Advice Request Windows 8.1 Update Coming Tomorrow

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
FileHippo - http://news.filehippo.com/2014/04/windows-8-1-update-coming-tomorrow/

Windows 8 users are probably looking forward to getting some much needed improvements to their operating system. The adoption rate of Microsoft’s latest operating system leaves no doubt as to how unsatisfied people are with it – Windows 7 still dominates the operating system market share. Even Windows XP beats Windows 8!

Come April 8, however, Microsoft will be releasing the latest Windows 8.1 update.

So what’s going to be new?

One of the main things is that the operating system will now automatically know whether you’re using a desktop or a tablet – that may seem a to be trifling detail but it can make the user experience much better.

Another change is that Microsoft is bringing back the title bar at the top for full-screen apps; so, if you want to “get out” of the app, you simply have to click the “X” at the title bar.

Now I am not sure whether this detail falls under “wanted” and “improvement”, but the Windows Store is now automatically pinned to the taskbar on the desktop. At least when you need to purchase something – anything – you have fewer clicks/taps to make.

If you are the type that does not do well with changes, though, and you want to keep things the way they are, there’s no need to fret. In this latest update, Microsoft is going to give you the option to set your startup preferences. So, whether you want the desktop or the tiles, you can take your pick.

On the downside, if you’re looking for the Start Button of old, that’s not going to happen for this update. However, Microsoft does say that a future update will bring that back – sort of. That is, the old Start Button will be combined with live tiles. Hopefully, that will provide the happy medium between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
update for win 8.1 32-bit is now shown in windows update for me... :D

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
MrExplorer is correct. Look under

> Control Panel
> System and Security
> Windows Update
> Check for updates
> Check & install;)

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Okay, Windows Update just gave me one file for the Windows 8.1 Update 1... now my current Windows Build, which I suppose to be the latest for 32-bit users:

9600.17041.x86fre.winblue_gdr.140305-1710

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I installed the update and the right mouse click on metro apps is finally ok, I was afraid about the touch mode, I can still select multiple items with my finger but with mouse , I have to use the keyboard (control + right click).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.