Troubleshoot Windows 7 : Taskbar Internet Connection Icon Issue

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Hello friends! :)
Today i noticed some strange behaviour on my PC, and i wanted to post here so someone can help me.

First, i'm running Win7 SP1, i'm on a laptop, and the problem happens both on ethernet and wireless connection.

As you can see from the attached pics, my connection icon in the taskbar is 'red-crossed' as I'm not connected, but in fact I am. o_O
This would not be a problem because i can surf without any issues, but I can't manage my connection properties. :mad:

PS.
On 07/20 i installed Avira Free, but it was a resource hog (strange o_O) and i removed it in less than an hour.
Then, on the same day, I installed Avast! Free.
I noticed this problem on 07/21.
When i saw this strange behaviour i just removed avast! to see if it was the cause, but uneffectively.

Any help would be kindly appreciated! :)
Thank you in advance! ;)

_____________​

Wired connection
11t1hyf.png

_______________​

Wireless connection
2zqcsr6.png

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
1. Did you try to open up command prompt and try to ping to a server?
2. Press Windows Key + X and check if connected
3. Please tell me any programs that may use the internet

Cheers, Chromatinfish :D

Reactions: vrb93
Upvote 0

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
1. ping malwaretips.com -> no loss :)
2. I see no connections box or reminder on wired mode into Windows Mobility Center, but on wireless i'm succesfully connected, and there's the option to turn wireless off :)
3. Only spotifywebhelper process is always active about internet usage, but it has never been a problem. (do you want me to list every software that might connect to internet? ;))

I ran ipconfig /renew, no changes. Here's the results
2z4byb6.png

Upvote 0

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
1. ping malwaretips.com -> no loss :)
2. I see no connections box or reminder on wired mode into Windows Mobility Center, but on wireless i'm succesfully connected, and there's the option to turn wireless off :)
3. Only spotifywebhelper process is always active about internet usage, but it has never been a problem. (do you want me to list every software that might connect to internet? ;))

I ran ipconfig /renew, no changes. Here's the results
2z4byb6.png
Can you show your action center to me or tell me what is on or what is off?
Also, about the connections place, did you just white out that place or is there really no connection?

Upvote 0

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Action Center features are all disabled, but enabling them all them shows no issues detected. I tried troubleshooting but no solutions.

____​

33u5u93.png

On wireless
2hppsi0.png

____
If you need other infos just tell me, i appreciate your help :)

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123
Upvote 0

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I show you mobility center screens 'cause i didn't in the previous post :p

Anyway, Action Center shows "no current issues detected" as i stated above, even with all features enabled :(
I keep them disabled because they're very annoying, especially Windows Defender reminder ;)

Edit: i tried to rebuild icon cache, hoping that worked, but no luck this way.

Edit2: tried to remove wireless connection from network and sharing center
First tentative to connect (wireless) failed, although password was correct.
Then i rebooted my router and i could reconnect, but the icon problem is still present.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.