Solved Windows 8 x64 monitor/power saver issue black screen plus more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Hi guys,

I recently built a PC and I installed Windows 8 x64 on it. I have high performance set as my power profile. I have the monitor set to turn off after 30 min of inactivity. When I return to my PC after 30 minutes or more of inactivity and I move the mouse or hit buttons on the keyboard sometimes the screen just stays black. It won't recover. Therefore, the only option I have is to restart the PC. Does anyone know what I can try to resolve this? I am using a ASUS LCD monitor which is attached to CFX Dual Sapphire HD7970's.

Another problem I have ran into with Windows 8 x64 is when I go into the services there is no description for them. When I notice this has happened I have found that all the default power profiles are missing. I can't figure out what the heck is causing it but I have seen that other people have had this issue as well. However, I haven't been able to find much info on the problem. When I did a Google search I found one topic saying it has something to do with a driver in AVAST which I was using at the time. However, I believe it has something to do with disk and registry cleaners. I have had to reinstall about 10 times due to this happening. I have tried using different cleaning utilities each time. I have tried CCleaner, Wise, and a few others. However, after each install I kept installing AVAST. I did a clean install yesterday and this time i am just using Windows Defender and Windows firewall. I am going to see if it happens again. I also have no cleaning utilities installed. Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Rocky

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Rocky- As you have a Radeon try this- Go into Services and see the status of the AMD External Events Utility. It may be disabled by default and could be the root cause of the issue. Set it to Automatic and reboot. Let us know if this helped.

Meghan

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
cruelsister said:
Rocky- As you have a Radeon try this- Go into Services and see the status of the AMD External Events Utility. It may be disabled by default and could be the root cause of the issue. Set it to Automatic and reboot. Let us know if this helped.

Meghan

Hi Meghan,

Thanks for your reply. I am showing that it is running and set to automatic. I have had this issue happen since the clean install yesterday. I have also left out AVAST and registry/disk cleaners. That way I could try to rule them out as being part of the problem. So far the service descriptions are all still there and the power plans are all there too. It just every so often I can't get the monitor to recovery when it turns off after 30 min. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Rocky

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
It might be best to just use Windows 8 default security setup. Don't use any third-party disk cleaners or registry cleaners. Don't add any other security software.

Just use Windows default disk cleanup. Use Actions Center to solve system problems.

See if these problems occur again, if not then one of the products is responsible.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
So far I have been able to add Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Online Armor to my setup with no problems. There has been no problem with the monitor so far either. I am going to try to add CCleaner to the PC now and see if there is any problems. If not then my guess would be either it was some form of virus/malware or one of the disk/registry cleaners I used messed it up.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I'm betting it was the registry cleaners, they are known to cause problems.

CCleaner is safe but many others are not safe.

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
Littlebits said:
I'm betting it was the registry cleaners, they are known to cause problems.

CCleaner is safe but many others are not safe.

I think the problem is AVAST. I have found a lot of posts about a so called "Blackscreen Syndrome" from it. Here are some posts I found. One on AVAST's forum and one here.

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
grimreaper1014 said:
I think the problem is AVAST. I have found a lot of posts about a so called "Blackscreen Syndrome" from it. Here are some posts I found. One on AVAST's forum and one here.

Did you try the fix instructed here? Did it fix the black screen issue you were having?

Upvote 0

grimreaper1014

Level 3
Thread author
Jul 9, 2011
@MrXidus

I ended up stumbling on this after the fact. I no longer have AVAST installed. I switched back to Emsisoft. I was just posting so that way if someone else stumbled across the same problem they might be able to fix it. Plus I didn't get many hits online when I searches so hopefully this will add to the collection of solutions that popup when the problem is searched for.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.