEM key can't be used on an HP, Lenovo, etc desktop/laptop. It seems the key is tied with the motherboard itself.

For reference I have 3 HP OEM Windows 7 keys and they are interchangeable between HP computers. I have 1 HP OEM Windows 8 key which are also interchangeable.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
If you are having problems with windows corruption and want an ISO for repairs, I have one untouched, let me knows if you want it.(Win 7 Ultimate x86 SP1)

For problems with windows installations here are a few of the methods I would try :

Windows Updates fail to install in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

My order of preference would be running the :

1)Windows update troubleshooter

2)System readiness update tool (SURT)

3)Flushing the Software Distribution Folder

4) Using the catroot method.

These generally solve problems with the bulk windows update.There are other methods also, but lets have you try these first.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
If you are having problems with windows corruption and want an ISO for repairs, I have one untouched, let me knows if you want it.(Win 7 Ultimate x86 SP1)

For problems with windows installations here are a few of the methods I would try :

Windows Updates fail to install in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

My order of preference would be running the :

1)Windows update troubleshooter

2)System readiness update tool (SURT)

3)Flushing the Software Distribution Folder

4) Using the catroot method.

These generally solve problems with the bulk windows update.There are other methods also, but lets have you try these first.

1. ran it said 3 fixed, and 1 problem error.. tried 3 fixes for the one error didn't work.
2. Readiness tool, failed to install... (hangs on install bar)
3. SD folder deleted and no difference.

Updates freeze and the download folder doesnt put any files into it. scans broke, windsocks error.

Yes for repairs I'd like help as sfc scannow doesnt work either... over 5 runs at that alone. I tried it all lol :p

even tried to fix this,
regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
For software distribution folder method you have to wait for 2-3 hours before windows finally rebuilds your windows update from scratch and you need to flush it, not delete it entirely.It's a method that I have used successfully over years but requires some time.

If you are looking for a repair ISO PM me for the link. Does your windows say it's SP1 now, I mean SP1 is installed by now I am guessing.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
For software distribution folder method you have to wait for 2-3 hours before windows finally rebuilds your windows update from scratch and you need to flush it, not delete it entirely.It's a method that I have used successfully over years but requires some time.

A problem seems to take place after the folder rebuilds the data store etc... it goes on freeze mode 22 mins later (after date store rebuilds to 499MB), and even the defragmenter wont run if this windows update gets to 100% CPU, yet internet works fine.

I left WU to scan for 2-3 hours and no changes or finding.. nothing enters the SD "Download" folder... very odd!

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I wonder if you actually scanned your win installation for viruses before attempting any sort of fixes...

Oh noooo! No viruses on my drives :)

Lets put it this way, ...the malwares have to scan themself to be sure their safe from me, but yeah I did scan and its 0 threats ;)

The problem will be solved soon though I'm sure.

It's a learning process... this is my new lessons here. Image files, ISO and installations.... normally I never had to deal with backups, because both my desktops had recovery partition and even backup recovery on disc etc. So when something went wrong I just used the recovery method.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Oh noooo! No viruses on my drives :)

Lets put it this way, ...the malwares have to scan themself to be sure their safe from me, but yeah I did scan and its 0 threats ;)

The problem will be solved soon though I'm sure.

It's a learning process... this is my new lessons here. Image files, ISO and installations.... normally I never had to deal with backups, because both my desktops had recovery partition and even backup recovery on disc etc. So when something went wrong I just used the recovery method.

Well I don't claim to be a pro either but there is certain things that you need to follow before any attempts are made to fix a corrupted OS... :p:D

Did you download an iso installation media yet? If so we can proceed... ;)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Well I don't claim to be a pro either but there is certain things that you need to follow before any attempts are made to fix a corrupted OS... :p:D

Did you download an iso installation media yet? If so we can proceed... ;)

Yeah I do know some, I did scan for malware, which I always do if something seems off or strange,... the updates themself worked great until some updates just failed and been downhill since that.

The ISO is Ultimate version, I don't know if repairs would work from this version, but I accept it happily ... :) ... I can upgrade to 10 from 7 or something, and I did make an Image (before using WU) I'm avoiding, but I shouldn't worry... DVD's burned successful, so if I go that route, it could bring me to a more stable 7 Pro (depending if its stable when Image was created)

I have lots of options to consider.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Yeah I do know some, I did scan for malware, which I always do if something seems off or strange,... the updates themself worked great until some updates just failed and been downhill since that.

The ISO is Ultimate version, I don't know if repairs would work from this version, but I accept it happily ... :) ... I can upgrade to 10 from 7 or something, and I did make an Image (before using WU) I'm avoiding, but I shouldn't worry... DVD's burned successful, so if I go that route, it could bring me to a more stable 7 Pro (depending if its stable when Image was created)

I have lots of options to consider.

Anyhow decide on what you want to do and tell me...
If you want to upgrade to windows 10, here is a very useful and helpful tip: How to upgrade from W7/8.1 without going through the complete upgrade process

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.