Solved Windows 8.1 crash (PFN_LIST_CORRUPT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Today this morning, I am getting recurrent crashes on my Windows 8.1-64 Bit.

1. I Booted into safe mode and ran whocrashedsetup.exe http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed and it gave me following information which i have attached here as "crash dump (1)" and "crash dump (2)" Image files.There have been more than 10 instances of crash but i have attached only two images (Other crash details are same as these two)
  2. I have also attached a screenshot of services that load at start up (Please see services.PNG). This screenshot i captured in safe mode. (so all services are shown as stopped, but under normal boot all are enabled).
  3. Also i ran Driver Verifier, but no information regarding any faulty driver (no unsigned driver was found by Windows)
  4. Then tried System Restore (created two days ago). Though the Windows said "System restore not successful" but on restart, Windows notified me that "System Restore Successful.Your system was ...". Quite strange. :confused:. But it's been more than half hour, and no crash yet..I will post back on this.
  5. I think the culprit is Kaspersky Inetrnet security-2014. but i am not sure (i think uninstalling it might solve the problem).:confused:
  6. Have not run Memtest. (I will do it overnight and report back)
That's a lot to read. Please be patient to read it. :D

should i uninstall KIS if i get another crash?

Any help regarding this?

Attachments

• crash dump (1).PNG
    crash dump (1).PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,119
  • crash dump (2).PNG
    crash dump (2).PNG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • services (1).PNG
    services (1).PNG
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • services (2).PNG
    services (2).PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 849
Last edited:

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
OK, system restore worked and No crash so far, but following changes occurred : (and I have not uninstalled KIS yet.)
  1. Normal start up changed to selective start up, and if i choose Normal Start up then Windows automatically make it selective on next boot.
  2. File Explorer keeps on loading and finally does not show up. (green bar keeps running on address bar)
  3. icons, shortcuts, file extensions do not show properly. (blank white)
Ok I uninstalled KIS, still above mentioned three problems persists.So i guess KIS was not the problem.

I am thinking about a fresh reinstall or running a memtest (never used memtest before and people say that it took a lot of time to complete memtest)..so i think it a fresh reinstall would be a apt choice for me.
:confused:

Upvote 0

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
most probably old driver is the problem. Install new device driver.
i am using kaspersky trial . there is no crash occurring here.

Upvote 0

innocent odega

May 11, 2015
the best way to resolved this without going thru restore and the rest is to boot the system in safe mode and in the admin command prompt type verifier/reset

It will resolve the blue screen

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.