Advice Request Windows 8.1 released!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Microsoft has released the Windows 8.1 update for its flagship operating system.

The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.

In particular, the update restores the start button and allows a computer to boot up with a traditional desktop interface.

The launch comes at a critical time for Microsoft as it seeks a new boss, with PC sales experiencing a long decline.

Windows 8 sought to bridge the gap between touchscreen devices, such as tablets and smartphones, and more traditional form laptops and desktop machines. As such it had an interface built of tiles that could be tapped or swiped to open applications.

However, many people found the tiled interface did not work well for some of the things they were used to doing with a computer.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
Additional reading: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available-to-download/

Official page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
im having problems with new laptop its not installing windows updates you need this one to get windows 8.1 in the store Kb2750773 i need some help help here

maybe just screw it and go with classic shell to get the start menu and start button back

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you upgrading from Windows 8?

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
yes its new laptop just got it tuesday i did windows update and only 26 or 28 updates were done but 38 updates failed

I

illumination

rebel4life said:
yes its new laptop just got it tuesday i did windows update and only 26 or 28 updates were done but 38 updates failed

Microsoft updater has bad habit of jamming updates in out of sequence, causing them to fail, try running them again, if it fails again, look for the first couple that failed, and manually untick them and run the rest.. then install those last..

As for the title of this thread, I just finished upgrading from windows 8 myself, I did a refresh of my machine before doing so, and it is running smoothly. I have to say to Microsoft, nice job! This is how windows 8 should have been in the first place!

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
first time trying it took close to 2 hours and then it tells me i cant update to 8.1 i think this is BS you need to buy this update

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Backup your data. Refresh or Reset your PC to stock Windows 8, do not install any other software, then upgrade to Windows 8.1. -- as illumination has done.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I have been downloading 8.1 for 3 hours now on my laptop and not even half way done yet. I wished there was another way of downloading it with a download manager instead of having to use Windows Store.

I guess Microsoft servers are over loaded with traffic.

Thanks. :D

rebel4life

Level 9
Verified
Sep 30, 2012
thanks guys but im taking this baby back its having problems and errors all over the place and i think i need a CD/DVD burner because it has none its a acer going back to get an HP had no problems with HP products in the past

tapoo

Level 4
Verified
Jan 21, 2012
SoftPedia review of Windows 8.1
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-8-1-Review-391900.shtml

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi

Two more PC's to go! HP Laptop, when well with only a couple of problems.

> Comodo Firewall would not work with Windows 8.1
> Try to uninstall Comodo Firewall and will not completely uninstall.
> Used Your Uninstall Pro! From the start!
> Kingsoft Antivirus did not have protection/disable, so I uninstall completely.
> Also, did not see any start menu in lower left hand bottom side like Windows 7?

Two more to go a Sony PC and a Samsung PC. Hopefully their will be no more problems.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I'm still not seeing any direct download links for the final ISO. Where can I download the final Pro ISO file? Also can it be activated with Windows 8 Pro key?

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
nishadrox said:
I'm still not seeing any direct download links for the final ISO. Where can I download the final Pro ISO file? Also can it be activated with Windows 8 Pro key?

From windows store on windows 8...

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Moose said:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

Hope this help!

I want the final ISO file for Pro edition mate. All these links either make me install Upgrade Assistant or buy it. I'm using Windows 7 and I want to do a clean install.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You'll need a new License key for Windows 8.1, if you're installing from a clean slate. Because I tried my Windows 8 key on Windows 8.1 but wasn't allowed.

If you have a Windows 8 ISO, install and then proceed to upgrade to Windows 8.1 = Free upgrade.

nishadrox said:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
After 6 long hours I finally got 8.1 installed on my laptop, so far no problems at all. I'm just using Windows default security features, most users that experienced problems were using third-party security products, so if you are going to install 8.1 it is recommended to uninstall all third-party security products first then reinstall them after the 8.1 upgrade.

If you already have a licensed OEM version of Windows only upgrade from Windows Store or your Windows will have to be activated again with a new key.

I have seen some torrents for Windows 8.1 but they are more likely cracks and not officially from Microsoft, may even have rootkits or other unknown malware that is not detected. Some could just be pre-releases that are not stable or mislabeled torrents. I would not trust them if you already have genuine version of Windows.

Some user commits on other sites had bad experiences with using these ISO files download with torrents. A lot of them just didn't want to wait to get 8.1 from Windows Store because it is so slow downloading and tried to get 8.1 faster. I do agree that Microsoft needs to do something about the slow downloading speed from their store that is on a high speed cable connection, I could have completely installed several Windows OS from scratch in the time it took to download 8.1.

Thanks. :D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Update download took a long time last night on my laptop....at least 2+ hours.Installed without a hitch.
This am updated desktop and the download was much faster only about 20 mins.Once again no problems with install.
I was running ESS 6 on both versions of windows 8 and update installed no problem,following 8.1 upgrade I installed ESS 7.ESS 7 running just fine without problems or conflict on Windows 8.1.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

Follow-up, from early today.

> Comodo Firewall would not work with Windows 8.1
> Try to uninstall Comodo Firewall and will not completely uninstall.
> Used Your Uninstall Pro! From the start!
> Kingsoft Antivirus did not have protection/disable, so I uninstall completely.

The Sony PC was a real headache the bsod keep shutting down. And the Samsung PC had back-up problems?

What is the best way to back-up Windows 8.1.

A. > Create a system image in case the PC will not boot? T
B. > And then back-up with a the entire C:/ Drive with a
software like RecImg Manager?
I would like to know if there is a better to do the above? If the
PC will not start?

Thanks!

Moose

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.