Advice Request Windows 8.1 released!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Microsoft has released the Windows 8.1 update for its flagship operating system.

The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.

In particular, the update restores the start button and allows a computer to boot up with a traditional desktop interface.

The launch comes at a critical time for Microsoft as it seeks a new boss, with PC sales experiencing a long decline.

Windows 8 sought to bridge the gap between touchscreen devices, such as tablets and smartphones, and more traditional form laptops and desktop machines. As such it had an interface built of tiles that could be tapped or swiped to open applications.

However, many people found the tiled interface did not work well for some of the things they were used to doing with a computer.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
Additional reading: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available-to-download/

Official page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have a question

I've installed windows 8.1 and noticed little down pointing arrows in the right hand corner of apps on the start screen has anyone else seen this and what does it mean?

Attachments

• Canberra-20131019-00025.jpg
    Canberra-20131019-00025.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 391

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
windows 8.1 installed from windows 8

Everything works fine except a problem with a soft named "fences" .

The download from microsoft store was very long.

All my programs and settings have been unchanged...i'm satisfied

D

Deleted member 178

not saying that cracked version of win8 will not be able to get the 8.1 from windows store; it just doesn't appear.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Moose- Don't know if you proceeded this way, but before a major upgrade I always uninstall any security software, do the OS upgrade, then reinstall whatever I happen to be using. In this case Comodo Firewall uninstalled fine and reinstalled without issue and is totally functional.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Is CIS compatible with Windows 8.1? I know there was a problem with the firewall.

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
ZeroDay said:
Is CIS compatible with Windows 8.1? I know there was a problem with the firewall.

CIS 6.3 is compatible with win 8.1, but if you will upgrade to win 8.1 you have to re-install it

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply technology. It will be a fresh install of 8.1, Is CIS 6.3 a beta or final? I haven't been following things very closely for a while lol.

Edit: Just checked it's final. Thanks again.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Did / Do you have another PC that ran Windows 8, and did you use the Sync settings?

Q: Why do I have a list of modern applications on my Windows 8.1 Start Screen with a download arrow on them?

A: Windows 8.1 adds the ability to synchronize the Start Screen content between computers for "Modern" applications. If you are on a machine that doesn't have the Modern application installed, the icon will still show with a download arrow, as the screen shot below shows. This makes it easy to then install the missing applications by just clicking the download icon.

See More...

carl fish said:
I've installed windows 8.1 and noticed little down pointing arrows in the right hand corner of apps on the start screen has anyone else seen this and what does it mean?

You can probably remove those HP Getting Started apps, it's always available on the Store and MS also have a similar one.

laguna

Jun 11, 2013
nishadrox said:
Microsoft has released the Windows 8.1 update for its flagship operating system.

The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.

In particular, the update restores the start button and allows a computer to boot up with a traditional desktop interface.

The launch comes at a critical time for Microsoft as it seeks a new boss, with PC sales experiencing a long decline.

Windows 8 sought to bridge the gap between touchscreen devices, such as tablets and smartphones, and more traditional form laptops and desktop machines. As such it had an interface built of tiles that could be tapped or swiped to open applications.

However, many people found the tiled interface did not work well for some of the things they were used to doing with a computer.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
Additional reading: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available-to-download/

Official page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Just a heads up to those who may need to know: I just checked and discovered that the 8.1 upgrade reverted back to the almost impossible to use Shift + F8 routine to get into Safe Mode. I had previously set Win8 to use the legacy F8.

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
hi,
try this
http://www.lemondedestuts.org/windows/comment-parvenir-au-mode-sans-echec-f8-sous-windows-8

I

illumination

Moose said:
Hi,

Follow-up, from early today.

> Comodo Firewall would not work with Windows 8.1
> Try to uninstall Comodo Firewall and will not completely uninstall.
> Used Your Uninstall Pro! From the start!
> Kingsoft Antivirus did not have protection/disable, so I uninstall completely.

The Sony PC was a real headache the bsod keep shutting down. And the Samsung PC had back-up problems?

What is the best way to back-up Windows 8.1.

A. > Create a system image in case the PC will not boot? T
B. > And then back-up with a the entire C:/ Drive with a
software like RecImg Manager?
I would like to know if there is a better to do the above? If the
PC will not start?

Thanks!

Moose

With the Sony PC, There are two major updates that have to be installed before you can upgrade to windows 8.1

The main one, Viao update software, resolves many problems like the BSOD. On Sony's webpage under drivers for your system, you have to tick "show me updates only" to find these.

I ran into a problem with mine two days later. I had the ever so famous " batter is not connected properly or is not compatible with this system", pop up start, that wanted to throw my system in to hibernation mode to fix it. I ended up killing the ISB utility process in Task Manager, then disabling it in start up programs. Thought I would mention this, in case you run into it, as I did. I plan on contacting Sony today to find out, why an issue, they have had with every major Operating system upgrade has not been resolved yet.

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have a question

I recently upgraded my HP laptop that had windows 8 pre installed from the factory to windows 8,1 since I installed the upgrade 2 days ago, my computer seems much slower and sometimes is a little bit unresponsive does anyone know why?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Where in Windows 8.1 are you noticing slower performance, boot, during use etc?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you notice any program/service using your CPU intensively, via the Task Manager (More details view)?

Did you know if you close modern apps (from the Store) they remain in memory? Check the Task Manager to see what I mean.
To close them, you can either End Task from Task Manager, or PC Settings > PC and Devices > Corners and Edges > 'Clear List' ... Does that help?

I

illumination

Upon further assessment im am reformatting back to windows 8, I found many issues in the device manager, the biggest being that Intels Chipset LPC controller driver is not compatible with windows 8.1, None of my bluetooth drivers were compatible as well as the Sony Firmware Extension Parser Device Driver in the "human Interface Device" section.. Not to mention the ISB Utility mentioned above.

Lots of compatibility issues not noticed upon first installation. I would recommend anyone with a Sony to wait, stay with windows 8, Sony is now aware of all these issues, i placed a call to them this morning, they will release patches at a later date to make everything compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.