Windows 7 users report issues installing Microsoft update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
Said who? MS? sure they want you to believe that it's a high risk and very DANGEROUS not to update, do you know why?
Money. if you won't be afraid you won't buy. I know many XP users that want to stay with XP but have a fear that its dangerous when it's not that bad.
I worked on an IT for a year and you won't believe how many problem updates can do. and it slow the pc when installing. I uselessly update once when install and done for at least a year

cheers
Uhm,how they make money with security updates when u get them for free? I dont get ur poin,sorry.

Reactions: nissimezra
D

Deleted member 21043

Said who? MS? sure they want you to believe that it's a high risk and very DANGEROUS not to update, do you know why?
Money. if you won't be afraid you won't buy. I know many XP users that want to stay with XP but have a fear that its dangerous when it's not that bad.
I worked on an IT for a year and you won't believe how many problem updates can do. and it slow the pc when installing. I uselessly update once when install and done for at least a year

cheers
As an additional to my previous reply:

If XP users wanted to stay on XP, they could. Just yes, the downside does result in fearing that it could be potentially unsafe. This is because, support was ended. Meaning, if a malware writer finds a vulnerability in the OS, bad luck for the users of XP if they manage to accidentally execute this sample which uses this vulnerability in the OS (an exploit). The good thing for the malware writer, is that they will know Microsoft stopped supporting the OS with updates. Meaning, they are now out of fear of wondering how many users they will miss out on because they know that everyone who comes across their work and executes it may be a successful target with a higher chance than before, since Microsoft won't be there to be the hero and patch up their exploit.

It may not be that bad, then again, it may be. If the user is someone who visits a lot of suspicious/new websites, downloads a lot on a regular basis (especially new things they have not used before), and do not have too much knowledge but just use their PC for everyday things (this may include writing documents for work even though it's a personal laptop) and they encounter a bad download (let's say it's malware and is designed to target XP users though a new vulnerability the developer found). They execute it, and now they have some issues.

Cheers. ;)

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014

cheers
Well with windows 7 there is no problem. I always keep windows updated and only once it was a faulty update, but windows automatically restored to a restore point created before updating and it was all fine, no problem. SO you don't have to worry about faulty updates on windows 7 and 8 too

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
Over the years Microsoft has managed to break computers with updates, though not intentionally of course. However, it's generally wise to wait just a bit after Patch Tuesday and keep an eye out for reports of any problems that other customers are experiencing. It's generally safe, but you can never be too cautious.

Well said. I wait a few days and read up on potential issues. Then I image my system before installing the updates... just in case.

Now those who have stayed behind, clinging to Windows 7, seem to be on the receiving end of just such an incident. If users of the TechNet forums are to be believed, and there's no reason to suspect otherwise, then KB3033929 could wreak a bit of havoc with Windows 7 systems.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting discussion

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Uhm,how they make money with security updates when u get them for free? I dont get ur poin,sorry.
ohhhh boy
if you have XP you no longer receive updates so you'll need to BUY crappy windows 8 that will kill your computer then you'll will receive the updates if you pc stays a live. use a little bit of you your brain.

Well with windows 7 there is no problem. I always keep windows updated and only once it was a faulty update, but windows automatically restored to a restore point created before updating and it was all fine, no problem. SO you don't have to worry about faulty updates on windows 7 and 8 too
yes there is. well not a lot but when you have 150 users with 220 computers it is a problem coz they always come to the IT to fix

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I bet they have restore points disabled...
yehhhhh
system restore solve the problem until windows find out and re-download the update.
I had a problem on windows 7; 2 screens, once you update one screen stop working, sure its good to have sys restore but again the update comes back and again sys restore until hiding it.
isn't it better just to disable the updates? less headache.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
yehhhhh
system restore solve the problem until windows find out and re-download the update.
I had a problem on windows 7; 2 screens, once you update on screen start workin, sure its good to have sys restore but again the update comes back and again sys restore until hiding it.
Select the option download the updates but let me choose when to install them

Reactions: Oxygen
D

Deleted member 21043

ohhhh boy
if you have XP you no longer receive updates so you'll need to BUY crappy windows 8 that will kill your computer then you'll will receive the updates if you pc stays a live. use a little bit of you your brain.

yes there is. well not a lot but when you have 150 users with 220 computers it is a problem coz they always come to the IT to fix
'use a little bit of you your brain' - If the member did not understand or wrote something incorrect, you can correct him without saying this to him.

If you no longer receive updates to a Operating System, in which Microsoft no longer want to spend time developing on, you have the option to decide to move onto the newer Operating System releases of the Windows OS which will allow you to have the access to latest updates to that OS, also covering security patches. Or, the other option, is to stay on Windows XP, not receive security patches (and/or other updates) and have more of a chance for a malware writer to find and use a vulnerability on your system.

Of course, even with Windows 8 updates, a malware writer can find an exploit, and use it. Then, this code may be shared on bad forums which promote development of malware, and used by other malware writers in their malware samples. Over time, the malware is spread. If the user happens to be the unlucky one, this exploit may be used on his system if he opens it. However, the advantage to users running a newer OS like Windows 8, is Microsoft will make patches to protect users from this vulnerability in the OS. Whereas, if this happened on XP, the users may run out of luck with aid from Microsoft.

As a Windows 8 user, I can tell you that it is not all that bad (in my opinion), however it's different and may take some getting used too. Of course, everyone is different. If you really do not agree with Windows 8 (and the upcoming Windows 10), you could try looking at Linux and using WINE to run some Windows-based programs or using OS X.

Windows 8 may not be good in your opinion, however this does not mean it is NOT good. Some like it, some don't.

Cheers. ;)

D

Deleted member 21043

they always come to the IT to fix
If someone works in IT, then that is their job (to fix a issue which needs solving from the person responsible to fix the issues if they have the knowledge).

yehhhhh
I had a problem on windows 7; 2 screens, once you update one screen stop working, sure its good to have sys restore but again the update comes back and again sys restore until hiding it.
You can set Windows to check for updates, however, not download nor install them.
Or, as @Dani Santos suggested, allow Windows to download however not automatically install the updates.

Then, you can wait a few days to check for any reports of a fault update, before proceeding to allow Windows to install the update.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Oxygen

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
ohhhh boy

Why would one want to stay with Windows XP when Windows 8.1 has so many improvements over XP? Also you don't have to buy Windows 8.1 when Linux is completely free, I'm talking about Linux because you don't want to buy a new OS.

Now you're saying Windows 8 will kill your computer? I've had mine since 2012, updated it to Windows 8.1. It's still alive for me and working well.

Windows Update has a option to download updates, but not install them until the user has confirmed it to install selected updates.

"Use a little bit of your brain" - You don't need to use that kind of reply to any user on here, they probably don't know everything about computers, but please never use a reply like that again.

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Why would one want to stay with Windows XP when Windows 8.1 has so many improvements over XP? I hope you do know you don't have to buy Windows 8.1 when you could easily get linux? I'm talking about linux because you don't seem to want to buy a new OS.

Now you're saying Windows 8 will kill your computer? I've had mine since 2012, updated it to Windows 8.1. It's still alive for me and working well.

"Use a little bit of your brain" - You don't need to use that kind of reply to any user on here, they probably don't know everything about computers, but please never use a reply like that again.
I accept and sorry, when I do something wrong at least I take the responsibility.
hmmmmm do you think windows 8 will work on dell 6000
or
OptiPlex GX280 or GX270 or ......
the list is to long

just dont tell me its old coz I already know, and please dont tell me to buy a new one coz I dont have money. ha and dont tell me to use linux

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I accept and sorry, when I do something wrong at least I take the responsibility.
or
the list is to long

just dont tell me its old coz I already know, and please dont tell me to buy a new one coz I dont have money. ha and dont tell me to use linux

You could check out these pages

Linux was only suggest as you said you didn't want to pay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21043

or
the list is to long

The Windows 8 minimum requirements:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard drive space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant Tool can create a quick check-up of your system and see if it is able to run the Windows 8 Operating System, and find any software installed or device drivers which may not be compatible/will not work on Windows 8.

You can download it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=321548

Cheers. ;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
The Windows 8 minimum requirements:
  • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard drive space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant Tool can create a quick check-up of your system and see if it is able to run the Windows 8 Operating System, and find any software installed or device drivers which may not be compatible/will not work on Windows 8.

You can download it here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=321548

Cheers. ;)
I dont need to check, there are people that dont have the money to buy.
and thats not relevant coz it will not work. even that MS say yes it wont work you cant run vista 7 or 8 with only 1 gig of ram forget it

sorry guys but try to think a little bit out of the box of security there are other matters and different needs

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
To sort it out, we all know that Microsoft did everything they do for providing support and enhancement cause that's the quality of an OS. Same goes from concept for software and others, mistakes may do happen and undergoing patch like this will be tested before releasing it.

Yes its true that waiting as much as possible to check for any problem and issues arises also very unpredictable.

Of course there's no problem for not updating it so that to prevent any issues, but also considering its a development and maintanance patches to make it better.

AV too tends to update signatures and a risk may happen when a bad execution occurred and produced FP rates.

Be vigilant and always up to date for news.

Reactions: nissimezra

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Had a scare yesterday. Read this thread before installed the updates. Computer restarted about 3 or 4 times while installing the updates. I later remembered this thread & how some people were having issues. Anyway, updated installed just fine. All's well that ends well I suppose :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.