Advice Request Windows 8.1 released!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Microsoft has released the Windows 8.1 update for its flagship operating system.

The download seeks to address some of the criticisms levelled at the original version of Windows 8.

In particular, the update restores the start button and allows a computer to boot up with a traditional desktop interface.

The launch comes at a critical time for Microsoft as it seeks a new boss, with PC sales experiencing a long decline.

Windows 8 sought to bridge the gap between touchscreen devices, such as tablets and smartphones, and more traditional form laptops and desktop machines. As such it had an interface built of tiles that could be tapped or swiped to open applications.

However, many people found the tiled interface did not work well for some of the things they were used to doing with a computer.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
Additional reading: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available-to-download/

Official page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Must be affecting newer computers? Are you using a laptop or desktop? I know Sony desktops come with a receiver for the remote, which may not work without correct drivers.

I stopped using Sony drivers/software when I did a 2nd install of Windows 7, in 2010. My 2008 VAIO is running fine with 8.1.

I

illumination

Earth said:
Must be affecting newer computers? Are you using a laptop or desktop? I know Sony desktops come with a receiver for the remote, which may not work without correct drivers.

I stopped using Sony drivers/software when I did a 2nd install of Windows 7, in 2010. My 2008 VAIO is running fine with 8.1.

Im using a laptop. I have thought about removing all this "extra" from Sony a few times. I just got this system last Feb..

D

Deleted member 178

carl fish said:
I am noticing slower performance mainly during use of the computer,
start up seems normal

observed some of them also, mostly during opening of some windows

I

illumination

UPDATE: for those running Sony Viao's. The issue with upgrading to windows 8.1 I posted early in this thread, I figured out, after 3 phone calls to Sony and 2 web chats.. I got tired of messing with their support. Upon booting windows 8.1 as said in previous thread, I had to disable the ISB utility from the task manager, then from start up. I then went into Device manager, and found the "Sony Firmware Extension Parser" had been flagged in the Human Interface. Upon further examination, I found the Driver for this, was not signed, hence it being flagged, and all the problems like the ISB, my touchpad, ect.. I dug around through Sony's website for my model, through the drivers, and found they had patched this driver 3 months later back in 2012. Now why the Viao Update was not picking this up, is a good question, or why the Techs at Sony were not aware, but long story short, I downloaded the patch to the desktop, uninstalled the version already on the system, restarted, applied the patch, and all is well now, everything is working smooth and sweet.. Was too bad I could not rely on Support from them to solve this issue. Hope this helps others with the same problem!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
illumination, you may be able to grab updates from newer VAIO models that work with your current VAIO, make sure they use the same hardware etc.
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/VAIO (EU & UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.